Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy Francophiles In Great Britain

• 15-04-2003 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

TV5 GOOD NEWS FOR THE BRITS....
    Our neighbours in G.B. are happy to inform each other on digitalspy that TV5 has been upgraded in Telewest areas thus allowing more people to avail of a channel in another language.....

Spare a thought for us in ntl Ireland in Dublin (Galway and Waterford) where we lost the world's third most available satellite tv station, TV5, from our basic service after eight years whereas the other anglo/american cable company, Chorus, continues to provide the service in dormitory towns around Dublin and elsewhere in Ireland including our second city, Cork, for over fifteen years.

Dublin now has the honour of being the ONLY much cabled capital in the European Union and Greater Europe providing tv in ONE language exclusively to all in the very basic (cheapest) package of 15-20 channels. To date I have discovered that six of the ten new Union countries have TV5 in their cheapest cable service in their capitals and also English and German channels.

And we're not even British!
    Or is it that ntl wants to improve our spoken English......and perhaps the grammar (past tense of verbs etc.) of a certain leading Irish politician...... Is he counted among the 44% (from January this will be 56%) of Union citizens who do not have adequate English.

But, oh yes, the government elected by our people did support that WAR. What else would (or could) one expect from a former colony?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by a bientot
    Dublin now has the honour of being the ONLY much cabled capital in the European Union and Greater Europe providing tv in ONE language exclusively to all in the very basic (cheapest) package of 15-20 channels. To date I have discovered that six of the ten new Union countries have TV5 in their cheapest cable service in their capitals and also English and German channels.
    Could this be becuase TV5 is a cheap option to carry on a cable system to "pad" it out? Now I don't have the exact carriage rates they charge, but I'm sure they're not as expensive as say UK Gold.

You know the probs with the analogue NTL network. Capacity. With analogue shut down within the next 10years, isn't it time we all invested in Digital. I did and I've got TV5 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You are not comparing like for like, in this case. It is appearing on Telewest digital cable service, not on analogue cable. TV5 as far as I am aware is available on NTL Digital packages here. So, in understanding your grievance with NTL over losing it on the analogue package, the argument that you have posted here now doesn't hold much water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

No one will ever again mention funny languages or anything so weird or peculiar or as absurd, daft, bizarre, mad tv channels in other languages when Bertie and Mary achieve their dream of taking us out of the Union but this will not happen until George rewards us for our loyalty during THE WAR by admitting us as another U.S. state.
    Remember permission will be required from London.

Perhaps, he who must be obeyed Bush might consider giving us ALL one hundred channels in the American 'language' for 10 euro a month.

But meanwhile we remain part of a Union and there is a world beyond Dover and Cobh.....

QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

:rolleyes:

No politics here, a bientot, thank you. Remember Christy G. The Politics forum is thataway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement