Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portsmouth getting promoted

• 16-04-2003 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

What do you think Portsmouth will be bring to the premier league next season?
    Are they just another first division side destined to go back down or can they survive in the top flight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In other news, there is a new virus going around England, the WBA virus...

Doctors fear it could be Nationwide by 5pm Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

rofl@that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Bateman, you really should have put that one in the bad jokes section. That was terrible. I hope you have a licence to tell bad jokes.(a friend of mine actually made himself one)

Portsmouth will go straight back down, sorry to say.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

pompey have a good chance of stayin up next year. they were a good team in a bad division this year. fester and whoever else will go down next year....the first divison this year is a very very poor leaugue.....speakin as a derby county fan. its hard to know who will fill the third relegation place but i think pompey can avoid it

Yeah but the reason for the Nationwide 1st being so poor this year has a lot to do with the effects of the ITV Digitial deal collapsing. Wolves-Forest was as good as some Premiership games I've seen this season (Brum-Liverpool springs to mind), from what I saw of it in the bar in Dalymount last Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Pompey will go down in there first Season,they'll start the season with four wins in a row or something like that but then the hard games will start coming thick and fast and they'll be dragged towards relagation.Its tough for all new teams entering the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think they will comfortably stay up. Harry Redknapp knows what it take s to stay in the premiership and he will snap up some of the Bosmans who will be free during the summer, of which there are plenty. He got a bottom six 1st division side up in his first division with some shrewd signings and I think he will definitely keep them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

there are exceptions tho....when sunderland derby and fester went up a few seasons ago all 3 stayed up and if two teams giv pompey a cushion to fall on i think they could be ok

Ah I dunno, look at Brum, and think about the dire predictions people were making about them, they look to be getting out of it. Time could be up for Bolton next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

The thing that seems to happen is that even if they do stay up, none of them seem to have the staying power of a few seasons. There's always going to be exceptions, but seems to be a general rule. I'm sure this could be evident for many, many reasons. Way too long to get into them now, but you get my point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rednapps no fool, he'll not be spending money they dont really have on the chance they'll avoid the drop, I think they have as much chance as Brum but then WBA could have made more of thier time in the top flight. The board seemed to assume they were for the drop the moment they went up.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I dunno I think Portsmouth have a chance thye have a lot of players that could get into the crapper Premiership teams, Todorov, Stone, Sherwood. Foxe, Hislop, Festa and maybe Quashie.

They're not world beaters but they are either experienced ex-premiershipers or were once considered good enough to give it a bash.

I think they're at least as good as Ipswich were when they last came up, I fancy one of the promoted sides to stay up and I reckon Pompey will be the one.

Thats if the Forest don't get through the playoffs but thats talking with heart rather than head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I fancy Wolves might actually do it the hard way this season, they're scoring for fun since Christmas and if they win tomorrow at Norwich they should be safe for the play-offs...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I dont think Portsmouth or Leicester will do very well next year. Neither team have a squad capable of surviving in the premiership.

Advertisement