Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The guy annoys me!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Well is'nt everyone high and mighty,it crushes me that you would tell me to **** off from your group,because all i really want is your approval.It's what i strive for in life,the approval of strangers.Thanks for crushing for dream

Do you not think that that is exactly what he is striving for as well. Approval of others. Whatever about your behaviour and the slagging thats gone on, fine, forget about it. You came here cos you had a problem.

I reckon I know the guy, and he's only annoying if you let him be annoying. If you actually speak to him on the same level you'll find he's not too bad. It's extremely difficult for people to find a niche in UCD and once you take down the barriers of being a w****r to him he'll probably emerge as a different person.

Btw, if you can't learn to tolerate him it shows a severe lack of social skills on your behalf.

There's my money with my mouth.
    I accept all major credit cards and make cheques to 'cash'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Iz it cause he ain't black?

Not down? ....

Do all the girlies say he's really fly ... 'for a white guy'?

for shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Lemming
    Want to make something of it Logic? ;)

I challenge you to a duel ... with socks ... with jellybabies in them .... 12 midnight, Rosslare strand, down by the beach .....

I swear I'll be there :D

Seriously I don't even know where rosslare is :(

But the strand sounds nice... a sexy duel between men of stature mmmmm

We can call it

"Men who touch their swords off each other"

(totally off topic but hey)

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Saruman I don't really believe you could become friends with him. If you knew him, you'd know. Nobody is that annoying.

What's with all the herd krap? It's not that our 'group' dissaproves of him. Everyone does!! If it was just me and him i'd go nuts!

Again is there anyone out there who knows him and isn't annoyed by him? ANYONE?! Everyone who says they know who we're talking about is annoyed by him.

Proves something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Saruman I don't really believe you could become friends with him. If you knew him, you'd know. Nobody is that annoying.

Im all confused now..... is that not a contradiction in terms?

Ah fudge this topic is getting boring...

When I was in school I had no problem being nice to those that were considered "retards". They were exactly the way you describe this chap! I had no problem with it.. then again im a very nice person and make the effort to be friendly to most people I meet.

Im not the most social person in the world, I don't have the best social skills either.. but I still have no problem being nice to people. I would also have no problem letting someone know to stay the hell away from me.

Look if you MUST get rid of him.. pretend he does not exist... when he talks over your conversation, ignore the fact and continue with your own.. Don't look at him don't acknowledge his existence, if he runs down the street on fire screaming for help then look the other way and ignore him... If you can do this.. congratulations.. you are a complete ass are welcome to act like one whenever you like as you have earned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Have you tried giving him the "It's not you - Its me" speech!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Hatchie

just fart beside him, and keep farting
    that will get rid of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Okay I have only read half the posts, so sorry if I am repeating myself but,

A lot of people here are saying 'grow up' just ignore the guy but I compltely understand their problem.
    If hes anything like the guy we hang around with then you CAN'T ignore him, he always takes over the conversation, and in my case is very loud.
    He hangs around in our group, and that is when it is worst, on his own he is grand.

Whenever the guy is out, the day is much more relaxing and stress free. The guy is always so full of ****, ALL the time. Whenever you dispute him, he says you're full of **** and calls you a bull****er.
    The guy just wreacks my head.
    In the past I told him many times we didnt like him etc, and so did a lot of other people, the reason he hung out with us is that we gave him the least cráp.

So everyone who thinks they should put up with him, and be nice are probably full of shít. If this guy pisses them off then they should save themselves some hassles and tell him to 'get lost' in a way he wont comeback (he doesnt have to insult them)

Originally posted by Saruman
    Im all confused now..... is that not a contradiction in terms?

Ah fudge this topic is getting boring...

When I was in school I had no problem being nice to those that were considered "retards". They were exactly the way you describe this chap! I had no problem with it.. then again im a very nice person and make the effort to be friendly to most people I meet.

Im just using this quote to point out to everyone that, there is a BIG difference between 'unpopular' people and 'annoying' people. I never have any problems with talking with anyone, no matter what everyone else thinks. But I do not want to have to talk to a guy who annoys me, shouts at me, starts fights all the time, and who wouldn't go away if you punched him.

These guys actually have a problem, someone who really annoys them wont leave them alone...

BTw i have no connection with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by paraintellect
    That hurts me,please thread lighty for you thread on my dreams
    You're a bit of a plank but that was actually pretty funny.

Thats if you deliberately mis-spelled "tread" which I remain unconvinced about.

The point people are making about the difference between an unpopular person and a ****ing annoying one is valid.

It may not be very nice they really seem to dislike this person why should they tolerate him? I knew some awful awful terrible people in college, you tolerate them for a while but then it becomes soul destroying, and btw these weren't the unpopular they were just ****ing assholes.

Life's too short and college is definately too short to spend hanging around with people who make you miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Look all that everyone is saying is that you dont have to be his best mate but like I said before and hour or even a few nice words a day to someone isnt going to kill you and it could make all the difference to his happiness. I mean dont be totally cold hearted often people like the guy you have described are deeply unhappy and to just be civil isnt a large thing to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I know its goin a bit off topic but,

Im from the north and im goin to UCD hopefully next year. I know no one. Nobodys goin to UCD from my year, only girls goin to Trinity. (Ive got relatives in dublin). For a stranger is it difficult to make friends? Do people hang around in the groups they were in in secondary school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

One thing strikes me right off,........

I am very far from being somone who tolerates other peoples ignorance well, being a wheelchair user and also gay, I have dealt with intolerance all my life in many different ways.

*But* I also know there are people in this world who it takes a *lot* of time, effort and human compassion, to make them understand that their behaviour is unaccecptable, undesirable, or just damned innappropriate, and yes there are also people with little or no social experience

Usually if somone has gotten to college age and is still so socially enept you will find that throughout their lives their social interaction has been severely limited in one way or another.
    And not knowing *how* to fit in and develop friendships can be just as if not more debilitating than losing an arm, leg or having any other physical disability.

Maybe, just maybe he is somone who is learning later in life than most, the accecptable social "rules" for making friends.
    And if so, do you really think you have the right to slate him for that, considering he is very unlikely to have *chosen* that for himself.
    If this is true, do you still feel like making him believe, possibly for the rest of his life that people are not worth knowing, that he shouldnt even bother trying to get to know others, or that he is an inadequate human being? All alienation like that achieves is to plant the seed of potential for forms of revenge on society in the future. An these days we have enuf people like that in our midst allready.

Surely it would be better to help him learn *what* your little group, and/or ppl in general find accecptable behaviour?

Of *course* u dont *have* to help him, but consider this, I heard a few years ago, of a 19y.o. kid in germany, who felt unable to make friends in college, felt that everyone hated him (even though they pretended to like him, then got bored an polietly told him they found him objectionable),

he ended up taking a shotgun to his head.

Turned out he was horribly abused as a child, had never developed effective social skills because of having to build a offensive "front" for survival.

The following weeks, all the local papers were full of these college "friends" talking about how much they regretted never even tried getting to know him on a ONE TO ONE basis, because it became obvious that he hadnt a hope of being able to do anything other than panic or be objectionable in a group scenario.

I doubt any one of them will ever forget that as long as they live, maybe try learning from their experience before you create such an experience for yourself?

If somone here was to say to me that they arranged to go out for a drink with him, just one on one, and tried to discover *why* he does this as opposed to moaning about the fact that he does, and if he was still the same after that, then maybe I might be more inclined to have more sympathy for you & believe that you truly would be open to being friendly towards him were there *any* possibility he might be a nice person.

Very little in life, when it comes to human beings, is *exactly* as it seems, but one thing inevitably runs true, you can never judge a book by its cover, nor a person by his or her coping mechanism or rate of social learning.

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Dawntreader you make good points and beautifully put.

A good friend of mine now is someone who at one stage I absolutely hated in college ( and wanted nothing to do with) before for one reason or another getting to know him better. He still gets on nerves my betimes but not in the same way. It's difficult to describe. He's a difficult person but worth the effort at times.

I still think that things like that are a rarity and that some people are just ****ing assholes. Maybe the person mentioned above deserves a chance and would be worth knowing if given the opportunity to be unselfconsciously himself.

But I don't really think the self-centred pseudo-adolescents above are ones to do it.

I personally reckon the fella in question needs to get laid on a regular basis. But then don't we all?

Originally posted by Dawntreader

If somone here was to say to me that they arranged to go out for a drink with him, just one on one, and tried to discover *why* he does this as opposed to moaning about the fact that he does, and if he was still the same after that, then maybe I might be more inclined to have more sympathy for you & believe that you truly would be open to being friendly towards him were there *any* possibility he might be a nice person.
    B

But what is the point in getting to know him one on one if you'll nearly be always in a group.
    Jesus H. Christ these people are in college, why would they waste their time on an annoying c*nt. And yes...i mean waste.

Also Dawntreader, dont be so melodramatic.
    Ohh, these guys are such assholes because someone who they dont want to be friends with MIGHT have been abused as a child, oh dear, he could kill us all.

Hmmm I think I'll be melodramatic now....
    Someone walks up to you on the street, stabs you to steal your phone...but WAIT!! Dont get mad, or call the gardas, or press charges because his dad might have spanked him as a child.

Hmmm...Ive never been such an asshole in my post before......its a touchy subject tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Melodramatic? Moi!?....... :D ....never!

