Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think is a fair price for this PC?

• 16-04-2003 9:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering how much you think I should pay for this PC

Two AMD 2Ghz Processors
    Gigabyte Dual Processor Motherboard (not sure of system bus)
    512MB DDR RAM (expandable up to 1GB)
    60GB HD
    ATI Radeon 7500+ (I think) /w 128MB memory
    And some Creative sound card thingy thats not quite a sound card as theres loads of connection points and as well as that it has to go into one of the expansion bays on the front

Windows 98 SE (apparantly the best OS when it comes to sound engineering)
    No monitor / keyboard or mouse

It also has 3 USB 1 and 1 USB 2 as well as a firewire port

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Sounds like a good machine, not a clue how much to pay though. 800 - 900 yo yo's maybe?? Sounds like that Creative thing is an Audidgy, find out if Audidgy 1 or 2, 2 is obviously better, but one is good as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

is that all I've been offered this machine for €1,500 brand new so am I being ripped or does anyone wanna give a second opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

two amd 2ghz processors ?

if so win98 can only use one processor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I did a quick calculation of components via komplett. If you were to build the machine yourself, expect to pay about 900 - 1000 euros for hardware only.

With 2 CPU's you cannot run win 98 as it does not support multiple processors. So you would need to buy 2000 or XP.

I have a friend in the sound business and recommended him a PC for this purpose recently. The Sound Blaster with a Live-Drive (the thing on the front) is a must for your business, as it is the only device, that I know of, currently available offering all of the inputs and outputs required, for such a favourable price.

The downfall of that system is there will not be enough Hard Drive space. You will be using the machine for editing different tracks, and this is going to eat away your space. I'd recommend getting a larger hard drive, at least 100gb.

To compensate for the increased HDD costs, you could easily do without the second CPU, as it's not really needed for the type of job you say youre going to be using it for.

I'd recommend the following for you....
    Video - MSI GeForce4 MX440 64MB DDR €72.10
    Sound - Creative Soundblas. Audigy 2 Platinum €240.88
    Motherboard - MSI 845E MAX Mainboard S478/533mhz €91.46
    CPU - Intel P4 2.5GHz €241.94
    HDD - Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB 7200RPM €138.15
    RAM - PC2700 512MB DDR CL2.5 €69.94
    CD - Sony CD recorder IDE 52x24x52x €56.00
    OS - Windows 2000 Professional OEM €181.96

Total cost of €1089.43 for parts incl VAT
    The RAM is expandable to 2GB. There are 2 USB2.0 ports, and other than the lack of firewire, this machine will kick buckets out of the one that is being offered to you. I'm also going on the assumption that there is a CD burner in the proposed system, as well.. sound recording, you cant do without it.

Only thing missing from the above list is a case and the labour which will make it probably about €1200/€1300.
    Offer him 1000 and tell him that you can get this one for this price.. Hell even print off the list and show him.

I really cant stand it when people that think they can make a quick buck selling off some 6 month old PC's, because the numbers make it look similar to current specs to the uninitiated. Hell I built myself a PC better (only slightly tho) than the spec you just listed, about 5 months ago for around 700 Euros.What you need to remember though in your case is the Live Drive, which you will need for your sound recording (inputs and outputs) will drive your system cost up by about 200 Euros, as you can see from the specs I listed, it is the most expensive part of the machine.

thanks Pimp ninja I'll look into your spec and will probably opt for that system instead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by the-raptor
    Windows 98 SE (apparantly the best OS when it comes to sound engineering)
    i doubt that somehow, you'd want at least a gig of ram if you were serious about sound engineering & 98 can't cope with that ammount.
    xp with sp1 would be a better option (better support for dual processors as well afaik)

OK thans for the info anyone else got some more tips to make my super duper kick ass word processing only machine

Chill I'm kidding I'm kidding I'll use it for e-mail too :D

Advertisement