Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why choose €ircon DSL?

Options
  • 17-04-2003 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I don't understand it.....

Why would anyone choose to get €eircon's DSL when ESAT offer a cheaper service from the same exchanges?

It's cheaper to run per month, its cheaper to install and it has a higher cap (5gb) as far as I can see. Hopefully there will be other offerings from other suppliers in the future, but right now for DSL connectivity in residential contexts... I just don't see why ANYONE would choose €eircon??!?!

I'm specifically not ranting about the history of €eircon and why we are where we are with broadband in the country, just looking at it from an economic standpoint.

Can anyone tell me why they would choose €eircon over a cheaper / better service (at least on paper)?

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Some of the older generation are terrified of leaving eircom. They think it means selling their third child to satan. I had to talk my mother down from the trees when I mentioned I was getting broadband on her eircom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

You can order it today for one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 idnb

The IOL/ESAT Broadband package doesn't appear to have a self install option so you have to pay 190 euros plus you have to use their dsl modem and it remains the property of ESAT.

ESAT may be 5 euros cheaper a month which works out at 60 euros saved a year but by going with eircom's self-install I'm saving 100 euros. Plus I doubt I'm going to come near the 4gb a month bandwidth cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

I believe its because eircom are just holding the right to charge if you go over the cap, i don't think they're actually charging people by going over by a small amount. Where as if you even smell outside of the cap, esat will bill you straight off.

Not to mention the fact that esat screwed over so many of its no limits customers..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

eircom currently sell over a wide area of Ireland the others do not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Originally posted by c0y0te
    Why would anyone choose to get €eircon's DSL when ESAT offer a cheaper service from the same exchanges?

Not everywhere has both on offer. Eircom dsl is available in my area but ESAT is not. In that case some people would have no choice but Eircom. Of course I'd rather peal off all my skin and roll in salt than get dsl from Eircom but thats just me :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by vac
    Not to mention the fact that esat screwed over so many of its no limits customers..
    at least they had something like that when €ircon was / is still pissing on its customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Reason...
    1. No self-install from eShat/BS
    2. €ircon is available
    3. A huge degree of laziness and "enough hassle in my life
    to quibble over a difference that's the price a lager a week"
    on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The start up costs are a bit off putting, E190 with "free" modem, which happens to be a usb. So if you want an ethernet modem/router/etc....., you still have to fork out on top of that. Personally i think that is much worse than Eircom for that matter, obviously you would make this back over a long period of time but for starting up its abit of a pisser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Fair nuf. Thanks for the answers.

I understand the Esat option is available from May sometime, but I didn't realise there was no self install option.

hmm. decisions decisions....

c0y0te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Lunar superstar

Appartantly Esat are now going to look at a self install option for around e80 with modem included.They are also testing modems and are more than likely going to go with a dual one now(ethernet and usb).I was also told that interleaving is turned off.

Advertisement