Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right this is a rant and rave against eircom

Options
  • 15-04-2003 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

Right these ****ers have really gotten my blood boiling, last friday when I-stream starter was launched, i duly rang in like everyone else and got my line tested and Yeah everything passed ok nps so i said id get back to them later to order.

So i was getting costs and asking questions here and elsewhere about modems and where to get em ETC. So i had 2 more questions about the service for eircom, so i went onto the live chat area, biggest flaming mistake i ever made, the first guy i got was answering all my questions professionnaly but he got cut off so i reconnected, well i got a right ****er altogether.

First thing he said is my line hasnt passed, i said what, i said 2 of your people have already said i did pass, no you havent do you want ISDN, no i said i want the BB, ring 1901 get your line tested then ring the BB order line again, there could be a fault, but i dont have to its already passed and 2 of you agents said it had, if you have a complaint ring head office good bye and got cut off

Now FFS this is ridicolous, i dont know anything now and am back at square 1

I requested a transcript of the converstaion and will post it as soon as i have it

GRRRR

SHIN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Just so everyone can see what a shower these idiots are

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Well all i can add other than their a bunch of c.unts is that when i heard the exchange in my area (leixlip) had been upgraded and i heard ppl had passsed the test and all when i rang up to see if i could get it they didn't even do a line test thay just said no its not available there yet. But the exchange had been upgraded?!?
    I dunno maybe thats to b expected with adsl...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

All these posts are making me really nervous.

my line has passed, but it's only "passed with a test warning". so the engineer has to test it out or something before you know for sure.

I really, really want ADSL. Please, please don't let it fail when the engineer tries it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

All I can say is that signing up with eircom will be the biggest mistake you will make this year. They fu<k the consumer up the ass for a living. Take the alternative. Any alternative. They are all trying to best eircom in things like customer service and quality; the things eircom don't even see.

Eircom don't have a clue how to offer a service.

Jesus, they refuse people who could pass the test because their online test is total bollix. This is not the way to follow, people. A company that is too thick to even pass prospective customers on their service should be ignored.

For gods sake have some pride and go with ANYTHING else.

Just not the people who have bent you over the counter for 5-10 odd years.

Sorry, but I hate to see them actually take customers after all the shiyte that they have put them through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

I totally understand the feeling...

Here's my story, in November i rang requesting an ADSL line test; they told me to ring back later, however in December I was abroad so on my return in mid-January I rang again and was told I passed. Now as my dad uses the internet alot for video conferencing and stuff, he was willing to pay e107 per month for i-stream solo and I duly rang in Feb/March and they told me I had passed, and were all ready to go out and hook me up, but then I heard wholesale prices were going to be cut in half, so I decided to wait.. Mid-April now, i-stream starter is out, rang today to order, was told my line failed. I said this was impossible. She made me ring 1901-2 and check for a line fault, there was none, so I rang back and they told me I failed.

Funny thing is IOL broadband are all willing to set me up, saying I passed.. and as I understand, IOL broadband is what EsatBT buy at wholesale rates from eircom at my local exchange...

I wanted to go eircom as I wanted to have my own modem.. but err, I guess EsatBT it's going to be.

Stupid eircom don't have a fcuking clue.

• Advertisement

Heres the chat transscript from last night conversation with the i-stream interactice people, strange they actually sent it through but hey make of this what you will

i-stream : Welcome to eircom ie Web Chat , How can I help you?

You : sorry about this its colm again been disconnected twice now

i-stream : how can i help you colm?

You : anyway last question im going to go for self install option for BB, now the total outlay would for setup would 210 euro, 100 for connectuion, and 2 months rental

You : at 110

i-stream : sorry colm but your line has failed

You : rang eircom on friday the agent said it passed

i-stream : the account attached to the number you have given in your details is under a different name.

You : s

i-stream : sorry?

You : yes that my mothers account

i-stream : ok well i've checked the line and unfortunately it has failed the only alternative would be to ring 1901 and ask them to run a line check to see if there are any faults on the line.

i-stream : once we have recieved a failed out come you are unable to have dsl.

