Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happens when....

Options
  • 17-04-2003 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

ok so RADSL is being sold by 3 companies (that i am aware of) at present, eircom, eastbt and netsource (via). eircom - 4gb cap, eastbt - 5gb cap and netsouce - no cap. the contention ratio for this product is 48:1 i dont agree with download caps but with such a high contention ratio i can see why they are necessary. anyway here is my scenario (feel free to comment on how unrealistic it is but im trying my best to keep it as real as possible)

for the purpose of this say i live on a road with 48 houses, we are all sharing the same bandwith. now 35 of these houses dont have broadband the other 13 all have RADSL. 7 houses have netsource (they were all tempted by the lack of a cap) 4 have eastbt (they were tempted by the cheaper deal) and 2 have eircom (they were very confused). now i am one of those confused eircom-ies and i download lightly due to the 4gb cap, but my speed has been decreased immensly due to the netsource boys who are downloading off the internet like a good thing, which of course they are entitled to. now the street is a bit away from the exchange so we expected speeds of around 350kbs but i am only getting speeds of around 50kbs when i use the internet due to the netsource boys being constantly online.

so what happens when this scenario comes through, which i honestly believe won't take long. ive already asked this to eircom and i await a respone... oh how i wait. but in my short experience on the boards ive realised you guys usually know more so i just thought i'd through it out to you.... if i this has been covered before i apologise, i just couldn't find it anywhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

First off, I don't think eircom customers will be sharing bandwidth with esat or via customers, and vice-versa. So the problem of people with no cap using all the bandwidth isn't really an issue.

Just hope that there isn't anywhere near 48 users of the same package in your area :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

if you are on a 512K DSL connection you can't get more than 50-60K a second anyways, it's like 56K modems, you divide the speed by 10 and thats the real download rate (roughly).

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Originally posted by naitkris
    if you are on a 512K DSL connection you can't get more than 50-60K a second anyways, it's like 56K modems, you divide the speed by 10 and thats the real download rate (roughly).

the reason that you devide by "roughly" 10 is becauase there are 8bits in a byte, a 56K modem is 56kbits per second, and a 512k ADSL connection is 512kbits per second....

M$ browser quote thier download speeds durring and after completeion in KBytes per second...

thats why on a 56K modem, dowloads are about 4-5Kbytes per second (if you line qual is good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Is the only reason bb and normal modem speeds are counted in bits rather than bytes just to make them seem faster or am I being a bit cynical?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Well in the very old days terminals were connected at 110bps.
    As you can see this does not divide by eight evenly. They were hardly going to call this a speed of 13.75 bytes per second or 0.013kbytes ps were they? So I guess it's a historical thing.

davej

• Advertisement
Advertisement