Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perl Assignment

Options
  • 16-04-2003 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Hey, im in the middle of doing a perl assignment at college on cpu scheduling and memory management. I'm getting on alright at it but a few things are holding me back.

Anyways my problem is that the labs at college are closing this evening and i have to hand it up for friday evening which gives me 2 more days to work on it but i can't work on it because the server at college will be turned off, i'm wondering is there anyway i can work on it at home? We use Secure Shell Client to log onto the server and i have that but its no good without a server, and as you would of guessed i don't have unix/linux on a machine here, so any quick answers? apart from No like...hehe

I might post what code i have done later if any of ye want a look at it.

Cheers anywayz Farlz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Depending on what your program does (if it's platform specific or not), you could download ActiveState's Active Perl for windows and finish your program that way.

If as you say, the unix server you are using is being shut down just before a deadline, perhaps you could ask for an extension?

I get the feeling we're missing some vital piece of information about your predicament...

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'm looking at that activestates activeperl now, i'll download it this evening and try it

Its just a very simple program that takes in a few parameters and uses scheduling algorithms to calculate what kind of useage the cpu will get, like round robin, shortest job first ...

I can't think of any info im missing, no chance of an extension either, the lecturer is being a **** about the whole thing, we used to be able to connect to the server from home but he's turned that off as well. I don't HAVE to do this assignment because i've already passed his Continuous Assesment but still would like to get all done and hopefully get a distinction at the end of the year and not just a pass

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

well I dont know if cygwin would be any good to you... as its a big download.

cygwin is a unix emulation layer that runs on top of win32, its pretty cool.

may be you could get some one to burn the install packages for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A Linux Boot CD such as Knoppix [currently version 3.2] (www.knoppix.de) will allow you to boot directly into a fully functional GUI Linux environment with Perl support, etc.

It is a 700 Meg dl tho. But your college connection can probably survive it.

Advertisement