Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious study and motivation problem

Options
  • 15-04-2003 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

It's bad. I can't study. I can't even start studying. And I mean doing any study. I want to do good in the exams (400+) and I'm lucky cause I do pretty well in school and could probably get 300 the rate I'm going at (I take things pretty well and I don't have much trouble cramming a few nights before).

But I can't study. I mean for the mock Applied Maths test I didn't study at all. But I always planned to, just kept putting it off till there I was in the exam hall trying to work out the projectiles formulae on the spot. I passed. I'm lucky. Hell I studied for my orals on the day of the test. And not much for Irish even then.

So bacically can I do it? Can i get down and study hard. I'm doing 8 subjects but have decided that only 5 are gonna get any major study. But I just lack motivation. Any advice on how to bring myself to get down to the grindstone. I know this sounds silly but I've always had this problem and now's the first time I can't get by without sorting it out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

No Life

theres your problem.

also - take the pc, tv, stereo, guitar and all other distractions out of your room. just FUCKING do it, i know it sucks but it'll be so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Format you harddrive and give it to me and you wont get it back.
    Get rid of the TV in your room and stereo and alll the books and give them to be and I'll give em all back to you after the exams :)

Otherwise if you havn't coped on by now nothing else will work

Also jesus christ, make a study plan.

Start off slow with 2 hrs a night for the first week, then work it up to 3 the next week, then 4, then 5 etc.
    Its almost impossibly to just start doing 6 hrs a night without having just having the **** scared out of you.

Try and have something you have to do, and make a plan that you know if you put this off it'll never get done before the leaving.

And if you still can't study, think about what'll happen if you dont get into your course, that normally scares the **** out of me. You dont want to go to the institute twice in a row do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

join the club, i can not do ANYTHING
    its very frustrating coz im not stupid, i could do really well if i just put the work in, and now it doesn't even look like i could get the stuff covered, even if i started studying now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

I got the same thing at the moment, but it's an even bigger problem cos my college exams start in 11 days and I have to do so much **** before then. I've spent most of this week sitting out in the sun while others are beat up in the library and making me feel guilty!

I did 8 subjects too for the LC, only studied for 4, wound up with 570 (somehow). It can be done. You want maths in TCD, right? It's bout 400. You'll get that standing on your head. Then the real work starts next year. Just think of 400 as being 5 C1's and a D2. That's realistic. Don't worry, don't panic and most of all just try to do what you can. And yes, another year in the institute sounds a LOT worse than studying applied maths for a while now.

Seraphina: Better to go in knowing even a little bit than to go in nothing at all (although I'm gonna be like that for my CS exam:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

it happens to everyone, theres no need to worry, like said u just have to cop up the will power to keep your head down, i wouldnt recommend compulsive 3 hr study a night or what not, only do as much as you can and then take a break, then start again, your concentrations levels will build up the more you practise, theres only what, 7 weeks now before panic stations, just take it easy and build it up. and if you find days that you cant look at the books then dont worry, you really have to have the mentality to study, wait till u goto coll/uni and your exams get dumped upon you on any date, thats when teh skills you learn in the l.c really do help..

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

my best advice is dont study at home.

try studyin with a mate who is really serious about it, and this might possibly motivate you.

45 days [or so] my friends :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

can i just say i have the same problem- i cant study at all and i end up at about 11pm the night before the exam opening the book for the first time. I do well at school- but i cant study for any exam before hand! help!! i always say " ok im going to start tomorrow" then tomorrow comes around and i say the same thing again!
    why am i like this and i do consider myself bright but not bright enough to study!!!
    i do alot of sport and i am always just blamin that, but then i sit in the tv room and watch tv. i love tv! i cant miss anything!
    what am i like? i am an ejjet and i no at the end of it i will be saying "why didnt you start when u said u wud"
    but i actually cant study!! i need pressure. i no i dont have the exam tomorrow so i feel i dont need to study.
    am i only person who does this........please help me! seriously!!
    :)
    ps-im sorry if im i am blabbering on......sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

I remember for my leaving cert I ended up going upto the dark, dusty attic with all my books and a small table and chair. It was quite up there and with no distractions, I got a lot done.

It also helped that I had at that time not discovered the internet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Wow... Sven stop stealing my thoughts. I need them.

Well I got about 355 in the mocks and I need at least 510 for my current first choice... eep...

Nope I can't study at all. I'm doing Easter Revision at the Institute at the moment. The courses are excellent but I don't know if I have the willpower to commit everything from them to my memory. I just sit at home doing nothing. Or sulking about being so bad at studying. Urgh. I may try supervised study at the school... it might just work... but really I need to motivate myself. I'm one of those people who did all his JC revision the night before, got 10 honours grades and by ignoring reality still believes he can do the same for the Leaving.

:confused:

}:>

what are we like.............? lol

atleast i no there are people out there the same as me.
    There is supervised study in my school but i no if i do it i really wont do anything- i can see myself just sitting there looking at other people studyin sayin to myself why cant i be like that!!!

ahhhhhh......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

AHHAHAHAHHAH

Why amn't studying, Im such an idiot.

I hate this computer so much!

The internet, the cause of and soultion to all of my problems.

I got 500 in the mocks and I need 530.... WHy amn't I studying!

omg- u only got 500 points? lol

damn u!!!!!

only another 30 points more u need and probably if u do study which i say u hav already done hense the 500 points u will get it and fair play to you.
    so what course u wanna do wit those high points?

Well to be honest most of my work is from homework and I do study after school so that means I never study at the weekends so now I cant remember how to study at home :(
    Im so used to doing nothing at home.

I decided not to sudy today....bit of a hangover :)

Im hoping to the Law in UCD,

Btw Sev got like 560+ the bastard :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Just do it (tm).

Off topicness:
    Hang on... if Sangre knows Sev and I know Sev... does this mean that I know Sangre?

*waves cautiously*

You wish :)

NAh, he just posted it on boards.

What school are you all in anyway?

A/S/L :)

i wud love to get 500+
    -i no i cud get it if i actually put some serious studyin in and cut out all the tv, computer and stuff but i cant!! i also do sports and that definatley wud b hard to give up!!!

Im from cork and am a 17/f
    And ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Well you have to look at it this way, no one can make you, you have to do it yourself.
    And its only 5 or so weeks away, so thats only 5 weeks of work you have to put in.
    Set clearly what you want to do, chapters like, and do it like that rather than spend a setamount of time at it, well it works for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

me also in the cant study club.

been trying over the mid-term but im totally in a crisis of what i want to do and i have to go over my CAO again :(

thats one of the reasons i cant motivate myself i think because while i want to go to college io havent a clue what i want to do. i was thinking of taking a year off but i have been strongly advised against it....

[edit]im not actually "goin to business school", the cultured of you who spot the qoute can congratulate themselves on reading/seeing a great comic/movie! [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Do it my way, pay attention in school, study becomes unneccessary :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Look, first things first.

Its never too late to start studying.

I think people ae sometimes overawed when they start and its not that they can't motivate, its that when they sit down they see and enormous task and they get intimidated.

Random advice:

Start off slow and small with the stuff you are interested in, this will help you build confidence to tackle harder stuff.

Set up a schedule and try stick to it as best you can. No study session should ever go over 45 minutes without a break. Reward youself if you meet the deadlines.schedules you set yourself.

Its not an old wives tale about brain food. Sugar and caffeine products will stimule brain activite and aid study/concentration.
    The key thing is to sip a coke/coffee/redbull not knock it back.

Study sessions are good if you get responsible people. Take turns explaining things to each other and even debating (remember to try stick to a schedule for this too, you don't want to spend too much time doing stuff).

When you explain thing sto people, you get a good idea how well you understand something and you also build your confidence.

Above all else, take a deep breath, and Don't panic. Once you get into it, it'll look totally different.

Good luck!

17/m/dublin.

cam/pic?

:D

But really now... I've got 6 weeks to do this. or thereabouts. I'm still panicking but the grinds have really helped me. Hopefully the points'll go down too but I think Arts courses are expected to go up aren't they?

Appearantely...

Teachnical coarses like engineering and IT etc are going down but Arts/Law/Medicine will probably go up.

Advertisement