Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone Line - Old Question?

• 16-04-2003 12:16pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've had a look through the forums and didn't see anything very current. Was wondering has anyone had digital installed recently, and have they removed the telephone connection as soon as the installer steps outside? Should i keep it in for the first year, if i pull it out will I get an angry scotsman on the phone at me!

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i pulled mine out after the installer left
    just plub it back in if you want to order a box office movie or interactive stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

But dmeehan, you have Sky longer than last summer, when keeping the phone line in or not was not an issue.

Now it is mandatory, what legbreaker is asking really is has anyone who got Sky since last summer plugged out the line, and have they heard word back in relation to this.

Hopefully some relative Sky Digital n00b can ell us their experiences. :ninja:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Nail on the head. I'll leave it in for a while anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

As far as I know the installer is meant to install the extension. If he does not do this neatly then you should not sign the form saying you are happy with the job.

Once the phone line is in why are people so worried about it?

That part is easy, he offered to do it for me. I just wondered do i need to keep it or not, i know the contract advises I must...

• Advertisement

keeping the phone lie in was mandatory when i signed up first, Nov 2001 and as i said earlier, i disconnected the phone line after the installer left and reconnected it only when ordering box office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

As regards the phone line. There is not always an easy route from the phone socket to where the digibox is situated. I assume if the installer fancied an easy route where cable would be noticeable that you could insist he does it more discreetly. I assume that would not be accompanied by increased installation fee??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by dmeehan
    keeping the phone lie in was mandatory when i signed up first, Nov 2001 and as i said earlier, i disconnected the phone line after the installer left and reconnected it only when ordering box office

But up until last summer, the enforcement of that clause was lax. Even some installers were turning a blind eye to that. Now, as the interactive stuff is primed at Irish subscribers, so its a must.

Like, mine was never connected to the phone line, ever.

has anyone heard of sky fining someone for not connecting tthe phone line

if sky had fined me and i was still under contract i would have switched down to the €19 package anc cancelled at the end of the contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

In answer to the original question, I had SKY installed about three weeks ago. . . when the installer left, I removed the connection and have had it disconnected since then. Also, since then, I have had several phone calls with SKY in order to sort out my package and get Sports and Movies turned on and no-one has said anything to me !!

• Advertisement

Good man! I just left out an extension cord and said i'd make a permanent connection later. I was beginning to wonder was I going to be tripping over a wire for the next 12 months. That and the cold arse job from the fiance. :D

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Contractually you are obliged to connect for 12 months. What has changed recently is that sky will charge the retailer €68 if the digibox fails a callback test in the first 30 days. This is intended to stop temporary connections just to authorise the card. I imagine the retalier will want to recoup this money from the customer and sky may also want to recoup the cost of the free digibox offer since there would be a breach of contract.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

so in theory you could still leave it connected for 30 days (31 to be sure to be sure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

In theory you could disconnect any time you want but there is no longer any guarantee that no consequences would ensue.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Maybe i'll be nice and leave it plugged in overnight once a week? What with me and my off peak internet access my phone line could be engaged for long periods of time...

i'd assume they would give you a warning of some sort before slapping out a fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Installed last August. Disconnected from the phone line after a few minutes. No calls from Sky ever, even though I've changed the package.

Advertisement