Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking trouble - 2 PCs

Options
  • 15-04-2003 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    i'm having some serious troubles with my little home network,
    its a less-than-idea setup but it had been working until today, and now i'm getting 40% packet loss over 1 hop, and NO sustainable connections.

PC1 is running Win XP Pro, its IP is 192.168.0.1, name igy450, subnet 255.255.255.0

PC2 is Win98SE, IP 192.168.0.1 name STEPHEN, using 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway.

PC1 is connected to the HUB (100Mbps) via a crossover cable into the uplink port (it works / worked fine that way and i haven't another cable so whatever)

PC2 is connected to the hub via bout 1M of standard cat5.

Everything was fine until today, I logged onto my own machine (PC2),conencted to PC1 via XP's remote desktop connection thingy, edited a few files, came down to PC1, logged on locally and connected my internet connection (IOL nolimits).
    Went back up, and it CRAWLED along, couldnt get any website to load properly, (despite being connected at 42k at PC1).

Now i cant access any shares on either machine fomr the other, though the link is connected, i can browse, barely, but it times out when i try to copy anything,
    the results from a ping (460 packets) from PC1 to PC2 were:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:
    Packets: Sent = 460, Received = 340, Lost = 120 (26% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

I was getting losses of up to 60% earlier.

Anyways, I dont want to totalyl reconfigure everything right now,
    anybody got any ideas what this could be?

I'd like to replace the crossover cable with a normal one for a start, but i dont have one handy, i'm not sure that makes a difference anyways...

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:
    Packets: Sent = 460, Received = 340, Lost = 120 (26% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

I haven't read all of your post.

From that... it looks like a) IRQ/IO conflict on one of your NICs b) Just a duff NIC c) a dodgy driver d) a dodgy hub/switch e) duff cabeling in alphabetic order of probability.

that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Thanks, I'll look into it, particularly (a),
    as I reenabled my parallel port (which is usually disabled) for an MMC reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had a (relatively) similar problem on Saturday.

Two PC's, linked over a cross over cable via the network cards. Worked fine until I connected to the internet.

The PC that connected to the internet had it's network card's IP address changed and it appeared to be assigned by my ISP. In other words, the TCP/IP properties were set to automatically obtain IP address, which they did once I connected to the Internet. I couldn't use the two network'd PC's when I was on the net, but I could when I was off the net.

When connected to the net, check the IP addresses of both the Dial Up adapter and the Ethernet adapter. If they have roughly the same numbers, with the same default gateway, this may be your problem.

When you are not connected to the net, the Dial Up adapter should have no IP address and of course the Network card should have the IP address you assigned it.

Not sure if this is it, but it might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Thanks guys,
    It was the hub...
    Damn For Sale board..... Next time i buy a new hub, i buy a NEW hub

Advertisement