Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Beer

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Either Erdinger or Franziskaner depending on which one the pub I'm in has. Excellent beers and far better quality than the píss you get served otherwise.

They're both decent German Weiss beers. Pretty tasty and well brewed. But there is much better weiss to be got if you look around... Maisels, Paulaner, Weihenstephan are all far superiour.

Course the poll is silly, bar Guinness, Stella and Tiger, all of the drinks there are barely drinkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Favourites are Smithwicks and Erdinger (or any weiss beer).

I'll drink guinness if it's in a pub where it's gauranteed to be good.

If I want to get ****ed up I'll go for a few pints of snakebite - this is the best option if your forced to drink cheap beer or cider, mix them and it still tastes crap but your taste buds give up quicker. Some pubs are a bit dubious about serving it;)

Nicest beer I ever tasted I think was called "SchwigelFritz" - or something like that. It was a local brew in Greifswald, a small town north east germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by p.pete
    Favourites are Smithwicks and Erdinger (or any weiss beer).

I'll drink guinness if it's in a pub where it's gauranteed to be good.

Hmm pete, how come Royal Dutch isn't mentioned in your post? hmm? ;)

I'm not a huge beer fan anymore, though Weiss in Messrs with their Chicken Bap goes down reeeeaaaaallly well (all while watching football).

Oh, and the quality of Guinness in a pub is directly proportional to the amount of old people in the pub and their distance from the particular Guinness tap.

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Hmm pete, how come Royal Dutch isn't mentioned in your post? hmm? ;)

I'm not a huge beer fan anymore, though Weiss in Messrs with their Chicken Bap goes down reeeeaaaaallly well (all while watching football).

Oh, and the quality of Guinness in a pub is directly proportional to the amount of old people in the pub and their distance from the particular Guinness tap.
    Yep, there is definitely a link between old people and good guinness.

Didn't mention Royal Dutch because I can't remember the last time I had a can of the stuff, although I guess I should have mentioned it just for nostalgic reasons. Does it count as nostalgia if you can't remember?:confused: It would definetly be a potential ingredient for snakebite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭QBall

Originally posted by ssh
    They're both decent German Weiss beers. Pretty tasty and well brewed. But there is much better weiss to be got if you look around... Maisels, Paulaner, Weihenstephan are all far superiour.

Let me second that. Paulaner and Weihenstephaner are well tasty, although for some reason Weihenstephaner gives me the most horrendous headache the next day (IIRC it has the same effect on DeadBankClerk). I "discovered" it in New York, where there was actually a pub which had it on tap. (Their Guinness was foul though) We were able to buy it by the litre as well which was a Very Good Thing[tm]. :-)
    Originally posted by ssh
    Course the poll is silly, bar Guinness, Stella and Tiger, all of the drinks there are barely drinkable.

And I would argue that Stella is pretty marginal on the drinkability scale too, but maybe that's just me.

• Advertisement

has anyone ever tried Grafenwalder or Rats Krone? pure piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Nothing but Heineken for me, ummmmm dutch goodness

I never woulda guessed there was so many guinness drinkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

hmm... I also wonder why there is none of the amasing, great and sometimes mad bears they have in the PorterHouse in Dublin. Although I suppose there is only so much room.
    Anyhooooo, German beer for me plz, normally Eirdinger. Esspecially the glasses, they just rock

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Heinoken for meself

And every barman in the world hates those damn erdinger glasses - unwieldy bloody things that topple at the first knock :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

but they are so unbelievably cool!! :D

Also they are designed to help keep the head of the beer longer

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Snowball
    German beer for me plz, normally Eirdinger. Esspecially the glasses, they just rock
    The beer is great but the glasses suck. The only ones that I like are the glasses that you get Weiss beer in when you are in Messers', you get well more than a pint into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For me it's generally guinness. But it all depends. On a hot day there's nothing like a carlsberg.

Also some nice cheap beers are

cheap cans - bavaria, same price as dutch in most places and way nicer

cheap bottles - rolling rock, or some of the offers on like carlsberg export or stella

Also Chiller in the porterhouse is a lovely beer

Originally posted by matrim
    cheap cans - bavaria, same price as dutch in most places and way nicer
    Yeah, I'm surprised Bavaria isn't more popular as far as cheap cans go - compared to Dutch Gold it tastes nicer and has more alcohol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

in the ireland - heineken or guinness but there's nothing like a cold VB or a red stripe goes down well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I likes corona and sol .... mexican stuff is much nicer than bud / miller but alas a pint is not the done thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by matrim
    bavaria, same price as dutch in most places and way nicer

Something about the way the can looks like a bar of cadburys puts me off it...

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Something about the way the can looks like a bar of cadburys puts me off it...
    Chocolate and beer? sounds good to me. That reminds me, bottles of chocolate stout in porter house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

likes corona and sol .... mexican stuff is much nicer than bud / miller but alas a pint is not the done thing.

totally agree .... nothing better than an ice cold bottle of corona [with lemon in neck ... of course] while sitting by the pool on hols!!

love tiger beer with a chinese and in the pub, i'd have to say guinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

it would have to be hummell. sweet and delightfull hummell

Advertisement