Touchy subject for you or not, frankly, I shall treat your response with the measure of contempt that IMHO it deserves, I would seriously advise you *not* to make vague attempts at insinuating that I am saying somthing as stupid as that, for reasons I refuse to go into here, I would never imply that just because somone was abused gives them licence to behave badly, but nor would I ever attempt to trivialise abuse as you have IMHO by your melodrama scenario.

I may be overreacting for my own personal reasons, but whether it is a touchy subject for you as you say, or not, I dont let anybody away with trying to make out I meant anything other than what I clearly stated, nor would I expect to be let away with same.

It was merely an attempt to show that things are not always as they appear to be and that somtimes there are things that *might* contribute to a persons behaviour that allthough one dosent *have* to take into consideration, one may well benefit from doing so.
    Why would they spend time doing that?.....well, maybe because some people (thankfully) have some sense of decency towards others and a desire to understand and relate to others, and whose minds are not closed to the idea that people can change.
    Also, there is another point to be made regarding that, the time spent in college is never wasted IMHO, some of my closest friends are friends I met in college, some of whom *gasp* even *I* didnt take to for a lonnng time!

IMHO the fact that these people are in college does not detract from their ability to potentially feel compassion towards another, nor does it mean that every last one of them dosen't want to.
    Also, which would take more energy, trying this once, or trying to avoid him all year?

Also, i have re-read my original post and still cannot see where I referred to them as "assholes"? Please show me.

in conclusion, while the last line of your post leads me to believe it was a post based to an extent on an emotional reaction, I hope you understand that *your* emotional reaction is somthing I will not allow to make out that my comments were in any way foolish. I have too much respect for myself and others to allow that.

B.

Melodramatic Dawntreader swishes his feather boa over his left shoulder and sashays out of the room

Any response from the UCD people about my friends question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

mr roger bongos not sure about ucd but yes there are groups in college....they are usually not as restrictive or exclusive as secondary school and quite large....i found myself having 5 or 6 groups to hang around with in college, meaning when i felt like it i could hang out with any one of those groups of people.......but normally id just be in a group that is basically a merger of all the groups............its hard to explain but there are groups, they are just not as restrictive or exclusive as secondary school........

get in to some of the clubs and soc's easiest way to make friends!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

On the whole boring issue, my english teacher grilled me for writing a 5 page essay on how dull Remains of the day is. "The book is not boring you are bored easily" was marked in large red ink when he gave it back to me. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread but i like telling meaningless stories.

Theres a similar guy lingering around my group of friends, hitman springs to mind.

About the whole UCD friends issue, UCD is a very friendly place, and you can easily get to know people. In the first week or 2 of college nody knows anyone so you can meet loads of new people then.

[-UK-]Wolf If you were to try to just spend one hour with him you'd go nuts, Besides he will follow you around and never take the hint that you don't want to hang around with him. A friend of mine was stuck with him from about 2pm to about 10pm. That would put serious strain on your sanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Mr_Roger_Bongos
    Im from the north and im goin to UCD hopefully next year. I know no one. Nobodys goin to UCD from my year, only girls goin to Trinity. (Ive got relatives in dublin). For a stranger is it difficult to make friends? Do people hang around in the groups they were in in secondary school?

It's not difficult at all. In first year, everybody talks to eachother in order to make friends. In lectures and practicals sit beside someone and strike up a casual conversation. Go get a cup of coffee with them, etc.
    If you're renting (especially on campus), you'll be out drinking with new friends by the second day.
    The general rule is to make any effort. If you sit in front of a computer all day or just go home when your lectures are over, you'll never make new friends.

Friend groups from secondary school tend to get broken up when they don't all go to the same college, and even in college they get gradually eroded by havnig different lecture times, new friends/gfs etc. There are people from my school who I would have talked to all the time in school, whereas now it's just a nod and a 'howya'.

Back on topic, it's clearly obvious that we're *not* talking about the same guy. The guy in my year has become much better since first year, and I had great laugh with him on the piss last night. He's still a little *touched*, but he's always been a nice guy, which is why we never actively went out of our way to exclude him.

IMO, if he's not doing anything that hurts or offends anyone else in the group, then there's no point in being nasty to the guy. Grin and bear it. As others have pointed out, you may regret it in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

College with no people from secondary school....

Well in Galway there's about 4/5 others i know from secondary school, and they get a "hey" but they were never my friends, so i made new ones, people in my house, in my classes, and even in the damned CompSoc.... just talk to people who're interested in what you're interested in, and you'll meet mates of them and slowly you'll have a huge bunch of them!

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    Melodramatic? Moi!?....... :D ....never!

Also, i have re-read my original post and still cannot see where I referred to them as "assholes"? Please show me.

Melodramatic Dawntreader swishes his feather boa over his left shoulder and sashays out of the room

That was more in reference to Saruman's post and others, you're post was very ummm....nice

P.s Lol at all the melodramatics!

seamusIMO, if he's not doing anything that hurts or offends anyone else in the group, then there's no point in being nasty to the guy. Grin and bear it. As others have pointed out, you may regret it in the future.
    He is doing something that hurts us, he anooys the hell out of us! We cannot have a normal conversation with him around, because he wrecks them with his non existant socail skills and rudeness. Why should we have to put up with it? We have wound up hating him. After writing on this thread, it's made me think and i've realised that it's his lack of rudeness that pissed me off about him. Other than that he's not bad. But because he's so rude you can't get to know him coz he pissed you off so god damn quickly. I doon't want to hang around with some one i can't stand and just gets me angry all the time, and means i can't have a normal conversation with my friends. It you are calling me shallow and a dickhead because of that then you are an idiot.

Thanks for all the advice!
    I already know a guy whos in the rifle club! Hehe there should be no lack of mentally balanced people there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

alot of people sticking up for that annoying guy about which this thread was started. why should they give him a break? they are not a "friend charity".

i dont think you should have to hang out with tossers you dont like just because they might get their feelings hurt if you dont. in the long run it will be worse for the guy, ie: reluctantly this group hand out with him for 3 years and eventuall he cops on that they never liked him, that would be more hurtful thinks me.

Originally posted by ferdi
    alot of people sticking up for that annoying guy about which this thread was started. why should they give him a break? they are not a "friend charity".

Ya... and I'm not a "psyco-path" ™, but that doesn't stop me running after people with an axe.

simple

I advise your clique gets itself a special jacket... say something in pink... and anybody who doesn't wear one of these pink jackets... just isn't cool and so by definition 'must' be excluded from your proto-simian quasi-culture grouping ™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

i dont think you should have to hang out with tossers you dont like just because they might get their feelings hurt if you dont. in the long run it will be worse for the guy, ie: reluctantly this group hand out with him for 3 years and eventuall he cops on that they never liked him, that would be more hurtful thinks me.

It sounds like the guy in question is pretty harmless and most likely knows what the 'special jacket wearers' think of him.....he's just fooling himself into thinking their his mates, as the truth would hurt too much.

It's a shame people can't just be a little tolerant for a little while.
    how can you say it'd be better to break the poor guy now as opposed to later??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by ferdi

Because we'd like to live in a society where people help each other out, and if the situation was reversed we'd like people to offer help.

Imagine if all your 'friends' turned around and told youthey didn't like you tomorrow? You'd be crushed. Wouldn't you much prefer if one or a few of them took you to one side and said, listen afew thinsg you do really bug the group and if you didn't do them people would get along with you alot better.

I know which I'd prefer.

There's nothing wrong with not getting on with people, but they still deserve respect & politeness. This guys seems to have serious problems though and since telling him to **** off hasn't solved anything maybe trying to help him might.

Or try get him a girlfriend. :)

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

oo hes ugly and i bet your well fine ya.... gods gift to gay people i bet..(no offence intented to any homosexual:) )

anywyas, grow up you little sh*t i wish it was you in his shoes coz i would laugh at you, everyone gets lonely in some stages in their life and i hope yours comes so soon because your an inconsiderate little boll*x who just thinks about himself..

just my 2p

• Advertisement

Originally posted by patch69
    It sounds like the guy in question is pretty harmless and most likely knows what the 'special jacket wearers' think of him.....he's just fooling himself into thinking their his mates, as the truth would hurt too much.

Isn't the whole point of this thread is that he isn't harmless, and he really annoys everyone and hi-jacks conversations.
    I advise your clique gets itself a special jacket... say something in pink... and anybody who doesn't wear one of these pink jackets... just isn't cool and so by definition 'must' be excluded from your proto-simian quasi-culture grouping ™

As long as they get to exclude you thats fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Isn't the whole point of this thread is that he isn't harmless, and he really annoys everyone and hi-jacks conversations.

course it is!! but thats just one view, the other view is that common decency won't allow most people treat other people like ****:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sangre

Typedef_monsieur_amour
    I advise your clique gets itself a special jacket... say something in pink... and anybody who doesn't wear one of these pink jackets... just isn't cool and so by definition 'must' be excluded from your proto-simian quasi-culture grouping ?

As long as they get to exclude you thats fine by me.

What are you trying to say Snagre... that... my pink jacket doesn't get me into your 'leet pink jacket wearing people social club'?

Well fine... who wants to be in a club filled full of fellas wearing pink jackets 'anyway'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Ok, this is descend to insults.

Solutions:

* Put up and shut up
    * Take him aside and tell him that he's making the group uncomfortable (which makes you cruel and heartless)
    * Take the time to talk to him at his level and get to know the guy, he's probably just shy and nervous and acts irrationally to try and get some friends, he's his own worst enemy.

Now, i;m locking this because people are getting annoyed.

<< Fio >>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement