Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your ONLINE name

• 07-04-2000 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

Since we were on the topic of names...
    Where did half ye get yer online names?
    I heard the epic story of DeV's name , smile.gif and now I want to hear more. So who has the coolest name and reason?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

There was a conversation like this in #fortress.ie the other day and it wasnt too exciting.I'd say mine is the best nick.Why i picked it? err....dunno smile.gif

twenty-sign.jpg

[This message has been edited by 2040 (edited 08-04-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I don't remember. It's that Tiger from Calvin and Hobbes.

stop.gif

My UT nick (which no one here probably ever sees) is "Tribal Bob" which is the name of the chief of the Manjis in Jumanji.

tribal2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

hmm, dunno.
    But I thought it was funny at the time...

Oh wait, now I remember, heh he heh smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'm huge :P

Lump A.K.A John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Actually Hobbes, originaly I was thinking of calling meself Calvin, and did for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

All I know is I've had the nick for over 12 years at least (wow). This was before I started on the Internet. Can't remember how it started it but it stuck and there are still some people I know quite well who don't know my real name.. Funny having arguments with muppets on IRC claiming they had the nick first. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

the meaning of the name is twofold.

First : i like stratedgy games, and generally use blitzkrieg style tactics. Like once, playing Civ2 I captured 142 enemy cities in one turn. Took seven hours though :eek!:

Second : a Blitzkrieger was an elite SS stormtrooper who generally went in ahead of the main attack to disrupt the enemy defenses, which suits my style of play in TFC down to the bone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Kharn (aka Kharn the Betrayer) comes from the Warhammer 40,000 universe, created by Games Workshop. He's a chaos chapion of Khorne don't ya know.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Okay, to clear up a common question:

It's NOT from the Band, I had it before I ever heard of them (Been using it for 10 years now) and I've never even heard a song of theirs.....

It just popped into my head and seemed to stick there....It's also an anagram of my name, strangely enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Sico - a mix of sicko and psycho. I've been called these throughout my teenage years. Now where did I put that chainsaw... :P

BTW, yer didn't explain yerself, Paladin...

[This message has been edited by Sico (edited 08-04-2000).]

• Advertisement

a paladin is a kind of holy knight isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Pat kenny is the name of a guy I met on death row a few years ago (killed his whole family or something) mad.gif .He got off on an appeal,heard he went off and did pretty good for himself got a tv job or something.

con

A Paladin holy? uuuuh no. I dont think so anyway. Its possible I suppose smile.gif

Should have said at start actually, but my name comes from knights of King Charlemagne's court of 14th century Europe,France/Germany region.
    They were the best fighters of their day, true and loyal to their king, and trusted protectors of the crown. Fierce in battle, and never camped. In fact they went to great length to kill campers!

I only remembered the name from the very first computer game I played about 8 years ago- Quest For Glory
    but I had read about them before, so it wasnt really from the game.
    PaladinAnimated.gif

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited 08-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

I am in fact a shiny metal hen.
    Typing can be quite a problem wink.gif

[This message has been edited by metalchicken (edited 08-04-2000).]

lol smile.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Manach; Irish for monk, as I spend most of my days in a cell/cubicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Munch...
    I eat...
    Lots.

Metalchicken seems to have the lead so far.
    (I bet she rekons shes a real hard chick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

"Monty" comes from my old school, because the guy who sat had the surname Smithers, I just kept it as a nick after i left school....

"- the one and only" comes from an altercation where another user of the boards some how got my password and stated posting sheer crap, I had to seperate myself from that fools idiotic posts, so there you go!!!

smile.gif

Yes, you can all have a look back at:
    The time it happened
    smile.gif

oh man that's some funny sh1t!

the grotto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

And there's me worried you were a Chesney Hawks fan....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭madyoke

I'm known as MAD YOKE

guess why >?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Paladin i thought came from LOTR - very minor character (in fact he doesnt feature at all, but his son features quite a lot smile.gif)

*My* nick come from an animé called Evangelion, same as shinjis. How it came to be and what it is is another story - actually it started as a joke but i never bothered to change it. I am gradually changing it though (i have about 5 other nicks which i use from time to time) due to nasty mispronunciations >_< :P

Work it out...

[This message has been edited by Asuka (edited 09-04-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

GREENHELL
    comes from the Misfits song GreenHell covered by Metallica in Garage .Inc

ghskull.gif

[This message has been edited by GREENHELL (edited 09-04-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

no - Paladin was pippin's father. he wasn't a character at all, just mentioned "Peregrin son of Paladin".
    But a paladin is like a holy knight champion in shining armour thing. That was in a Terry brooks book i read years ago, and also on the film Stand By Me.
    O Paladin, O paladin,
    where do you roam?
    O Paladin, O paladin,
    you are far from home.
    Blah blah blah
    A knight without armour in a savage land...
    The man called Paladin.

I told you paladin, a holy night!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Snaga

Any Gemmel Readers about? wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

JAK

Just my Initials

A holy night would be like christmas or something.
    I do realise that the name paladin is much more widespread than I thought. I realised this when it appeared in some new game (I forget the name). I took the name tho, from the information that I mentioned before...knight of charlemagnes court. Look it up in an encyclopedia and I rekon thats what it will tell you. Mine dodnt mention anything about being a holy knight.
    Perhaps they are. I didnt do a full historical research on the name yet:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

My old (and highly dodgy) webpage contains all the relevant info on my nick.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 10-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

www.iol.net/~mullent

MAY EL_PRESIDENTE'S REIGN LAST A THOUSAND YEARS!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Marcus, Markus, Arkus, Arky

Boss is optional.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Mine a nickname from school, gotten when I was in first year (jaysus - 10 years ago now!) from a dodgy story I wrote.

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

from AD&D roleplaying... it's the older way of spelling it, when a new setting came out they changed it around to lloth, or loth to keep the munchkins happy. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

my name isn't harVee, it's harVey. had to change it ocs someone changed my password and i couldn't use harVey anymore. sad really
    harVey

• Advertisement

HarVee looks better than HarVey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

ahem. well the cm bit should be ignored... i lost the password for tyranny.... boo hoo
    but my dictionary defines tyranny as an evil or despotic abuse of power. which was nice.
    back in the days of doom and descent i was always either jehovah or deus ; g0d is a logical progression from there.
    how i came by tyranny is really too sad to mention, but ummm, theleadsingerfromcradleoffilthsdaughteriscalledtyranny. happy now?

take away the wine, a restlessness plagues me

But whos nick is the best?, thats the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

you're probably right about the word paladin paladin - most knights are usually associated with kind of holy religious stuff and things... Snaga - isn't that a small orc in tolkien-speech?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

hey steve, aren't you normally the one who takes away every one else's wine...

and i dunno 2040, think i prefer harVey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Lucutus, Of course it came from Star Trek.

Change the 'O' to a 'U' (Locutus = Lucutus) to avoid copyright infringement from Paramount Studios (It's been known to happen...sometime, someplace, somehow!) As well as that, when I migrated to The Undernet IRC from web chat, (Anyone remember web communities long since disappeared like Atlantic Island, The Emerald Rooom, and The Burren, now known as Seaswans Harbour on Paddynet?), the nick 'Locutus' was a 24/7 bot on a gay channel, (Those buffties love their Picard! wink.gif ), So it had to be changed for that too.

Someone studying latin once told me it was the latin word for 'Speaker', which I liked. (Ties in with the name given to the Borg's ambassodor to the federation and earth, they needed someone to be the borg's spokeperson to earth and the means of assimilation of the human species into the collective.)

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Reading that Lucutis made me tired.... its like your whole life story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 High_Ping_King

Give a guess.

smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

erm, when i was in first year in college in 92 i used skippy coz im from australia. used to spend about 10 hours a da on a talker called foothills on telnet.
    then one day, someone had robbed my nick so i needed a new one.
    i thought long and hard and the only thing i could think of was mario. since ithought he looked like a painter in his overalls and i could only think of white wash paint i thought id call myself whitewash. then i just added man at the end for some strange reason.
    i have to say its on of the few nicks ive seen that is actually original smile.gif

oh and pebble came from the time i was playing hockey and i was called a pebble in defence coz they alreadsy had a rock there smile.gif

and yer'ma comes from a converstion with tincool.

actually tincool used tinfoil for a while coz at one stage, one of the lads in our clan used to spellcheck his mails (?) and it told him the clostest word to tincool was tinfoil, which i think is highly amusing smile.gif

Mine is the most original nick going...

/me remembers inspiration for nick!

phan-sm.jpg

twenty-sign.jpg

[This message has been edited by 2040 (edited 11-04-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

aaah harvee.... that realllly hurts :P

and snaga is the name of druss' big phallic axe in david gemmels legend series; it is also orcish [in lotr] for "slave" lotr was written quite some time previous to legend but gemmel is still kinda cool.
    do i win a prize snaga?

and its beer i nick not wine; im classy but not that classy wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hmm, no 20-40, I have to say I don't agree with you :P

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Acoustic

see!!

/me votes himself worst nick...

Just shut it lump - everyone knows my nick is the best!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement