Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Americans To Form Provisional Irish Government

Options
  • 16-04-2003 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Newsflash,

Following the sensational US military victory in instigating regime change in the former dictorship of Ireland (under heinous Bertie Aherne) US authorities held the first meeting of exiled Irish leaders (some of whom have actually been to Ireland) with the intention of forming a provisional government under their charge.

Frank Giovanni from the Bronx New York was appointed chairman of the meeting. Mr. Giovanni claims several Irish ancestors in his history and is favoured by the US state department to become provisional all Ireland administrator, despite never having set foot on the old sod prior to today's meeting.

The Pentagon's favourite for leading the Irish, John Smith from Barnsley in the UK made several important contributions to the meeting suggesting that he be appointed chief administrator, while also stressing the importance of having Ireland ruled for and by Irish people.

HOW WOULD WE LIKE IT?? 10 DEAD IN NASARIYA - TROUBLES ARE ONLY STARTING NOW.............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

If Bertie was a brutal, unelected dictator who had gassed, tortured and murdered hundreds of thousands of Irish civilians while defying the UN, this would be an apt analogy. He isn't, so it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

It might not be an "apt analogy" but it does make a good point. Regardless of who had been in power, I would not want a foreign government controlling Ireland. Iraq is just going to become another occupied country with a puppet government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

of course it is. All this talk about supposed election and a future independent Iraqi government are rubbish. Best to believe Michael Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You really should take everything Micheal Moore says with a gain of salt, [or something? What is that expression?], i.e don't believe it.

The amount of crap he blatently made up in Bowling for Columbine isn't actually funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by vorbis
    of course it is. All this talk about supposed election and a future independent Iraqi government are rubbish. Best to believe Michael Moore.
    After one listens to Michael Moore talking about Norn Iron (he displays a juvenile level of knowledge on the subject), then it's wise not to listen to him when he talks about Iraq, or anything else for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dónall

Sorry if this turns into a bit of a Michael Moore thread but, I saw Bowling for Columbine yesterday, thought it was really excellent. Popped into his web site here which is very interesting, more an activist site than a filmaker's site really....... So, what exactly do you say he made up then? I mean fabrication now, and not the odd bit of melodramatic simplification as in the 60 second "review" of American foreign policy since forever...
    And, I can sort of imagine - this is a bit more on thread - but what exactly did he say about Northern Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Dónaill
    Sorry if this turns into a bit of a Michael Moore thread but, I saw Bowling for Columbine yesterday, thought it was really excellent. Popped into his web site here which is very interesting, more an activist site than a filmaker's site really....... So, what exactly do you say he made up then? I mean fabrication now, and not the odd bit of melodramatic simplification as in the 60 second "review" of American foreign policy since forever...
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=6841
    Bowling fails the first requirement of a documentary: some foundation in the truth. In his earlier works, Moore shifted dates and sequences for the sake of drama, but at least the events depicted did occur. Most of the time. Bowling breaks that last link with factual reality. It makes its points by deceiving and by misleading the viewer. Statements are made which are false. Moore invites the reader to draw inferences which he must have known were wrong. Dates are transposed and video carefully edited to create whatever effect is desired. Indeed, even speeches shown on screen are heavily edited, so that sentences are assembled in the speaker's voice, but which he never uttered.

These occur with such frequency and seriousness as to rule out unintentional error. Any polite description would be inadequate, so let me be blunt. Bowling uses deliberate deception as its primary tool of persuasion and effect.

The point is not that Bowling is unfair, or that its conclusions are incorrect. No, the point is that Bowling is deliberately, seriously, and consistently deceptive. A viewer cannot count upon any aspect of it, even when the viewer believes he is seeing video of an event occurring or a person speaking.
    Fairly damning article, if it does give an accurate reflection of the film (which I haven't seen myself).

Well even if not all these rebuttals are true it appears Moore let drama and easy emotionalism take precedence over rigourous documentary film-making, this is a terrible pity really as the subject of violent crime in the world's only superpower is a desperately serious one.
    I suppose a harder and more complicated documentary wouldn't have got general release, and certainly wouldn't have won an oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

re: northern ireland. his view basically was that the solution would be solved if all the catholics started breeding, eventually putting the protestants into a minority, whereby the catholics could hold a referendum and then join the republic. incredibly simplistic, and very very short-sighted (and example of one problem would be: would the 'protestants' just sit back and accept joining the republic? ... probably not).

Just judging by the sort of character he is from Bowling For Columbine was probably joking when he said that. However, I've heard Irish people say it in all earnestness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Oh my goodness, did somebody quote from FrontPage Magazine? That publication is so right wing it makes Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz look like a bunch of drug smoking hippies. Here's an example of some of their trash.

Advertisement