Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

email on a cv

• 15-04-2003 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

hi i did a quick search if this subject has already come up but no sign. Just wondering what a good email address would be to put on the CV. I mean what domains look better (i don't want to use hotmail)?

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations on what they use.

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Just use your ISP email.. @eircom.net @iol.ie @oceanfree.net are all respectable enough to go on a CV :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I'm not an employer (or employee :mad:), but there was an interesting article on the register today about this.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/30253.html

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

thanks. my ISP is eircom but i couldn't get a decent portion of my name into the address but you reminded of oceanfree. I had forgotten about them (wondered were they gone). I also i had an email with them - with my full name!

thanks for the link aswell - interesting reading........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As long as you're not bunny_fscker@fúckthesystem.com you should be grand. Any ISP mail address or failing that reasoable free webmail one will do grand so long as it bears some resemblance to your name.

And don't under any circumstances use your work e-mail address. Afair it's mentioned in the Reg article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

why dont you want to use hotmail?? as long as you dont have a stupit email address it doesnt matters the host [unless the hosts name is werid]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

To be quite honest I'd avoid using Hotmail.

For example, I don't like Hotmail, infact I actively dislike them. If your CV were to say first_second@hotmail.com I might subconsciously prefer someone equally qualified because of it.

A strange example I know but I'd avoid using hotmail particularly for that reason. (especially if the job is in any way technical)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    To be quite honest I'd avoid using Hotmail.

For example, I don't like Hotmail, infact I actively dislike them. If your CV were to say first_second@hotmail.com I might subconsciously prefer someone equally qualified because of it.

A strange example I know but I'd avoid using hotmail particularly for that reason. (especially if the job is in any way technical)

In fact the article seems to suggest the opposite. Why do you have such a dislike for hotmail? What if someone had a number of email accounts listed, some free like hotmail and some pop3 based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Pay the money and get a <firstname><surname>@ireland.com address.
    It look far better than hotmail or eircom or whatever and you are almost gauranteed to get the one you want or very close to it.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    In fact the article seems to suggest the opposite. Why do you have such a dislike for hotmail? What if someone had a number of email accounts listed, some free like hotmail and some pop3 based?

Personally, if I was looking for someone for an I.T. job, I'd avoid those with hotmail addresses too. IMO, hotmail addresses are more like fun addresses. When a website asks you for an address so they can send you a link, I give them my hotmail. If a program requires me to register, I give it my hotmail. I log in once a week, and click "delete all". For any other correspondence (friends, family, trusted websites, employers, online stores) I'd give my work or college address.
    It would just seem to me, that someone who used a hotmail address as their contact address doesn't take it seriously enough, or won't check their email enough.

Dunno, must be some sort of elitist undertone I picked up somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You'll find most people involved in IT have multiple email address, some web based like hotmail and some pop3 based. Mainly as backup if one email account is having problems they can fall back on the other. Any free account is going to look like you don't use it much, be it ISP provided or through a free web service. Only a name linked to a registered domain is going to have crediblity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement