Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~Fixed/Assigned IP..

Options
  • 16-04-2003 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Just curious, but what are the advantages of a fixed I.P address over a variable one. I see this in a few posts regarding the DSL options available.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Count666
    Just curious, but what are the advantages of a fixed I.P address over a variable one. I see this in a few posts regarding the DSL options available.
    A static/fixed IP means you can run your own mailserver. It also makes running other types of servers (web, ftp, vpn, etc.) a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

You can run your own mail server easily even without having a static IP. There are a few dynamic dns services out there, all you have to do is drop the TTL on the domain to something like 20 seconds and then u can make changes in realtime.

The beauty of having an adsl mode/router combo is you can leave it on and ip will never change.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

it also means you can use voice over ip easier, and those video phones easier. because your IP address doesn't change, your friends can just dial you up typing in your ip address, very similar to your normal telephone number. (naturally they would have to have BB and a video phone too).

And guess how much that video phone call would cost!? Nothing! And there's still mugs paying per minute for a really narrowband voice call. a local call is the price of an international call. an all inclusive price of nothing!

Doesn't affect a company like VIA, but Esat or eircom would give their left one so people never find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by flamegrill
    You can run your own mail server easily even without having a static IP. There are a few dynamic dns services out there, all you have to do is drop the TTL on the domain to something like 20 seconds and then u can make changes in realtime.
    There are dynamic dns services that let you mess around with MX records? Interesting, I couldn't find any with this feature last time I was looking at free dns services. Can you link me please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

With a static IP, if you've got a router that provides a VPN capability, then you can also securely tunnel into your system at home from the office. Useful if you telecommute as it gets around having to create CD's to copy stuff back and forth

(yeah, I know you can get a USB memory key ring!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

You can do all of the above examples with a dynamic dns service surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

With a fixed IP, you can have a domain pointing at it, which would be kind of nice for Voice over IP and video conferencing and stuff.
    It just so happens that via force you to buy a domain as well, so that works out nicely (If you care about remotely accessing your machine).
    I know all of this is possible with a dynamic dns service but it's not as neat. but then again you might not care, which is fair enough.

Originally posted by Dustaz

You sure can, but don't you need to pay for dynamic registration? A static IP is free for sure (after you get over the 55 Euro fleecing)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

this belongs in the broadband forum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i agree ando.

my dyndns service is free. www.mine.nu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Originally posted by Dustaz

Surely the issue here is that if replied on Dynamic DNS services to provide name resoultion to a host providing a service IP telephony/SMTP/FTP whatever... one of the stubling blocks would be the time it takes to replicate the DNS records to the other Name Servers, all over the globe..

eg. your IP telephony service runs on a host "callme.iptel.com" which points to an ipaddress of some sort... then for whatever reason the ipaddress changes and DynamisDNS is updated with the new record, that will take some time to replicate to the other SOA servers around the planet and filter down, and till then only lookups performed on your DNS server or one thats managed to get the update will resolve the corret IP address to succefully make the call..

There's always a latency in updating a DNS entry - this is normal enough. However, with these dynamic DNS registries, I'm thinking that it would be slower because it would basically use their primary domain as a proxy to your domain, so there'd be a double indirection before an external party would hit your host. So even if you changed your domain name hourly, as long as the proxying service doesn't change it shouldn't cause a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by Meh
    There are dynamic dns services that let you mess around with MX records? Interesting, I couldn't find any with this feature last time I was looking at free dns services. Can you link me please?

I use dyndns.org - you can set both mx and backup mx records with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

it also means you can use voice over ip easier, and those video phones easier. because your IP address doesn't change, your friends can just dial you up typing in your ip address, very similar to your normal telephone number. (naturally they would have to have BB and a video phone too).

And guess how much that video phone call would cost!? Nothing! And there's still mugs paying per minute for a really narrowband voice call. a local call is the price of an international call. an all inclusive price of nothing!

Hi nahdoic ,

Can you excuse my ignorance and maybe provide some links with some info about the above ?

Advertisement