Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE to broadcast Ireland Home games.

• 15-04-2003 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

THE final debate on legislation to ensure that Ireland's competitive home international matches are shown live on terrestrial television begins in the Dail today.

It is expected to be passed by tomorrow and, once President Mary McAleese signs the new Act into law, RTE will be in a position to re-enter into negotiations with the FAI for the rights to show the forthcoming Euro 2004 qualifiers against Albania, Georgia and Russia.
    It's nice to see how effective the government can be, once someone starts to interfere with Berties footy! :D

Article here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

woo !

take that rupert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

so whats this mean for Sky? surely this would mean in the future RTE get a share but wouldnt the FAI have to honour their contract with SKY? it was 7 million after all, doubt FAI can just cough that up, unless the government is gonna.

Im just curious how this will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

this will make contracts worthless unless there is a bidding war between RTÉ, TV3 and TG4. well done to the government. you have messed up again

so the fai will have to practically give the rights to RTE for nothing since no one else is gonna bother bidding?
    (unless sky want em for their english fans)

I know this will make most people happy but its the most idiotic thing ever unless RTE actually give them value for money instead of 1 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I agree with you guys. The FAI should be allowed to sell the rights to the highest bidder. I would rather see them give the rights to TV 3 for free then see RTE get them for a pittance. I am sick to death of RTE taking this kind os thing for granted, just because they are the state broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I'm with Rupert and the FAI on this one. RTE's treatment is dreadful. They purchase the rights to the English Premiership for millions (in fact, they are so arrogant, they don't even tell us how much) when we can see a superior version only hours later on UTV. Then they have no money left for the Irish international games. Its a sham, and I don't think its done and dusted yet. Sky still have a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

looks like the Ireland matches will be back on tv in the very near future!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2003/0416/soccer/tvrights.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They never went off my Tv just got better with sound and picture quality increasing so umm it can stay that way and RTE can feck off.

kdjac

why doesnt the government do something worthwhile for once :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>the Ireland matches will be back on tv

You mean amateur, gangster tv?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by Bateman
    >the Ireland matches will be back on tv

You mean amateur, gangster tv?

Not really. I think most people new what I meant ... ie terrestrial tv.

I can see what people mean that Sky maybe do a better quality service than RTE/TV3. But I really hate the commentary on Sky, and the fact that at the last Ireland game it was billed as a kind of warm up to their main event of the evening ... the England game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Then Press the red button and watch the No Commentator option something badly needed by RTE and TV3.

I cant see how the goverment can get away with this the FAI and SKy have a deal and that deal is legally binding.

kdjac

Maybe its for when the current deal ends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i hope it is. RTÉ should stand on their own feet and not rely on the government to spoon feed them

Advertisement