Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths of 3D Graphics

Options
  • 17-04-2003 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering does anybody know any sites are anything that would explain how to programme 3D graphics? I'm interested in how to make 3D graphics from the ground up, the bare bones of 3D graphics.
    For example, if I have a way to store the co-ordinates of a 3D shape, how can I project it onto the 2D surface of the screen. How do I rotate that shape? How do I hide things that are behind other things?
    Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

have a look at the text files at programmersheaven.com, there a couple of good tutorials there on what you're looking for - try the ones that have been rated before the others. Also have a look at the gamedev.net 'Articles & Resources' there's some good stuff there. Basically learn everything you can about vectors & matrices, and take it from there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

The stuff at http://nehe.gamedev.net is GOLD.

Not that I'm great at this stuff but I was able to follow those tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

NeHe has some really great tutorials alright, but they don't really cover much 3d theory, which is what you're after from the sound of it. Actually, if you have access to a college library then it should have 'Interactive Computer Graphics: A top-down approach with OpenGL' by Edward Angel - a great book which covers both pure 3d theory as well as OpenGL, and does both very well to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

http://www.virtually.at/hugi/

The diskmag Hugi has articles covering a lot of things about graphics, beginner OpenGL tutorials and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

There are only a few areas of math that are necessary for basic 3D graphics. Vectors, Matrices, Linear Transformations (and Transformations with Matrices), and Projections. After that it's algorithms and data structures you'll need, like Z-Sorting for ascertaining what's in front of and behind a given vertex, etc.

I found this very helpful for almost all the above (the maths anyway) when I started out: 3DMath.txt. Then get a hold of some decent code to hack, to see how it works, maybe like this Cube. (It's in Java, btw.)

If I were you, I'd leave 3D alone for a wee while, and get some 2D graphics working first. Do a rotating square, then extrude into 3d.

Have fun.

Chris.

Advertisement