Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Beer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

*checks watch*

Yup, it's Miller time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Houston Griffin

I'm surprised to see Budweiser getting such a favorable rating and the positive comments about Miller. I'm a yank, and I never touch the stuff. I think all the major American beers taste like flavorless (except for the bad after taste) cold water. Sam Adams is OK, but not exceptional. We have some good small-batch microbrews, but nothing that rivals the great European beers. With all the inexpensive micrbrews and price of imported beers going down, I'm seeing less and less Americans drinking Bud, Miller, Micholoeb, or Coors, now that they've developed a taste for something better. Never underestimate the power of marketing, I guess (Bud always did have the best commercials).

Personally, I love Guiness on tap (sometimes I get the bottles or cans, but it's not the same). I drink a lot of Newcastle. If I'm in the mood for dark ales, I'll usually go Irish or English. If I'm in the mood for lagers, I'll go German, Belgian, or Czech. There's an Austrian beer I love called Samichlaus that's has a 15% alcohol content. It's expensive, but it's like three beers in one. I've always felt since the art of brewing was perfected in Europe, that's where you'll find the best beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've heard some horror stories about Guinness in the US. From what I've heard, very few bar staff know how to pull a pint....

But anyway, the best beer is always from small breweries. Forget your Dutch Gold, your Miller and Your Bud, you don't buy them, you just rent them for a while! Small local breweries are amazing. I'm off to Germany in a couple of months, it promises to be fantastic, particularly as imported beer will actually be local and so cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Used to drink Bud, then tried Guinness and will never go back!

The black stuff all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Should have named the thread favourite normal beer.

I voted Dutch Gold... its as close to John Smiths as you'll get here.. i.e. 'No Nonsense'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭QBall

Favourite beer depends on the place, time and food:

Quiet pint: Guinness
    Beer on a sunny day (rich): Erdinger
    Beer on a sunny day (poor): Bavaria :-)
    With Chinese Food: Tsing Tao (fantastic beer)
    In the US (respectable): Sam Adams
    In the US (getting drunk): Steel Reserve*

All in all though, I'm voting for Guinness. :-)

Oh, and while you may feel like trying a Guinness in the US, never, EVER drink Murphy's over there. Trust me on that one.

-Q

* $3 for 6 pint cans, 8.1%, makes you forget stuff, fight and gives horrendous hangovers but is guaranteed to lead to many a funny story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

what about coors and coors light, yum yum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Houston Griffin

I've heard some horror stories about Guinness in the US. From what I've heard, very few bar staff know how to pull a pint....

It's true. That's probably why I appreciate Guinness so much. In the States, you have about a one in ten chance of even finding a bar with Guinness on tap, then less than a 50/50 chance the bartender knows how to pull a pint; often times the barman will continuously let the glass foam over, making you wait forever as he fills a little....waits for the foam to go down...fills a little, ect. Of course, it also depends on where you're at. In any big city, you can find a few good bars with a competent staff, and usually at least one bar that's owned by an Irish expatriot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

most of the beer here on draught is terrible, not as bad as england though (masochists). a murphys in cork is excellent since it is drank there more than guiness so the kegs are fresh. beamish in a busy pub is good too. thats why bass is so digusting, nobody buys it.

budwieser is not beer so shouldnt be on the list, its a bastardisation of beer and sake. the bud you get here cant be sold in germany since it isnt beer, proper order. just like cadburys cant be sold in belgium since it isnt chocolate.

go to germany for real beer. becks is the cheap and nasty stuff there. lowenbrau is the no 1 and beautiful. it was on sale in tescos years back cheaply. you can get it in molloys the odd time. go for the blonde in the light blue can.

over here try bottles of spaten, budvar and the much overlooked classic irish satzenbrau.
    if i got a pint for every ignorant bud drinker who mocked me for drinking satzenbrau i'd be pissed constantly. everybody seems to think it a "birds drink" since the only ad, years ago, had a woman drinking it. as the slagging people what it is and they dont have a clue. most think it is akin to west coast cooler. it is a excellent very tasty pilsner made by guinness, and when the mockers hear its over 5% they soon shut up. i dont know why they dont advertise it more.

"bulmers cider all the rest taste like paint stripper"
    bulmers is nothing like real cider, tastes like cidona and vodka. dont get me wrong, bulmers is almost the only pint i have in a pub but it is still far from good (not saying much for the booze available in pubs!) i hate to admit it but the brits have the best ciders ever. thatchers is amazing. you can get good cider in teh temple bar food market, bone dry the way it should be not sweet crap like bulmers. bone dry=paint stripper to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 evilmouse

Mines a Heineken on tap Mr. Poll-man. You can't beat a bottle of Tiger beer, has won a couple of brewing awards.
    Use to drink budweiser; discovered how it looked and tasted like that amber fluid that hits the toilet seat when you miss !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

In the Tin: FOSTERS....he who thinks Australia!!!

......drinks kangaroo piss.

That stuff is rotten. Organised a few college nights out and the only promo some will give is cheap Fosters. Even at €2-€2.50 a pint, students still avoid it. Absolute pissh.

Some of the micro breweries in London are just amazing. A lot of them have happy hours aswell, so you can sample all 11 brews in 3 hours. Leads to an interesting night.
    Same in the states. Micro breweries are the way forward. I can only drink ale from them. Never the 'ale' we get here on tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

I object to this Poll by the simple fact that there is no Eirdinger (or how ever u spell it)

Also there is no Atari Jaguar WTF?????? there has to be an Atari Jaguar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Didn't expect the poll to be so popular.

In retrospect, I should have had Miller instead of Tennants, ant possibly squeezed in an Atari Jaguar.

In fairness, Bulmers/cider wasn't included, because the poll was for best beer. If you are a cider drinker, the poll wasn't really for you.

Chill out about the Guinness/boring comment. It was lighthearted, I am well aware of the fact that plenty of young people drink it, etc etc. But it wasn't really the point of the thread. I could have posted a different type of poll, eg Stout, Lager, beer, ale, or spirits, but I didnt. Feel free though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

How dare you suggest that Guinness is boring its great unlike faggoty american beers for peoples with no pubic hair :p

I love my Guinness :D

Also I can down a pint of Guinness in 2.3 seconds and 2 in 6.3. Id like to know if anyone thinks they can lick me. Im going for the recored soon as well :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

Well Smithwicks drinkers,ph01 , where I'm from are man's men, pulling cows out of cows and tractors out of ditches.

I think Smithwicks people were always different, it seems to be quite common with the Musician crew and tradesmen(go figure). Never seen anybody 'drunk' on Smithwicks get in a row either.

Gaffo, where in London are these microbrewery's? Very very interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Originally posted by [-UK-]Wolf
    How dare you suggest that Guinness is boring its great unlike faggoty american beers for peoples with no pubic hair :p

I love my Guinness :D

Also I can down a pint of Guinness in 2.3 seconds and 2 in 6.3. Id like to know if anyone thinks they can lick me. Im going for the recored soon as well :ninja:

there was a beast of a sligo man in my class in college who could devour guinness. i remember one hard drinker challenged him to a guinness drinking contest. the beast said hold on as he still had 2 full pints in front of him, he skulled the 2 of them, went straight over to the contest table and skulled another 4 before the other guy had finished his second.
    he was an animal, hands like shovels, with a shock of hair, red as the fires of hell

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I'm guinness born and bread. It was the first drink I drank and liked which is odd because most people say you have to get a taste for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 The_Bullet

I am Guiness man, and its no way boring, better than the other piss.
    Lidl's Bergadler is lovely and cheap too.Its a german pilsener, nice wheaty taste.Take it from me a beer conniseur.
    A beer that I wish I could get in Ireland is Kahn Brau. Its a Mongolian beer I bought from a group of Mongols in Germany.
    Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

All of the following are my fav's: Guinness if I'm in the pub, Tiger the same or with food and Cobra if I'm having an Indian.

Kronenberg 1664 is quite good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 $ynergy

just another dull Carlsberg drinker ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Miller. I think I might just go grab one or ten!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've switched from Ale to Carlsberg just recently, actually started out on Carlsberg just switched to ale cause its cheeper :) ... but gives ya a nasty beer belleh! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

recently changed from Carlesburg to Guiness, like the extra cold if its a good clean line.

Johnstons of Newbridge. the 1 on the corner. Spanking gorgeous pint. better than the hop store's sky bar i recon.

Pity about the smell the next day though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Either Erdinger or Franziskaner depending on which one the pub I'm in has. Excellent beers and far better quality than the píss you get served otherwise.

And funnily enough, I normally only drink in pubs that serve the above beers or similar quality alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭PAPILLION

Erdinger?

thats quite a sweet wheat beer isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Originally posted by Gaffo
    ......drinks kangaroo piss.

That stuff is rotten. Organised a few college nights out and the only promo some will give is cheap Fosters. Even at €2-€2.50 a pint, students still avoid it. Absolute pissh.

What are talking about man?!?! It is indeed rotten on draught but it's top notch in the tin, as I said!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Shred

Warsteiner on draught, out of bottles even cans :)

Having said that, I do drink a lot of Bud also but you just can't go wrong with gemurman beers, except Erdinger:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Carlesburg for me. Probably the worst hangover in the world though! Started with Guiness but can't get back to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I really like the Dublin Brewing Company's red beer, cant remember the name of it. Are they still making it? I haven't seen it in the shops for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I'm a fan of a beer from Namibia called Windhoek, great stuff..

Oh and BTW Tiger (grrr..) is from Singapore

Advertisement