Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Player of the year

• 16-04-2003 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

The nominations were out today. So wh would you vote for. I think my vote would have to go to Henry so far. I always think it is a shame they do it a couple of weeks before the end of the season, because lets face it the last twoo weeks are the making and breaking of a season. The young player has got to be Rooney, O Shea or Jenas. I would go for O Shea but I am biased.

Who will be PFA Player of The Season 44 votes

Ruud Van Nistlerooy
    0% 0 votes
    Thiery Henry
    22% 10 votes
    Paul Scholes
    34% 15 votes
    Jamie Beattie
    9% 4 votes
    Alan Shearer
    18% 8 votes
    Gianfranco Zola
    4% 2 votes
    Other ( Please Specify )
    11% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I would love to see Beattie get it 21 goals and he does not get the same service that Henry and Van N get.

He gets my vote with O'Shea as young player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dambuster

beattie should get it and thats coming from an arsenal fan.henry is class but beattie deserves it. rooney has to get young player hes a genius with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Henry is one of the most complete players in the premiership. Thierry, no question about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

j j okocha

For sheer entertainment value!

The guy is a joy to watch!

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

henry .. I'd go for o shea as young player

as most of rooney has been as a sub .. but i'm sure hype would just win it for him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Henry or Beattie but I'd say Henry will pip it.

O'Shea for young player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

O Shea deserves Young PLayer but of Course Rooney Is English so he'll get it which is a disgrace considering he has barely started 10 games in the season.

Ruud for senior player two amazing seasons in a row and it's still all to play for,would bank on him hitting 40 goals for the season currently on 36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Arkan

well rooney is half irish! but it is a good point - o'shea has got to be the impartial favourite! had a great season cappped with gaining a regular place in the Irish team... i think soo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'd go for James Beattie he's almost wholely responsible for the Saint's good season and FA Cup run, now they've qualified for Europe as well. He's had trash service but is still the Premiership's leading scorer. I really think he deserves it.

As has been said I reckon John O'Shea deserves the young player of the year award given the amount of games he's played and his consistency, but Rooney will definately take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

O'Shea definitely deserves to win young player because he has played more than 40 games for United in all competitions and also played for Ireland.

Usually the players have more sense than the writers as a lot of them have played against the nominees so heres hoping for a deserved win. The writers award will definitely go to Rooney.

As for the senior player I think its between Shearer and Beattie. Both have had excellent seasons but voted for Shearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

I apologise if this statement is wrong but here it goes:

The PFA Player Of The Year is based on the Premiership. I believe that Van Nistelrooy should not win it because in my opinion Beattie and even Rb Keane is better at scoring in the premiership.

Van N. job is a goalscorer. With the amount of serive he gets from scholes, beckham etc he does not score enough goals in the PL. He has scored 19, 7 of which have been penalties. Keane has scored 12 none none of which have been penalties.

I hope you see my point. I think Henry should win because as someone said he is the most complete player and a joy to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

I hope Zola gets it, a few reasons would be firstly that he just has had a great season, at his age to be performing the way he is is an achievment in itself and come on its Zola!

And of course O'Shea should win young player of the year he's played nearly 50 games this season. And now that he has a first team place Man Utd have the best defence in the Premiership, he's a legend in the making!Oh I forgot - he's Irish too!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

i'm certain o'shea will get the young player award, and deservedly so,

....rooney has it bagged for the next few seasons though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

id love to see Beattie get it he's a great striker!!! as for young player of the year its got to be oshea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I think Zola should get it. He's 36 and playing out of his skin this season. He is the main reason why Chelsea are in 4th in the Prem at the moment, as their other strikers have done nada.

I hope O'Shea gets Young Player, he has been nothing short of a revelation this season...but I'd say that Phil Mitchell lookalike, Roonaldo will get it. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Henry cant head a ball for love nor money how is ih the complete player? He also cant seemt o stay where he is supposed to ie the BOX not wide on the left.
    He drifts out because thats where he finds the space to turn and run at defenders RVD or Shearer dont do that because they are complete strikers they sit in the box and score.
    Tho none of the above get my vote Paul Scholes should get it he is the complete player ,wins the ball, can pass it, can head it, can shoot and is the top scoring midfielder (i think) simply awesome to watch.

But Player of years are popularity contests, best player never wins only the most popular so i reckon Rooney and Shearer will win the awards.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

i voted scholesy cos when we had a crop of injuries this season he was imense and we had our best run of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by Xterminator
    j j okocha

For sheer entertainment value!

The guy is a joy to watch!

X

Well, another weekend, another contender for goal of the season.
    G'wan J J!
    So good they named him twice ... blah blah!!!

X

Advertisement