Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aikido in Dublin?

• 16-04-2003 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone on here doing Aikido in Dublin?

I'm interested in joining a club somewhere near Fairview. I know there's a few clubs around, just wondering if anyone on here has comments.

Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

There's a club in Maynooth; that might not be appealing but it's on the Dublin bus routes (66 and 67A) and suburban train lines. It's in the university, but it's not strictly confined to students here.

My housemate goes and is a very friendly chap indeed and would be very happy to accompany you, no doubt.

PM me if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

You should try his place out ... heard great things about it!

Irish Aikido Federation Ireland Aikikai,
    1, Park Lane East,
    Pearse Street,
    Dublin 2,
    Ireland

Tel/Fax +353 (0)1 671 8454

The instructor is Mr. John Rogers, 5th Dan Shidoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hi guys,

NP, Maynooth is a bit far out despite the bus/train routes, can't be bothered with a 1 hour each way trip :) But thanks for the reply anyways.

PF - I saw this one on the web (aikido.ie), looks pretty good. What good things did you hear?

I found a few on the web, I'm interested in hearing from anyone who knows/has friends going to these places.

Thanks for the replies.
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Hey there Trojan ...

I went in to have a look around, while my mate was there!

I had a chat with John ... very decent guy!!

I was allowed to stay to watch the class & he knows his stuff & is a great teacher!!

Was going to join, but interfered with college [night classes]

When I get the all clear from the physio, I'm going to join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

just started aikido in college out in maynooth there around christmas, and i'm really enjoying it. i'm now doing it down in UL cause i'm in limerick for my co-op.

john rogers is suppose to be really brilliant, he is the highest dan in ireland in aikido and he's the head of the irish aikido federation.

so, if you want to learn aikido you'll not find a better teacher in ireland and only few in the whole of europe

• Advertisement

Hmm, sounds pretty cool. So my next question is - can a newbie just show up on one of the nights when they're doing beginners/inter or all-levels?

I might just answer this myself by calling in some evening this week.

Cheers,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Unjaku

As well as John Rogers on pearse street, there is also a dojo on Angier street (whitefriar community centre) run by Brendan Dowling of the Irish Martial Arts Comission.

I have participated in classes run by both these instructors and I would recommend Mr. Dowling above Mr. Rogers. A high dan rank is not the only criteria for being an excellent teacher and personally I feel that Brendan is more down to earth and approachable. There is a much mellower 'feel' to his classes.

I am not a student of either of these guys, and don't study aikido, so I hope my perspective is quite unbiased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I went to the Dojo on Pearse St for a while. Well 4 weeks. I was asked to go for 6 before making up my mind but the 4 was enough- I think the class was great but Pearse St is not for somebody new to martial arts (like me).

I tried a few other disciplines after and eventually took up rock-climbing :)

However, if I was to take up something it would be Aikido.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

A friend of mine called john rodgers runs a club around from pearse street he's the highgest grade in ireland {supposively}
    he's a nice guy and a good teacher .But be serious his house has katana's and cosh's from floor to sealing.and he wont except excuses
    k.

great stuff! well I'm gonna check out Aungier St 1st, and take it from there!

Will report back here in a few weeks,
    Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

how about reporting back after 2 years Trojan :p
    hehe, no Im just thinking of starting myself with one of my mates.
    any advice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭TwoKingMick

Dude you could have started a new topic, thats some serious bumpage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

aye, still on topic though, both clubs are still going strong afaik. Could use some advice though, I know relatively nothing about akido, but it certainly looks very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bellend.oToole

Trojan wrote: »
    great stuff! well I'm gonna check out Aungier St 1st, and take it from there!

Will report back here in a few weeks,
    Al.

Nice 1 on that Trojan, But thats a long 3 weeks.........

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Hi all. Can someone tell me if Aikido is easier on the back than judo? I did judo for about 3-4 months and came home with aches and pains and muscle pan in my neck. Apart from that I loved it but I had to go with my main love of karate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bellend.oToole

Yes I practice all the time its fab for your whole mind and soul it makes you become one with nature

Yes but does it leave your back almost broken the day after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi all. Can someone tell me if Aikido is easier on the back than judo? I did judo for about 3-4 months and came home with aches and pains and muscle pan in my neck. Apart from that I loved it but I had to go with my main love of karate.

Zombie threads, don't ya love 'em!.

Judo is a tough style, its full on and its rare you won't be carrying an injury, or a least a little sore & bruised. You should have stuck it out however as you get used to it.

Zombie threads??? Anyway, was just wondering about Aikido.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Zombie threads??? Anyway, was just wondering about Aikido.

'Zombie Threads' are very old, and dead threads - this is one a Zombie Thread & must die!.

There's currently an active Aikido thread HERE.

Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement