Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covers

• 16-04-2003 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

The worst thing to play at a gig is a bad cover.
    If playing any covers you have 2 options, play it exactly as it's played by the band you're covering, or completely change it.

Here are my top 3 songs NOT to play.

1. Stairway to Heaven.
    2. Nothing Else Matters.
    3. Enter Sandman.

Generally people like to hear songs they know, but on the other hand you have to be playing stuff you like yourself.

Try some Tool or Deaftones or something interesting like that, once it's loud and you don't **** up it should be fine.

:ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

I DONT THINK YOU SHOULD PLAY ANY COVERS!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah like the guy says, DONT PLAY ANY COVERS.

But if you adamant on doing it then at least pick something pop or kitch and rock it up a bit. I saw the crayonz doing a cover of 'cherish - madonna' and it worked well. Most covers suck tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I beg to differ I think a band should play "A" cover.

Sometimes when the crowd starts to die down at a gig and lose interest in the band theres nothing that can bring them back with a nice quick and loud cover.

So IMHO you shouldn't plan to play a cover at a gig but you should have one for backup purposes.

So who's going to be the 1st to lay into me with "covers don't encourage originality or push out the envelope any further than it already is"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If your an unknown band, it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a cover in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Van Halen started as a covers band. Mind you they did sound a little different...

Lots of bands play covers. But you have to make them your own and add new material, unless of course you want to be covers band. Theres nothing wrong with that either.

All the great bands and artists I like played covers, even when they were established. They did it because they really liked the music. I for one don't have a problem with that.

However if all you are doing is covering songs badly, well thats entirely different. Thats just criminal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement