Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hi-speed to i-stream conversion - have I missed something?

• 15-04-2003 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

I have hi-speed at the moment and am considering getting i-stream. If I understand correctly, this means downgrading to PSTN first with whatever costs that entails, 'cos rDSL wont work over a digital line(?).

The problem is that I need the second phone line - I use it as a business number, so if I get rid of hi-speed I still need to pay for two lines. When I check out eircom's site it looks like the line rental is cheaper for 2 lines with hi-speed (37.50pm)than it is for 2 analog lines and no hi-speed (42.30pm) - is line rental really that expensive in this country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Comreg have forced eircom to do the downgrading for free.

afaik, however, you cannot use the self install option in this case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Do you use 1 Line for Voice and 1 for Data

as the DSL sits on top of the existing Pstn Line so you can still use it for voice.
    The way I see it you have 2 options wait 2 weeks and get you ISDN tested and then Migrated over to DSL and use the pstn for your Business line leaving you 17.48 +vat or get in a new Pstn line for 107.48 +vat and hope for the best with DSL .

I reckon stick to the First wait and get your line tested and see from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

so then it's not really free :confused: its cost of eircom install minus cost of self-install.

Actually it's not the install cost that bothers me it's the fact that by ditching hi-speed my line rental costs increase :(

Comreg have forced eircom to do the downgrading for free.

It will cost €24.99 for the downgrade
    and you can use the DIY DSL Option

Actually it's not the install cost that bothers me it's the fact that by ditching hi-speed my line rental costs increase

When you downgrade your ISDN line you will only be left with 1 pstn line (€17.48 + vat) So you line rental will come down by 14 or so euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Cheers for the info. Unfortunately, I need two lines with two individual phone numbers which is what I have now. Cost with hi-speed 35pm, cost without hi-speed 42.30pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

You can keep the ISDN lines and get dsl or so VIA told me.
    Not sure how that would work tho.
    I know in Europe they can do DSL over ISDN lines but here i imagine ud have dsl then 2 seperate isdn lines. so 3 times line rental i guess.

can anyone confirm?

Advertisement