Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The guy annoys me!!

• 16-04-2003 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

There's a guy in college who thinks me and my mates are all his friends, he thinks everyone is his friend... But we can't stand him. He's the most annoying person ever. He can't take the hint that we aren't his friends. It's gotten to the stage where as soon as he turnes his back to talk to another of his 'friends', we run like mad to ditch him. It sounds cruel and mean, but if he left us alone, we'd leave him alone. He just doesn't get it!!! Some times I feel like throwing him in the lake. Once a friend told him that he didn't like him, and that he shouldn't hang around with us anymore. We didn't see him the rest of the day, but the next day he was BACK... like nothing had happened!! Freaking goldfish memory! What should we do?!

Any ideas??

Anybody know anyone else like that??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're in UCD, then we'll probably be talking about the same guy :D

Unless he's always talking to you, or invading your personal space, there's no point in being a **** to the guy. If there's just two of you, make it obvious that you're going somewhere that he can't, or you don't want him to go, e.g. "Are you heading home, cos I've to go off and meet my mum/dad/bf/gf now." If you happen to bump into him at the bar later, say "Oh I changed my mind, etc etc". If he asks "Where are we going later?", you say "I don't know", and don't bother telling him when you're leaving. Eventually he'll cop on. But there's no use in being horrible to the guy, he's just lonely.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah, I think I know who you're talking about. I'm experiencing similar problems. I'm at my wit's end at this stage, I think there might be a contract out on his head now. Grr...argh. He's more annoying than 9am chemistry. More annoying than "computer services". More annoying than when the network crashes when you have 20 minutes to do a lab report.
    He makes me want to start a Columbine-style massacre, put it that way. What should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I know how you fell. I hate having to put up with really annoying morons. The best thing to do is to say as a group that he is not wanted in the group. There's power in numbers. Don't tell him to piss off. He'll just want to take that as a joke. What you should do is speak in a calm voice and say something really seriously. Do not insult him. He'll just come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

If you knew who I was on about, you'd know that none of that works. We've tried, oh lord how we've tried. Seriously.

• Advertisement

I think I know who you're refering to. God he is annoying! I think the best thing to do is try to avoid him. He doesn't seem to get that nobody likes him, so why bother trying? Just try to avoid him.

Besides it'd crush him if he found out that everyone he knows hates him... that would crush anyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

HEHEHEHEHEHE You poor people. I feel for you! Good Luck with him :)

laugh at us and we'll inflict him on you!

Does anybody else know this guy? Does anyone know how to get rid of him? Has anyone had any sucess in getting him to see the truth. It'd much better for him if he got some real true friends. He must see the truth!! Has anyone had any success??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

good luck getting rid of him but whatever yis do, please DO NOT send him to engineering!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I don't mean to sound anal but remember he has feelings too. You lot sound like your in secondry school. Give the guy a break. How would you feel if you were in his position ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I wouldn't have thought there was so many shallow people in one place! Don't get me wrong, I understand your problem- but it sounds like the guy thinks your all his mates.....if you all gang up on him or start a club against him, it sounds like there may be some serious consequences. Try and put yourselves in his shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

he probably genuinely thinks ye are his friends, and because of his annoying personality doesnt really have any.....but college is where you leave all that secondary school shiit behind.....no one in college should not have friends, and no one should be treated like that, no matter how sucidial they make you feel..........had one of those guys in our group, me and another m8 being the only ones who were actually friends with him, to be honest he annoyed the **** outta me most mornins....but the rest of the time we just laughed our asses off at him..not in a mean way but the shiit he used say and do was rediculous.........does he really piss you off that much or is it a group thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

the best thing to do is klonk him on the head with somthing hard untill he falls over...take his wallet and hdie the body in a bush....if u are desperate u may also have your way with him :rolleyes:

no but seriously i know exactly the type of person your talking about and if youve been runing off etc im SURE he knows you dont like him BUT thats not gonna stop him...your gonna have to put up with him and just try and thread lightly on his feelings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What's so annoying about him?

is he not /down/ with it or something?? Not 'homie' enough to be in your gang? :rolleyes:

As someone else said, he's probably just lonely, and probably going into overkill as a result.

UCD has circa 17,000 full-time students. Imagine going in there not knowing a single person before you're quick to judge him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There has to be something good about him!! Even if its just so you can make fun of him and use him as an errand boy or something... by the way you are sounding childish!!

If you really want to get rid of him.. move to another college or something... Sound like a silly idea? Im sure it does.. as does the reason for this post.

Give him a chance... he is probably being overbearing because he wants to get to know people.. he might relax if you actually treat him like a person and not a fly to be swatted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by daveg
    I don't mean to sound anal but remember he has feelings too. You lot sound like your in secondry school. Give the guy a break. How would you feel if you were in his position ?

100% agree.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

he is probably being overbearing because he wants to get to know people..

Yes that's true. If you're always giving him the cold shoulder then he probably feels he has to "perform" all the time for attention. If you make the guy feel more secure about himself he's much more likely to relax. Secure people are a lot more content with silence by the way.

Lemming Well what's wrong with him? It's not that he isn't /cool/ or anything like. It's hard to describe it, he just talks about the most boring subjects (and we like maths, so we talk about maths a lot! Says something doesn't it?). Aso he has a way of taking over a conversation and talking about the most boring things. He has no social skills and constantly interups other people to talk to someone abot something completly different. He never seems to understand when a subject of conversation is over, and keep talking about it for ages after. He's just so annoying!! Also he knew a few people coming into college, and everone is quite freindly in our faculty

mooman_00 I'd say he does really think we all are his friends, and it's not like we only want to hang around with people we like. If he didn't piss us off, we won't mind. But he does piss us off!! So much!!

I know it sounds childish, but we have a real problem here. Since he annoys us so much one of these days one of us is going to just have had enough, and flip. That would be messy. It'd probably crush his world. If he can somehow take the hint and find some real friends everyone (including him) would be happy. Also you have to be honest. Why should us all have to put up with getting totally annoyed whenever we just want to hang around? It's not like we seek him out! In fact we try very much to avoid him, and he seeks us out.

Right put yur money where your money is:
    Is there anyone out there who knows and likes him?
    Anyone who knows him and hates him?

You can't critise us till you meet him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Hey look all I can say is go easy on the guy. Just remember that we all get lonley and it can be a horible place to be. Im not saying take him under your wing but try and be a little bit nice to him.
    After all what would it realy cost you to put up with him for even an hour but it could make a hugh difference to his life.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Me like pie!!
    t's hard to describe it, he just talks about the most boring subjects (and we like maths, so we talk about maths a lot! Says something doesn't it?).

Actually it says more about you than him. And not in a good way. I'm not meaning to stick the boot in but isn't it simply a case that what he likes isn't what you like? What does he talk about? For example?

I remember being back in secondary, and at the start of it I was completely at odds with most other people in my year, simply because I was into things that others weren't. Simple as that. I learned what worked and what didn't. Everyone has to learn sometime. You just don't wake up one morning and know all about "not seeming boring".

Aso he has a way of taking over a conversation and talking about the most boring things. He has no social skills and constantly interups other people to talk to someone abot something completly different. He never seems to understand when a subject of conversation is over, and keep talking about it for ages after.

So he's not the most socially adept of people. Possibily because everyone he's ever known has ostracised him & never given him a chance to figure this out. I wonder what his social standing was before 3rd level?

Next time he interrupts, why don't you simply say that you're in the middle of a conversation and does he mind waiting? He'll learn. And not feel crushed because "nobody likes him and he can't understand why"

If he can somehow take the hint and find some real friends everyone (including him) would be happy. Also you have to be honest.

In short, none of you want to do your own dirty work and hope the problem goes away.

Au contraire .. we can. And I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i gotta say, if i were in your position i'd just let him hang around with your group. it feels soooooooo bad to be excluded.
    i mean, if your in a group surely there are a good few people so it's not like you have to put up with his annoyingness all by youself, you'll all just get little doses.
    it can't be that big a deal to you guys to just be civil to him, yet i'm sure it would mean an awful lot to him.
    just my thoughts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by Me like pie!!

Right put yur money where your money is:
    Is there anyone out there who knows and likes him?
    Anyone who knows him and hates him?

alright heres twenty euro

i love him, in fact i love him so much im going to have children with him and as newly found gay lovers its our right to bear children.......even if we biologically cant!

all im saying is you dont have to love everyone....in fact you dont have to love anyone....just give the poor boy a chance, and i havent seen anyone of the two of ye mention why he pisses YOU off...i think the group says that they dont like him and as sheep ye say ye dont like him without giving him a chance on your own...........thats what i think anyway.........and im not trying to be a martyr here i do it sometimes, but one on one with somone i always give them a chance and if it looks like they dont have any other friends id go talk to them.......think outside the group for once......

/ rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Q not another teen movie.... This is like one of them stupid American Teen movies!!

And Merc is right... you are posting on the internet about your troubles instead if "dealing" with them.... Stop being an Ostrich and get your shít together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Why exactly is he so annoying?
    (And dont tell me because he wont go away)

Originally posted by Saruman
    And Merc is right... you are posting on the internet about your troubles instead if "dealing" with them

Isn't that the whole point of the Personal Issues board?

People have been saying that I should do something about it, well I've tried!! What would you do? If you don't really like someone and don't like hanging around with them what would you do? That's the problem I have. I can't lie and act high and moral with all this crap about 'love your neighbour'. Fact is I don't like him, and don't want to spend all my time hanging around with him! Call me a dickhead if you want but then get your head out of the clouds and come down to the real world. There are people in the world that you don't like. Deal with that!

So how do you stop someone hanging around with you?
    You'd try to avoid him. Tried it didn't work.
    Not talk to him often. Tried it didn't work.
    We've tried many things.

It's not like we always hated him. At the start of the college year everyone was friendly with everyone, we gave him a chance, like everyone. We found out that he was annoying, so didn't want to hang around with him, but he never got the hint.

Lemming Well if you sittin around talking about something or other, he'd interuppt the person who was talking and just start talking away to someone else even if that person clearly was trying to listen to the other person. EG
    -"Did you see the match last night?"
    -"nah, I don't follow football." (true I don't, At this point I try to listen to what the other people were talking about)
    -"<whatever-team> were real good, ..." Then commences a one sided 'conversation' about last night's football match.

I think the big thing is that he has NO social skills!! How can someone like that not annoy you?? Even if you're so pissed off at him and just turn around and walk off (I know it's horrible), he doesn't take the hint and follows you still talking. It's a very bad and horibble way to give some one a very large hint. BUT HE DOESN'T GET IT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Tell him to **** off.

.logic.

• Advertisement

In order to tell him bluntly that nobody likes him it would have to be very blunt, very quick, and very cruel. We've tried before to tell him to f u c k off but he things we're joking. We want to find a peaceful solution , ie one that doesn't destroy his image and his social 'life'. Because that is what it would take. On the other hand it might be fun to blow off some steam....

Originally posted by logic1
    Tell him to **** off.

.logic.

We have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

If the guy interupts you when you're speaking you say "Excuse me but I was speaking." You don't have to be an arsehole to be assertive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 paraintellect

You guys are all assholes being all like sensitive and ****, this guy is a ****ing retard and does'nt know his ass from his elbow,you guys are talking ****

P.s the lifegaurd was'nt looking when he got into the genepool, i mean how can one guy be devolved.At first i felt sorry for him but that wears off, unfortunately he does'nt, his stupidity and complete random comments seem to grow exponentially

para-un-intellect (apparently)

What age are you? 17/18? Where's this guy from? What do you know about his life before college?

I've met quite a few people through my time through 2nd/3rd level whom others were extremely nasty to and quick to judge, yet when it transpired that said persons had quite sad lifes before everyone was rather guilty.

Since you're whinging about being all sensitive and stuff, and complaining that this guy doesn't know his a*se from his elbow ... I'll be equally lacking of sensitivity and say what I'm really thinking so you can see how it feels....

Quite frankly, you're behaving like little f*cking brats. Nothing more than cattle in the "herd". I feel sorry for this guy that THIS is the calibre of people with whom he has to try and make friends.

Further, I'm horrified that this is the next generation. Unable to think for themselves, and devoid of social graces. YES .... devoid. Take a long look in the mirror.

None of you ever answered my questions on what kinda stuff does this guy go on about that's so boring?

It sounds like a classic case of "Oh yaaa, loike, it was soooo oh-my-god, ya know loike".

You're coming across (whether intentional or not) as nothing more than uber-elitest brats with a stain on your boot-heel.

Right .. I'm going to take a chill-pill now because I'm in a foul mood today and probably shouldn't be posting ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Seamus, we thinking the same person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

My advice would be to the guy you don't like. I'd tell him to go and find real friends - not assholes like you.
    You guys are all assholes being all like sensitive and ****, this guy is a ****ing retard and does'nt know his ass from his elbow,you guys are talking ****

If you don't like the advice your getting piss off and post on another board.
    Call me a dickhead if you want

You & your friends are dickheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My thoughts exactly

Listen up,hers's the story with this guy ANYONE who knows this guy does not like him,we're not being all D4 like and s******ing at him,i genuinely feel sorry for him.It's JUST HE IS SO ANNOYING that you cannot stand to be near him.He comes out with the most random comments,which are completely unrelated to what you are talking about.Also he wrecks any conversation that you are in with anyone.He talks over you and does'nt listen to you.He is completely devoid of any intelligence whatsoever,he complety relies on other people to decide things for him,for all intensive purposes he is a lost little puppy dog,who is ugly as ****, is'nt cute and is annoying as he is ugly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Punch him in the face. Then punch lemming in the face. Then randomly punch everyone else in the face.

Plenty face punching.

.logic.

• Advertisement

now anyone out there who knows this guy,speak up if you disagree with me on anything i have just said,because if there are'nt any objections to what i have said from people who know who i am talking about,i think everyone else will have to accept the truth that this guy is the most BORING person i have ever meet

Originally posted by paraintellect
    Listen up,hers's the story with this guy ANYONE who knows this guy does not like him,we're not being all D4 like and s******ing at him,i genuinely feel sorry for him.It's JUST HE IS SO ANNOYING that you cannot stand to be near him.He comes out with the most random comments,which are completely unrelated to what you are talking about.Also he wrecks any conversation that you are in with anyone.He talks over you and does'nt listen to you.He is completely devoid of any intelligence whatsoever,he complety relies on other people to decide things for him,for all intensive purposes he is a lost little puppy dog,who is ugly as ****, is'nt cute and is annoying as he is ugly

Funny thing is after a rant like that and been all D4 like............. you would be the kind of person id be much more likly to tell to fuc|< off from my group. sorry but it has to be said.

College huh? I take it you dont take English then?

Look no one is so annoying they cant be got on with. I know plenty of people i find irritating and annoying... Some i don't particularly like.. I will still talk to them, share jokes and be nice to them. I will slag them off in a friendly manner and make fun of the fact their jokes make no sense and are cryptic and so on.. etc etc.. So GET OVER IT MUPPETS!!!!! If I can be friendly to people who sound like your guy.. then so can you. :ninja:

/me punches logic in the face

then runs........very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

P.s the lifegaurd was'nt looking when he got into the genepool, i mean how can one guy be devolved.
    who is ugly as ****, is'nt cute and is annoying as he is ugly

Aren't you mature. Is he making your elite little group look bad?

Boo ****ing hoo.

Lemming, don't take your post back. You were spot on.

Well is'nt everyone high and mighty,it crushes me that you would tell me to **** off from your group,because all i really want is your approval.It's what i strive for in life,the approval of strangers.Thanks for crushing for dream

Originally posted by paraintellect
    Well is'nt everyone high and mighty,it crushes me that you would tell me to **** off from your group,because all i really want is your approval.It's what i strive for in life,the approval of strangers.Thanks for crushing for dream

You realy aren't a very nice person at all are you ? :(

That hurts me,please thread lighty for you thread on my dreams

Originally posted by Saruman
    College huh? I take it you dont take English then?

Its a sad sad day when im forced to quote myself.... sigh....

However I think it fits into that nonsensical post.
    Now im off to play pool with someone who talks very loud and might be considered "annoying"

flamingmuppet.jpg

Originally posted by logic1
    Punch him in the face. Then punch lemming in the face. Then randomly punch everyone else in the face.

Plenty face punching.

.logic.

Want to make something of it Logic? ;)

I challenge you to a duel ... with socks ... with jellybabies in them .... 12 midnight, Rosslare strand, down by the beach .....

I swear I'll be there :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement