Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching providers

Options
  • 15-04-2003 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Anyone hazard a guess at this..

If i connect through VIA and in 2 months time decide to switch providers, do you think i'll have to order one of their starter packs? At extra cost? Surely not as the DSLAM? has already been put in and switched on for my number?

I'm pretty sure I wouldnt but then this is Ireland.. ::rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I doubt it as long as you tell them you already have the modem etc but well, if you decide to go for a wireless option instead then you'll have to buy it all all over again.
    I know that in England it's pretty painless to change dsl isps so you hopefully wouldn't have too much trouble doing the same thing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Good point, but i cant ever see wireless
    coming over to north co. dublin
    way too clever for IBB to install a mast
    on howth head..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Mmm well a lot of people seem to be having problems with IBB anyway and maybe adding new users atm would be the worst thing they could do in terms of service quality. Other options will come along though, maybe ntl some time in the far future but again you'd need to change your equipment as their cable.
    There aren't really all that many dsl options anyway so as long as you make the informed choice to begin with there should be no need to swap around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

in 2 months time decide to switch providers, do you think i'll have to order one of their starter packs? At extra cost?

That's what I thought...I've had yeahs and nays (and some downright rudeness - why do I always get in an argument?) from Biddy, but a very knowledgeable supervisor explained it today.

You get VIA, they plug the internet part of your phoneline spectrum into their (VIA's) DSLAM. They bill you - at the exchange it is all VIA's stuff which eircom can't touch.

You quit VIA, they pull you out. Eircom have to plug you back in and that will cost you 99 bucks. They don't seem that interested in 'winback' deals at this stage.

Anyone know is there any competition legislation around DSL account switching??

maDSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

maDSL
    You quit VIA, they pull you out. Eircom have to plug you back in and that will cost you 99 bucks.

What a ****ing mess, surely this can be nipped in the bud before it happens? If the exchange is already enabled for your line why should you have to pay twice / n every time you want to switch provider? Its just pure greed :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement