Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon Options Help Needed

Options
  • 15-04-2003 1:53pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want DSL asap but given that IOL/ESAT are not going to be in the Leixlip area I reckon I will have to make do with eircon for supply.
    My current dial up gives me about 20-25kbps (on different modems) which is crap. Eircon blame everyone for the quality but themselves. The PC is not networked.
    If I go for the self install option which I assume is not rocket science will I have any fallback if the connection is also crap - would I be better off getting the technician to install and while he is at it to check the line?
    If i go for the self install do I have to buy their modem or can I buy my own at (I assume) a lower price than Eircons (120 or 200 Euro options).
    Is USB better for me than ethernet?
    If i end up taking theirs am I renting it or buying it outright? (I assume buying outright).
    How long is the contract (if any) or can I cancel whenever I want?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

There's other threads covering these questions here, in Net/Comms and IrelandOffline.
    What do you mean by "if the connection is crap", what sort of speeds are you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's unlikely your line wil be "crap" if you get xDSL. Your line will need to pass a test first of all at your local exchange to qualify. If your line is as bad as you say of course there's the chance that you won't qualify.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It doesn't matter now as €ircon DSL sales have told me that my line failed their test.
    "Why?" I asked - "was it the line itself or the distance from exchange?"
    "I don't really know - ring 1901 and ask repairs" I was told
    ...rings 1901/repairs...
    "oh no - you want to talk to DSL sales - they will tell you" was their answer!
    Anyone know where the exchange is for Leixlip?

OK now I am really confused with €ircon.
    Browsing through their site I decided to do a line test and each time I do it it brings me back to a main eircom page (http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/mainPage.jsp). Does the fact that it doesn't state whether I am eligible or not mean that I am not eligible? or am I? :confused::confused:

After telling me last week that my line failed and that i can't get DSL I rang €ircon again today and mentioned that I had been told a few months back that I could get DSL :D - the girl did a line check and whaddaya know, I am now eligible for it!!!
    Fair play to Sir Tony & crew - sure mustn't they have fixed my line while I wasn't looking

• Advertisement
Advertisement