Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalls and the bloomin' automatic updates query....

Options
  • 16-04-2003 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning to reinstall Windows XP. I'm been putting it off for quite some time and I feel it's bloated to the gills with old references in the registry etc. In general a clean reinstall is needed. Fine...

The one thing that puts me off this is those bloomin' online updates and fixes which I normally accept (must be about 10 or so since service pack 1.

Is there a page where I can download (without hassle) windows updates in sequence after service pack 1 ? This time I'd rather download and store the update .exes if I could so everything I re-install I don't need to download the same patches again! The windows-update site seems to suggest you have to?

Has anyone found a way or ideas to get these files manually and store them locally rather than download and integrate "automatically" ? :)

It would be brill if there was such a site with a list of incremental patches to download and KEEP for future reinstalls

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ooh, a lot (lot lot lot) more than 10 updates since sp1. I've counted 3 today, 2 yesterday, a few more the days before....

Try windows update catalog :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is it possible to put these somewhere so you don't have to keep downloading them for each and every install on each and every PC.

Really hacks me off that so many of these updates are for IE and not the operating system itself...

(No - I do not accept microsofts solution of using a server to deploy them because that is just more licenses needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is it possible to put these somewhere so you don't have to keep downloading them for each and every install on each and every PC.

That's what the Windows Update Catalog site lets you do.
    Think they're downloaded in such a way that you can make your own download server on your LAN, but if you look through the maze of subdirectories, you'll find the actual updates themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

k.oriordan,

Thanks, I think this is what I'm looking for. After the reinstall I go there and find out what downloads it offers... ie is it clever enough to know that I just want post XP SP1 updates.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement