Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal 2

Options
  • 15-04-2003 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Many of ye may or may not have played the first Postal game...a game banned in so many countries for its kill everything then kill yourself attitude (the church level really sticks in my mind)

but i managed to obtain the sequel to this game Postal2....and somethings have changed

The game is now fully 3d, with it being based on the Unreal2 engine...

There is a lot less emphasis on scuicidal tendencies

You are no longer a postal worker, you are a games developer

You are married....

Its not your average fps...early missions are based around everyday tasks, as in get the milk, get your paycheck and most of these early mission can be completed like any everyday task but instead you felt the need to walk into the shop storeroom and set the shop owners daughters on fire and piss on the bodies which can make things a little diificult for you when a bystander calls the police and the shopowner comes in back with a 12 gauge...this is the fun of this game...you can do your simple missions but somehow i end up like ole Richy Ramierez and start making house calls...

after a few missions you'll have to do something dangerous just incase you have been a good little boy...

and this is the beauty of this game...it doesnt pretend to take itself seriously and infact its very surreal, watch out for the Gary Coleman mission

Its a joy to play but you're going to need a beast of a machine to play it, unreal2 level graphics...the humour and violence can be a bit much for some but i had a good time with it and there are some challenging missions later on, there are hints that multiplayer may be an add-on in a upcoming patch which i'm drooling over

If you enjoyed games like Redneck rampage, Postal, GTA (level of violence..no cars :() then this is for you, grab your twelve gauge stick a cat on the barrel as a silencer and away you go

Go postal!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I read the review in PC Zone this month.

Hadn't thought much about it tbh but seemed like it might be worth buying on budget sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I like gratuitous violence like the next male, but the urinating is just pure sick. These guys obviously have some weird fetishes, or included it just to get media attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I downloaded the demo the other night and I have to say Im not really impressed. Yes its fun to break into peoples houses and throw oil over them / set them on fire etc for the first five minutes but it gets boring quickly. If they had included more realistic models for the people (like the ones in SOF2 possibly) it would have made it more fun. Also if the level was 'realer' and more like a proper suburban area (this is just based on the small area ive seen from the demo mind you).

It just seems a bit gimicky to me really.. 'we cant be bothered to put in enough effort to make our game good so lets just make it really controversial'.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They were trying to cash in on the controversy of GTA3 and GTA:VC. They missed one vital ingredient - gameplay.

Its getting disasterous reviews everywhere, as far as I can see. One to avoid, methinks....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

I hear that its possible to use a cat as a silencer?

Well any game with gary coleman and feline muzzle flash supression has to be good :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't find this game too sick. That was until I started pissing bloodly piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I didn't find this game too sick. That was until I started pissing bloodly piss.

And what, praytell, did you expect yourself to be pissing, other than piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by SyxPak
    And what, praytell, did you expect yourself to be pissing, other than piss?

Non "bloodly" piss maybe.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Better off just playing the demo for 20 minutes and forgetting about it, rather than buying it. It's funny for about that long, until you realise theres not much to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Good lord. What were you doing with the game that caused that - beating yourself in the crotch repeatedly with the DVD case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

gary.jpg

what u talking!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

I just found this on the official site its "this day in postal history"

this one owns

This day in POSTAL history:

April 24, 1916 -
    The Easter Rebellion begins when the 'Irish Republican Brotherhood' seizes the British-held General Post Office in Dublin. Many throne-worshipping Limey bastards are killed. 'The boys are going postal!' becomes an IRA rallying and recruitment catch phrase during the insurrections of 1919 and 1923, but did anyone sue THEM over a supposed trademark infringement? Hell, no!

:D LoL :D me likes it alot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shinji I was looking at pictures of ur ma :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I like the idea of a game where you can do anything you like, but postal 2 seems to be all gimicks. I suppose the closest thing to compare it to is GTA3, where it is sometimes fun to take out the M60 (I know it's supposed to be an M16 but a M16 mag doesn't hold 60 bullets) and pop a few heads, but I can't imagine that an entire game based on doing only things like that would be much fun.

So kudos on the idea (half assed tho it may be) but we want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by TmB
    They were trying to cash in on the controversy of GTA3 and GTA:VC. They missed one vital ingredient - gameplay.

Its getting disasterous reviews everywhere, as far as I can see. One to avoid, methinks....

- Dave.

Dave hits the nail on the head. Postal one was a load of kack and the only reason everyone was making a fuss over it was due to the nature of how people got killed in it. After the shock value disappears there is nothing in the game whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's a ****e game. Absolutely. If you're a bit of a psycho you might enjoy it for a while, but the game is buggy as hell and lacking in any serious gameplay.

Had a few "funny" (ie slight chuckle) moments like when you actually did start pissing blood (STDs), or using the cat as the silencer. And the
    apocolypse at the end where it rains cats - meoowww splat.

You'll walk into something and get stuck a lot. The game will then say "oh I noticed you're stuck, I'll move you", and you reappear a few inches away from the previous spot. Invisible walls. General weirdness

One good thing? It's a very short game. Two paws down from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by #MEAT#
    This day in POSTAL history:

April 24, 1916 -
    The Easter Rebellion begins when the 'Irish Republican Brotherhood' seizes the British-held General Post Office in Dublin. Many throne-worshipping Limey bastards are killed. 'The boys are going postal!' becomes an IRA rallying and recruitment catch phrase during the insurrections of 1919 and 1923

????

Are they on about the civil war?

The retro review:

Fairly naff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

This game was fun for about 30 minutes. Then it turned into the most boring piece of....

Advertisement