Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Big Brother Watching

Options
  • 15-04-2003 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Just wondering. I use Windows XP. I have over 1000 mp3's, loads of videos, mainly short wrestling clips and a load of pirate software, eg. premiere, photoshop, 3dsMax. I use the internet a lot and also Kazaa. Just wondering, what are the chances of me getting in trouble for all this. Has anyone ever been prosecuted in Ireland for this kinda thing? Can my files be viewed by someone without my knowledge? Can my location and details be traced?
    Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I remember a while ago Adobe announced that they had tracking software or something installed to there software but didnt tell anyone. They went a knocking on some doors and going blah blah blah money money money etc.

USually they only go after the big guys but if you brought your computer in for repairs you may get snactched :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

better suited to Civil Liberties forum perhaps?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by ImpactPlayer
    I use the internet a lot and also Kazaa. Just wondering, what are the chances of me getting in trouble for all this. Has anyone ever been prosecuted in Ireland for this kinda thing?
    Not to my knowledge. I've only heard of people who actually sold pirated software/music being prosecuted. If you have the stuff for your own personal use, it's highly unlikely you'll be prosecuted. (You're still breaking the law though).
    Can my files be viewed by someone without my knowledge?
    Any files you have shared over Kazaa can be viewed by any other Kazaa user. Any files you have not shared using Kazaa aren't visible to anyone else (assuming you haven't been hacked).
    Can my location and details be traced?
    Anyone on the internet can find out which ISP you're using, given your IP address. In order to find out who you are from your IP address, they'd have to ask your ISP. I've no idea how Irish ISPs deal with requests for subscriber information in practice, but as far as I know, the Data Protection Act forbids the ISP to hand out subscriber info to any third party without your consent (or a search warrant, of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ImpactPlayer

Thanks. Thats very reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

ImpactPlayer the very fact you posted on here admitting you broke the law means you can be tracked. Your IP traced by the admins of this booard and passed along to the authorities... but guess what? I doubt DeVore could be arsed doing that. The authorities might not even care unless you are copying the software and selling it on. Dont worry too much.. just dont get creative and start selling copies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are there really any such laws in place in Ireland, though? If so, what are they called?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It would just fall under copyright laws.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Gives me the idea to post a poll maybe. hmmmmm

Advertisement