Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HCR or not HCR

Options
  • 15-04-2003 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if a scenario written for the Hard Core ruleset can be run without the HCR?

specifically, could we run a HCR designed module on our server without havingot convert the characters to HCR?

And on a side note, once this campaign series finishes, what would peeps think of running through a HCR campaign? (much closer to PnP DnD and a lot more difficult. You really dont want to have your character die... no, really.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Seldon

You trying to kill the party again!!! lol

~Could be fun, HCR would have to organise the party a bit better and it won't be such a loot and plunder, more of a duck and cover.
    Memories of ppl running away screaming

"Please don't kill me Mr. Monster, I'm weak, have no HPs and NO MAGICAL items" :p:D

I'm up for the challange.

OH and death to all rust monsters.... Long live the videodrome!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

hmmm... maybe I should stay mage after all :p

being CQB with hardcore rules ain't as fun as with non-HCR ;)
    not nearly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

if anything you'll find mage harder. Rest restrictions are pretty severe in HCR. It's pretty much PnP D&D, so that's one rest every 24 hours, or 1 every 8 if you have a bed roll.

It would also have the material component plug in (why go half way when we can really make it awkward :) ).

Raise dead, resurrection and true resurrection are still in the game, it just costs a lot of money ( you have to find a 9th level cleric and pay a total of 950gp for a raise dead). The penalty for being raised is level loss (you lose enough XP to place you halfway up the previous level) or 1 permanent hit point if you are 1st level, but this rarely happens as it is usually easier to bring in a new 1st level character.

Healing potions can be used on other people and healing kits are in. All in all it looks like a very nice system. And should make for a tough but interesting campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

you're scaring me, dude....

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Seldon

Get use to it .. he's been doing that to me for years...

Still i got to play a doppleganger, Now that was fun...

if only NWN would allow for somthing like that.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Ahhh HCR what fun

In my one and only HCR PnP campaign i went through no less than 5 characters.

First was an insane elf. Had some pretty nice stats and a pretty legend mercurial greatsword. Lost him to a river troll. Literally got ripped in half, funny thing was i had taken a potion of levitate so the two halves of my body were still floating along the water.

Next was a half dragon with a firebreath attack once per day. That came in handy for awhile, till i met a mirror image of myself and got a taste of my own 5D6 medicine.

Then came the dwarven defender. The party was under siege in a barracks, i voluntered to hold the front door while they climbed to the roof and escaped. It worked. They got away, i didnt :(

Ah the great magician Colron. Dont you just hate it when you get sneak attacked by a lvl 17 assasin. Woulda been grand, if he hadnt rolled a 20, Hate that massive damage rule :(

Lastly was my arcane archer. He survived till the end of the campaign, and in fact his hail of arrows attack was crucial(very handy when its 200 against 2000) to winning.

Making those new characters was a bit of a balls but still it was a god laugh. I wouldnt mind a HCR campaign in NWN. Bit more of a challenge.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Excuse my ignorance, but what's HCR?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

HCR = Hard core Ruleset

It's much more like Pen n Paper D&D.

you cant respawn, you have to be raised or resurrected (at a cost of at least 950gp, so 1st elvel characters are usually left to rot).

Resting requires bedrolls and rations and you can only rest every 24 hours (unless you have a bedroll in which case you can rest every 8 hours) - unlike the normal game where you can rest anytime you want.

Bleeding and stabilising rules are added, along with the fact that potions of curing are usable on others.

When you die, your body is left there and can be looted :) I mean, your posessions can be collected by your trustworthy friends. And the body can be picked up and carried to a temple or safe haven etc.

Searching for traps requires a roll and does not just "take 20" every time. Disarming traps is also a roll and not an automatic 20.

Generally it requires a lot more teamwork and more considered and planned play as charging in just wont work any more.

In a sense, the players do get screwed over, but only in comparison to the official rules. Compared to the proper D20 rules the players still have it easy (the big wusses :p ).

Advertisement