You : yes but you agent on friday told me that it has passed so im kinda bewildered here as to whats right and whats isnt, she ran the test and it said it had passed, i presume the test is the same that your running, how can it pass one day and not the next

i-stream : your exchange is dsl enabled but not your line i'm very sorry for the confusion

You : ok so the agent I was through to last friday and the agent i was on chat to just a few minutes ago said it passed and now it hasnt, right when is it going to be enabled then

i-stream : ring 1901 then ring us again on 1800503303 i'm sorry but your line has failed according to my systems the same systems all other agents are working off. 1901 will check for a fault on the line that maybe the problem

You : ok I know my line is not dsl enabled how do i go about enabling it i thought that was part of the install

You : of i steam

You : sorry i stream

i-stream : ring 1901 check for a fault there is nothing you can do to rectify a fail on your line

You : and if there isnt a fault any advice

i-stream : i'm very sorry the technology is very sensitive to distance and line quality once they are not up to standard there is nothing you can do sorry

i-stream : have you considered hi speed 64ks and with the 2 channels 128k

You : well id like to register a complaint, i do realise that its not your fault and im not getting onto you directly, but 2 of your agents have said that i can get Istream starter on my line with nps, and now your system is saying i cant get it even though ive had my line tested for esat broadband as they asked me to do it and it passed and that my exchnage is DSL enabled

You : the eircom line test that is

i-stream : i understand what you are saying, when we you told on web chat that your line passed?

You : about half an hour ago

You : and the tecg agent last friday when the service was launched

i-stream : call head office to register your complaint 1800671444 thank you

You : thank you for your assistance

Now heres the update to the saga this morning, did exactly what the guy above said to do, I rang 1901 got line tested and lo and behold it passed, so rang the BB people, line test failed again for BB, bought the girl upto speed, she said that shell ring later this evening so that she could pass the case onto her supe, probably will be waiting till hell freezes over on that call, i was kicking myself though cause i didnt get the guys name that tested my line, so rang back got the girls name this time just in case i need it later on, so she tested it and she came came saying that its coming back that theres a short on the line, didnt want to get into the whole thing so just asked her whats going on, she said do you have anything else plugged into the line, i said all thats plugged in is the computer on the same line, she said to unplug it and she tested again, passed this time, so according to the repairs department in dublin theres nothing wrong with the line, so the question this morning is would having the comp plugged in while their doing the test for the Broadband automatically fail me or am i really grasping for straws cause when on friday I passed the test for i-sream the comp was plugged in

All in all though im having great fun, i could go like this all day

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

There have been some recorded issues with people who have cordless phones or various extensions plugged into their master socket failing the test.

As far as I know, all the lines which are off enabled exchanges have already been tested and the results are stored in a database, which is what you access when you try their online test.

However when exactly these lines were tested I am unsure of. So if having certain types of telecoms appliances hooked up in your home has affected the first test that was carried out, it would be advisable to request another test and try to co-ordinate unplugging any suspect phone devices or extensions before they do it. It may be the reason why some people are getting lucky with retests. But some previous failures are also passing now because of the range increase with using RADSL instead of ADSL.

well eircom has surpassed themselves. didnt get a call from them naturally so i rang back. and i spoke to the biddy i was talking to before

Apparently theres no way no how or never can i get Broadband apparently ever from Eircom

Gonna ring now and register a complaint with eircoms head office.

Damn bastards said i could get it now i cant so ill have to go esat or utvip or whatbloody ever

SHIN

Rang eircom again, she was was reading the notes about my account where she 'admitted' that I was informed that I passed the ADSL test and how they were all set to send me out forms for i-stream solo, however now she says I have failed for both i-stream solo and starter.. no reason given. And that sorry, she can't give me ADSL.

I rang EsatBT but they just took my details and said they will ring me back in mid-May.

Im now thinking of VIA.. as I believe they'll let me use my own modem. Stupid eircom, I was actually willing to pay for their service...

Yeah this is very weird,, thats exactly what i got, well give it to you on day and then for no reason they fail you the next and give no reason why

Does eircom actually want to give broadband to anybody whatsoever My only option is the more expensive esatbt offering in may, expensive as in installation not monthly rental.

VIA is out mainly because there not nationwide apparently

same old **** same old country

shin

• Advertisement

When we ring and ask for a test to be done on our line, do they do the actual test then, or do they simply have a database of lines that passed/failed during testings they did at earlier times.

What Im getting at here is would it possible for me to request they do a full test on my line again, as my neighbour passed, and houses further up have passed.. [Well, they all did in February, however they havent gotten it tested recently, one house does have istream solo which he says works fine].

If only Id let eircom install istream solo for me in February and downgraded to RADSL now..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by shinzon
    Yeah this is very weird,, thats exactly what i got, well give it to you on day and then for no reason they fail you the next and give no reason why

Does eircom actually want to give broadband to anybody whatsoever My only option is the more expensive esatbt offering in may, expensive as in installation not monthly rental.

VIA is out mainly because there not nationwide apparently

same old **** same old country

shin

With the complete and utter uselessness of €ircon do you not think it would be worth the extra few bob on installation to go with someone else so that you don't have to deal with that shower of fcukers. I'd rather had my eyes scewered with red hot needles than give €ircon any more money than was absolutly neccessary (ie. line rental).

I cant get broadband on any ISP that uses eircom exchanges, what the customer support said to me in eircom is that the exchange in Waterford has been upgraded to DSL but my line hasnt, I would dearly wish to go wih VIA, god id give my right GONAD to have VIA but i cant, the guys there said that the exchanges that support ESAT in waterford are ESATS themselves and not eircoms thats why i passed their test and not VIAS or eircoms

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Not an ideal solution but you could ask some of your neighbours, and use wireless for the rest of the way, paying for half or all of their DSL line.

ill be getting an engineer out to do a manual test on my line as im still fully convinced that eircom has fubared up somewhere

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

so the question this morning is would having the comp plugged in while their doing the test for the Broadband automatically fail me

My line kept failing for weeks last year. It was all due to the Sky Digibox being hooked into the phone box down stairs. The engineer told me that those digbox's have a habit of causing shorts on the line thus causing any line test for DSL to fail eircom's tests

ill be getting an engineer out to do a manual test on my line as im still fully convinced that eircom has fubared up somewhere

Shin

Howd you get them to do a manual test on your line? Id like to get one done on my line also, as I *know* I was passed two months ago (twice! on two separate occassions).

Also does anyone know if they do live tests when you ring them up or do they just look at the database?

All they do is look at the Database, as for the engineer just ring 1901 and request one

SHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Synkronite
    Howd you get them to do a manual test on your line? Id like to get one done on my line also, as I *know* I was passed two months ago (twice! on two separate occassions).

Also does anyone know if they do live tests when you ring them up or do they just look at the database?
    They look at at a dtabase-think lines are tested in batches. Double check nothing was installed in any socket that may cause a short or similar, and that there was no change in terminal equipment.

Thats the thing, prior to February I just had one phone extension, when Id use the internet, Id disconnect the phone and connect the cable to the computer.. And I *passed* my ADSL test.

Since then I have 2 extensions (including a cordless phone), a third extension for my main PC, and then a fourth one which my dad uses for his laptop, but it's usually just lying under his bed (yeah he's waiting for his wireless card) So when I was told I failed, I assumed it was cos I had so much ****e on my phone lines, so I disconnected everything and rang again to get my line tested, and I failed again.. which is why I assumed it was in the databse.

I know Im in range. I know my estate is new and the copper is good, neighbours are passing their ADSL tests, the same ones who passed when I originally passed in February, it really has me stumped.

I thought ringing 1901 and requesting a tech-call out means the engineer just checks your phone line for faults and doesn't perform a new live dsl test?

How can we get eircom to do new live tests?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Synkronite
    Thats the thing, prior to February I just had one phone extension, when Id use the internet, Id disconnect the phone and connect the cable to the computer.. And I *passed* my ADSL test.

Since then I have 2 extensions (including a cordless phone), a third extension for my main PC, and then a fourth one which my dad uses for his laptop, but it's usually just lying under his bed (yeah he's waiting for his wireless card) So when I was told I failed, I assumed it was cos I had so much ****e on my phone lines, so I disconnected everything and rang again to get my line tested, and I failed again.. which is why I assumed it was in the databse.

I know Im in range. I know my estate is new and the copper is good, neighbours are passing their ADSL tests, the same ones who passed when I originally passed in February, it really has me stumped.

I thought ringing 1901 and requesting a tech-call out means the engineer just checks your phone line for faults and doesn't perform a new live dsl test?

How can we get eircom to do new live tests?

I'm normally not one for leaving in compltete quotes-but it's a pity you didn't say all this in your original post. All I can suggest is ringing up the dsl helpline and explaining the additions to the circuit in your house. Ask how often is the line rechecked. Remove all the extra terminating equipment. I knoew eircoms adsl test is quite conservative, but if you manage to get the radsl package after all of this, maybe you can go back to your setup with the extra connections. If you then have problems with your adsl connection-revert back to the original setup without all the extra connections

My setup is as follows, 2 phones running off the same line, the same line being tested and an internet connection as well, now on the 11th when i passed the pre-qual test all this was plugged in, when i rang back for about the fifth time I had everything plugged out just in case and i still failed

So whats been basically said here is that if the database says you fail its stored and cant get a completely new test done cause the results are already stored, so i could pass if i got a completely new test done, but because the results are stored im buggered right

SHIN

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

With eircom you just have to push push and finally push them into giving you adsl. Their customer service department is a total mess. God knows how their Director of customer operations sleeps at night.

I tried for months to get adsl being told all the way i couldnt. In the end i just started telling as many lies as i could about what somebody else in their (customer ops) department said. Eventually I got somebody to actually set me up.

All the time I was told I couldn't get adsl, guess what, I have it!!.

The problem is I dont really want eircoms, I want the via option, but until i get the fail on my line off the eircom databases VIA wont give me the package as they operate out of eircoms DSL exchanges, what the VIA reps said to me is that i cant get broadband out of any eircom exchanges cause my line failed, even though my exchange has been enabled

HISS BOOO

SHIN

While im on the subject does anyone know where eircoms exchange is in Waterford, I know ESATS are in tycor and Central waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Esat use Eircom's exchanges, though I'm not sure which ones Eircom have upgraded - their site just says 'Waterford'.

Ok if esat is using eircoms exchange and I passed for broadband with them when their first residential product came out, and their using the same exchange as eircom then

WHY DID I FAIL NOW EIRCOM JUST TELL ME THATS ALL I ASK

SHIN

Ok if esat is using eircoms exchange and I passed for broadband with them when their first residential product came out, and their using the same exchange as eircom then

WHY DID I FAIL NOW EIRCOM JUST TELL ME THATS ALL I ASK

SHIN

but you originally passed with eircom too, didn't you?

I did pass on he 11th of march, that quote was just for any eircom peeps that happened by lol

I also and am capable of getting ESAT broadband, which a couple of posts above that one said operated out of eircoms exchanges also hence the quote LOL

SHIN

:D

I think the best way forward is to take chief's advice.. Im going to ring eircom tomorrow and insist they *retest* my line when Im prepared for one. I'll make up some lies about how I was almost offered it, and how my neighbours are being offered it right now.. And if they just do a retest for me (And Id be willing to go as high up in the management chain as possible until they do it) I'll happily order their product as a cap doesn't bother me, I just need a 24/7 connection for work purposes and ease of usage.

You try the same tomorrow Shinzon, and anyone else who is being told they cant get it just like Chief-- did and I'll post my results tomorrow. Best of luck, and thanks everyone who's helped :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Just to say that Esat/Via/Eircom use the same test when checking your line. You could perform a 'control' test with either of the other two operators. Give them a call and see what they say. If they tell you that you've passed, Eircom are lieing. If however they tell you that you've failed, Eircom are telling the truth, and whomever said you've passed originally, is a dirty liar :) (I guess either way Eircom have lied/are lieing :))

Advertisement