Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ISDN being upgraded to 128k?

Options
  • 15-04-2003 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

This is my first time on this particular board so this may have been brought up before, i don't know. Anyway i recieved a letter from eircom today saying they were upgrading their network or some **** and that ppl using ISDN would "now be able to connect to the internet at speeds of up to 128kbps"

Now there's a lot of waffle in this letter about "freeserve acount holders" and having to change yur dial-up number and so forth and basically i was wondering is their anyone else who has eircom ISDN and who also recieved this letter and is this good news or should i be getting my hopes up at all? It says that this upgrading thing started in febuary so i don't maybe ppl recieved this letter awhile ago or whatever. One thing i did see on the website page they said to go to ( www.eircom.net/1892 ) was that the current dial up number i was using will eventually be terminated so i mightened hav a choice about switching to this thing. I'd apreciate any help on this matter. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

basically it means if u use eircon for dial-up they have a new number but if you use something else to dial-up you imply burn the letter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Taking it up the ass No. 1
    Eircom are switching you to 1892 for blah blah blah reasons. Actually Eircom are switching you to 1892 so that they can increase the call charge by 11%. This is how it works. Your previous ISP access number was classed as a local call and thereby elegible for their wonderful “Options” discount schemes. So you got 10% discount on your Internet access calls. 1892 is excluded from that discount scheme. So you are paying 11% more.

Taking it up the ass No. 2
    Yes you can have 128K access. And it makes a second call and occupies both ISDN channels. SO you cannot receive incoming calls (unless you get involved in call bumping) and you get charged double.

Amazing that they dont come up with a slogan "Twice as Free as before"

Burn that letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

So I rang to ask a few questions.
    I rang the number on the letter and asked can I connect at 128k for the cost of one call.
    I was told nope.
    You have to have an account with Eircom.net 25 Euros..(not sure is thats a month..probably) and then they would enable you to connect at 128k but would cost 2 calls.
    I could do that with Oceanfree with no Sub charge 2 years ago!
    Then I asked why DSL is cheaper...Quicker..etc...and will ISDN users be able to connect at 128k for a flat rate.
    So I was sent to another number..asked same question..was sent then to another number where I eventually hung up...
    Ask questions they dont like or know answer andyou get put through to be put on hold forever.
    Nem/DemonBaby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

thing i'm worried about is that on the site it said the number i was currently using as the dial-up will eventually b terminated so maybe this is even worse than just not being good news - it's actually very bad news isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Horsefumbler
    thing i'm worried about is that on the site it said the number i was currently using as the dial-up will eventually b terminated so maybe this is even worse than just not being good news - it's actually very bad news isn't it?

Why is it bad news? They're just changing access numbers, as have many ISP's the past year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Nemesis
    So I rang to ask a few questions.
    I rang the number on the letter and asked can I connect at 128k for the cost of one call.
    I was told nope.
    You have to have an account with Eircom.net 25 Euros..(not sure is thats a month..probably) and then they would enable you to connect at 128k but would cost 2 calls.
    You can get 128k with the 1892 number but it will cost you the price of two calls. The old numbers were limited to 64k, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

The old numbers were limited to 64k, I believe.

then WHY have €ircom spent the last uhh....3(?) years advertising ISDN as 128k if you could only get 64k with them? does that mean that they were actually encouraging you to use another isp?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by andrew163

then WHY have €ircom spent the last uhh....3(?) years advertising ISDN as 128k if you could only get 64k with them? does that mean that they were actually encouraging you to use another isp?

You could always get 128k with their subscription accounts, it was just the free ones that were limited to 64k.

Advertisement