Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT Registration / Importing from outside EU

Options
  • 16-04-2003 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I was recently talking to an accountant about starting a business, and they told me that if I was importing business stock from non-EU countries then I would have to become VAT registered even if my turnover was below the VAT threshold limit for selling goods (I think it's currently Eu 38,000).

They seemed to think that the fact that goods came from outside the EU, I would have to become VAT registered.

Though surely this is not true.

If I imported business stock from a non-EU country (and my business was not VAT registered due to turnover being below threshold limit), then presumably Revenue would simply post out a bill to me for the amount of VAT required.

Am I missing something here; - or is this accountant simply wrong?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hi Claire - You might get a response to this query if you repost on Askaboutmoney.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 claire2003

thanks RainyDay.

I contacted Revenue, so I was able to get an answer there.

Thanks anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What was their response? I presume it was that if there was a material amount of stock / purchases you would have to register, otherwise customs would look after it on a transactaion by transaction basis?

Advertisement