Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right this is a rant and rave against eircom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

control test ??????

via uses eircoms line test database aint no use ringing them theyll just say what eircom said it failed.

and as ive said ive already passed esats test, so either esat uses a different test or Eircom are lying simple as that

SHIN

On a different tack can if you ask eircom would they do a live test onsite rather than that crappy online thing, was thinking about an engineer but if they dont have BB testing equipment aint much use doing that, or i just hought what is the crowds name that does the actual BB install rather than the self install couldnt they come out

ok was on the istream chat thingie this morning, yet again had to explain all that happened so far (strange eircom never have any records when you ask them to read a case before continuing), I couldnt get a transcript either, as when I asked the cost of getting an engineer out, that damned "converstaion has been terminated due to network difficulties" thing came up

Anyhoo he did give me a slight hope, he said that eircom can do live onsite tests for broadband as well as checking foe faults on the line so long as the engineer has the appropriate equipment, which he called terminating frequency equipment.

probably just the eqiuipment he has with him anyways.

On a better note that that, dermot ahernes office droppped me an e-mail saying theyll take my case under review

Later all shin

Well did you get onto Eircom today and what happened as regards your complaints

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

My rant against Eircon is that they so nicely charge everyone the same price for their service. But not everyone receives the same service from them. I have soo many examples they wont fit in here. Ohhhh your copper wire just failed our test, ohhhh you must have a new copper wire we can give you ADSL / RADSL at an HUGE! price you will love it! BAH! :mad:

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Regarding the database pass/fail thing, getting a new line installed in my new flat next thursday (no previous line in there) ..

1) Can I ask the engineer to make sure the line he installes is adsl compatable?

2) How long will it be before this line will be on the eircom database as "pass" or "failed" for adsl? (is it reasonable to ask the engineer onsite to do this mystical test there and then and report back..[is this done automaticaly on new line installs? ] ? )

Anyone any ideas?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

1) You can ask the technician, but whether he knows what your talking about and whether you get it are 2 separate things

2) you can ring the BB helpline as soon as the lines in and get em to test

SHIN

PS if i did get a new line in here would the new number pass or fail the test with new copper wiring and all

SHIN

Ok both comreg and dermot aherne TD have gotten in contact with me today as reagrds the situation with Broadband in waterford, both are looking into the case and will get back to me as soon as Eircom gives them anything to shout about

SHIN

see things get done if you just ask for them to be done

:D

nice of mr aherne to send out a letter to me

Ok guys update to the update to the update time, get a phone call from eircom just s few mins ago, they being very helpful this time saying nps well get you the service.

Then 2 minutes later COMREG calls, saying have eircom been in touch with you ETC ETC, if they come back saying one thing then telling you another then get back to us were not allowing eircom to do this to anyone anymore etc etc

So waiting for eircom to call me back, betcha ill get it this time

Oh id say broadband is just around the corner for me

So take note if they say you cant get BB then complain

Only way you will get it

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Sounds like you'll get the gold plated DSL cable with your kit!

Good on ya!

if they had of said no in the beginning that would have been alright but they didnt and in a situation like that i dont take no for an answer

shin

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You go gurl!!

We need more people to take this sort of stubborn never-say-die mas-as-hell-and-I-aint-gonna-take-it-any-more attitude with the whole situation.

If Eircom are dragging their heels, lets get onto ComReg. If they dont help, lets not elect Mr Aherne (who, in actual fact SEEMS to be interested in getting us somewhere!).

Noones going to give us what we need until we make it IN THEIR INTERESTS TO DO SO.

I feel so *so* sorry for you guys still trying to get out of the 1980's... :(

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Hey Shin,

Congratulations on eircom finally promising to deliver. I rang and did the same, eircom have promised a re-test and will be ringing me back tomorrow with more details (I think their DSL staff wasnt working this evening) Nonetheless, as I originally passed the test, I hope to have DSL in the near future also- or else it's ComReg.... :D

were not there yet, the promised call from eorcom never came so its back to myfriend jackie in COMREG, e-mail sent waiting for eircom to have there tails between legs and grovelling to me tomorrow

Ongoing saga update tomorrow

SHIN

Ok my own TD martin cullen got in contact this morning, says hes making enquires and this is an unacceptable situation on Eircoms part

If this keeps up bertie will be coming for dinner with the chairman of eircom with a spanner in his hand

SHIN

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wonder if any of your (phenomenal) success so far is from people reading this thread ... hmmmm *muse* :)

/me waves at Bertie

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Okay, here's what my situation is.. I never contacted Comreg nor any TDs/Ministers as I always assumed eircom would fix it up for me. I was bounced between department and department for over an hour today by eircom (1800503303 transfers you to 1901 who transfer you to 1800460260 who transfer you to 1800503303...) I finally got annoyed and said I wanted to speak to a supervisor, Helen in Limerick, who was very nice although she didnt seem to know much about DSL, but I told her everything and within 20 minutes Lindsey from 1800512128 rang me, she did a live test there and then and said my line failed again. I told her I passed a few months earlier, she says they have been having glitches in their systems and I was possibly given a wrong answer. As usual, no reason for failing except for the possible reason of being out of range..

One thing I did find out is that lines on enabled exchanges are all rechecked every 4 weeks automatically, and that even if I passed in February I could have failed in March and April. What I suspect now is construction work being done on the road that leads on to my exchange..

As for EsatBT passing me, I think they're using an outdated database as they're simply reselling eircom's rADSL package here. Nonetheless, they said they'll call me mid-May to arrange a testing date, although I dont have my hopes up too high..

Moving to Sweden this summer, will enjoy true broadband there I guess.. Cant be hassled anymore, I have a fast connection at work, college, and no limits at home.. *sigh*

*defeated* :(

Well im in the trenches for the long haul

I dont buy that crap about the eircom glitches from the biddy, as for that live test its just the database again, there fobbing you off synkronite, dont let em defeat you.

Gather yourself and start writing e-mailing complaining, its the only way to go

look at the response ive gotten so far, comreg and 3 ministers have already e-mailed me and phoned me saying there on the case, i truly believe at the end of all this ill get BB

And if I dont at least ill have some resolution as to why i passed and then i failed and what I can do to resolve or fix it so I can get BB

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 27 aoifejane

Originally posted by Synkronite
    One thing I did find out is that lines on enabled exchanges are all rechecked every 4 weeks automatically, and that even if I passed in February I could have failed in March and April. What I suspect now is construction work being done on the road that leads on to my exchange..
    Yip-I heard lines are automatically checked every few weeks-so the line could move from pass to fail and back to pass again. Problem could be external ie the actual line (construction like above maybe), or internal eg hooking up new equipment yourself that causes interference, shorts etc

Originally posted by shinzon
    My setup is as follows, 2 phones running off the same line, the same line being tested and an internet connection as well, now on the 11th when i passed the pre-qual test all this was plugged in, when i rang back for about the fifth time I had everything plugged out just in case and i still failed

So whats been basically said here is that if the database says you fail its stored and cant get a completely new test done cause the results are already stored, so i could pass if i got a completely new test done, but because the results are stored im buggered right

SHIN

Looking at what you are saying here-you got the original result on the 11th-however the test may have been done up to 4 weeks previously. When did you put the two phones + modem on that particular line?

its always been there aoifejane

ok and if the line is checked automatically every 4 weeks then the question remains why pass 1 minute and move to a fail the next and in 4 weeks move to a pass again

thats just silly and makes no sense at all

shin

• Advertisement

its always been there aoifejane

ok and if the line is checked automatically every 4 weeks then the question remains why pass 1 minute and move to a fail the next and in 4 weeks move to a pass again

thats just silly and makes no sense at all

shin
    Actually its not really. Line quality isn't necessarily totally constant.
    It may be a problem on the line (ie eircoms fault) or you could affect it yourself. My Dun connection speed varies ie the speed two modems negotiate. So its possible an automated test may have different values (of what I'm not sure) returned..You may be above some arbitrary value at a particular point in time-and below it another.

Then the online database is completely false, line testing is compltely arbitrary then, so someone gets i-stream starter when there line passes then eircom goes and does this test every four weeks and that particular persons line fails, eircom are just gonna ring him up and say well im sorry but weve given you your DSL by mistake and now you cant have it becuase your line has come back as a fail so we got to take it off you

Dont think so

SHIN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Then the online database is completely false, line testing is compltely arbitrary then, so someone gets i-streams starter when there line passes the eircom gpes and does this test every four weeks and that particular persons line fails, eircom are just gonna ring him up and say well im sorry but weve given you your DSL by mistake and now you cant have it becuase your line has come back as a fail so we got to take it off you

Dont think so

SHIN

Look at this logically-any test will have to have some pass/fail cutover. Once you get out of the lab, and into the real world, things aren't always clearcut. What do you suggest-eircom doesn't do any test at all-and finds maybe 40% of people who get the equip installed can't sysc with the remote dslam. Do a google on dsl
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=dsl+online+test+synch or similar

All that isnt telling me what i dont already know, so basically whats happening is arbitrary or not within every 8 weeks you can pass within the first month and then fail the next month for no other reason than eircom do a test and you could be over or under the cut off point

What about people who already have BB what happens when they pass into the fail zone eircoms just gonna cut em off

Dont think so, im in the real world
    SHIN

All that isnt telling me what i dont already know, so basically whats happening is arbitrary or not within every 8 weeks you can pass within the first month and then fail the next month for no other reason than eircom do a test and you could be over or under the cut off point

What about people who already have BB what happens when they pass into the fail zone eircoms just gonna cut em off

Dont think so, im in the real world
    SHIN

You are missing the point somewhat-Eircom/Esat whoever will have to a make a decision on whether you get adsl on the current technical information they have to hand regarding your line. If you have adsl , i doubt the telco will ring you up afterwards and say you can no longer have it. You have a\ greater chance of finding your line stops synching etc. however.

On what basis should a telco decide whether your line is capable of adsl,in your view?

im my personal opinion all that you need to have ADSL is, a DSL exchange, be within 5 kls of that exchange and a phoneline as every other country in the civilised world has

I work in a very broadband orientated enviroment, so i know a lot of stuff about it, the only thing that stops a person getting broadband is if there not in a broadband enabled area

the 3 prequal tests i talked about above is all you need to have broadband with the comapny i work for, the normal punter that is

Eircom have so many people tied up in knots at the moment that nobody knows whats going on

all you need is the 3 above, I have those, none of this cutoff crap point, none of this automatic pass one minute fail the next all that is bull**** im afraid and until people realise that eircom are laughing at the so called informed masses

SHIN

im my personal opinion all that you need to have ADSL is, a DSL exchange, be within 5 kls of that exchange and a phoneline as every other country in the civilised world has

SHIN

Sorry Shin, but any adsl supplier I know of (abroad) will do a line test the three conditions above notwithstanding-and not all lines pass the test.

look down at the second paragraph please of my last post and im afraid your wrong in what you said

shin

look down at the second paragraph please of my last post and im afraid your wrong in what you said

shin
    No I'm not :)

• Advertisement

Yes you are m8 sorry bout that but there ye go, anyway not getting into a pointless argument with anyone

Onwards and upwards

SHIN

Advertisement