Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN to Cable/DSL Upgrade

Options
  • 17-04-2003 9:15am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I have to say that it's with much stupidity that i upgraded my analogue line to ISDN last august or so - given that now everyone's gone up to DSL. Anyway, i'm just wondering how easy is it to convert from ISDN to DSL given that at the moment there isn't much difference in the rental cost. NTL are advertising cable modem service for Dublin 16 (although if i remember right there was no cable modem service for my area) so should i ditch the ISDN and get NTL given that its probably cheaper? How well do DSL and cable get on with Linux because i found when i changed from Win98 to Linux that the eircom modem was a lame duck so it had to replaced with a USR modem - i don't want a repeat of that!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

whereabouts in d 16 are you?

I have a recent enough ntl: install, and the standard modem works a treat in linux (using Mandrake 9.1 at the moment) and windows XP using the ethernet connection - I haven't tried the USB connection.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i'm in ballinteer! last i heard they'd upgraded the local cable network but as far as i know they didn't launch the service... it'd be great if they have, but why not advertise it??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If you have the option of NTL, then this is the best value option.

If you chose to go DSL, then you cannot avail of the self-install with the ISDN line, you have to go for an engineer install, and pay an extra €25 for the ISDN downgrade.

The engineer will downgrade the ISDN line to PSTN and re-test for DSL, if you still pass, you have DSL.

If the line fails the re-test, you get your isdn back nd do not pay the DSL install charge, but do pay the €25

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Balmark

Won't eircom sting you for about 100ish euro to drop it back to anologue ontop of any other charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

"Won't eircom sting you for about 100ish euro to drop it back to anologue ontop of any other charges?"

not according the the DSL "hotline", just the extra €25, plus the full "normal" install fee for DSL..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I know ntl: is available around knocklyon (where I am), but I don't think it goes any further into D16... you could just give them a ring (1800 923 005) and find out though.

Advertisement