Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Delusional Psychotic Who Supports an Irish Club and Not a British One Pleads for Un

• 17-04-2003 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

‘we’ and ‘us’ and the triupmt of West Briton in "Soudfern Eire"

Have you ever been to Old Trafford? You should go it's quite funny. The locals laugh at all the gullible Paddies on their annual pilgrimages with their big bags full of merchandise sitting in their seats an hour before kick off taking photos of empty stands. Surrounded by Japanese tourists kids who watch the match through zoom lens digital cameras and thick, red faced, big eared Culchies muck savages in GAA jerseys and Jackeen skangers waving tri-colours for 'their' beloved British team who spend the match shouting cringe inducing abuse at a linesman. The atmosphere at Dalymount park during a Dublin derby something you'd never experience at Old Trafford.

When Glen Crowe, a quality player who’s life-long dream of playing at senior level (he has already represented Ireland at underage level including the World Youth Champions where an Irish team made up of mainly LOI player nearly won the comp) for the country he was born and plays in, had been subjected to the ‘cancer in our midst’ culture among the anti-Irish west brit media and Ole’ Ole leprechaun in this country with their Liverpool and Celtic tops as an expression of their Irishness, or rather Oirishness.

Glen Crowe (and to a lesser extent the very talented Wes Hoohihan of Shelbourne) are the bogie men the SKY Sports brigade. A young lad from Dublin who wants to play for his country out of love and not increases his transfer value on the British market (god forbid!). The Ole Ole leprechauns and their media representatives such as drunk-driving scrotum faced Eamon Dunphy are agreeing with these English professionals. Many of these people were actually hoping the game becomes a nightmare for Crowe and he screws up so they could mock him. This is how utterly twisted the West Britons on this bizzare little island are. THEY ACTUALLY WANTED HIM TO FAIL!

However, my dear West Briton/Instinctual Unionists who have an emotional connecton to some British sporting institution, there is but one fact your Sky/Dream Team/Tabloid limited minds cannot deny as that is that Glen Crowe is the only Irish player on the current squad who has scored in both the Champions League and the UEFA Cup against top European sides.

So the Dream Team play Shels in the UEFA cup (TV fantasy). 12,000 people showed up to watch a soap opera club. Somebody was telling me that their girlfreind was talking to people who had tickets and they were saying things like 'should be a good match' when she pointed out to them that Heartchester United are a fictional team made up for a TV series they looked at her like she was mental. Only in Ireland could this happen. Sometimes we really do deserve the title of Thick Paddies.

It’s mostly about their stadiums, some of which are very impressive little grounds I have to say. I particularly like the Molde one above, it says the two richest guys in Norway built it for their hometown club with their own money. What do the richest guys in Ireland do? Well, they spend it on Manchester United don't they! In fairness, some of the Norwegian sides seem to have very impressive set-ups. If the Eircom league ever gets to that level I'd be very, very happy indeed.

You see deep down in the depths of a sizeable portion of the Irish population there is a Freudian desire to be English (turn back the clock 100 years, get back to the crowns coat tails, restoration of the empire , tea at eleven’s, knees-up down Camden Market etc etc) . Now they fight it daily by calling them the Auld enemy , following the GAA etc but deep down they long to be apart of the UK. Now there's no hard in that per say - its just a bit puzzling to most English people I know when they come to Ireland to see that for all our carry on we've adopted all their social habits (take a look at any high street stores - they're almost all British, our media is dominated by UK media and as for soccer? - well we only have to listen to Jim and Debs on the 98FM breakfast show banging on about how they couldn't sleep last night cos Michael Owen hurt his small toe and is doubtful for tomorrow’s big match…

That's where the whole Celtic obsession come into it - they're British (oh that's bad) - but they’re also kinda Irish - (oh that's good!!) - so the dichotomy is sort of justified in their own minds ! Don’t get me wrong, I love "purest" football and watch both the Spanish and Italian leagues among others but the fact remain that the Premiership right now is probably the most exciting league in the world - not the best as some might say. What
    I hate is the guys who shout at a TV and wouldn't watch a game if it was in their back yard. Times change as the shops will testify but I don't see anything wrong with withholding a sense of tradition whether that is where you are from or where your heritage has come from.

The tossers in this country who say they follow football, and when asked who they support invariably it's Man U, Liverpool etc... Most of them DO NOT SUPPORT ANYONE! They look out for the result every Saturday or watch them every time they appear on the TV but they aren't doing what we are doing week in, week out for our local sides. Celtic? - makes no difference still "foreign football" we're talking about. Unfortunately it's almost your duty to "support" Celtic or Rangers if you come from Ireland (depending on which cult of the Christ your parents adhered to) but I still can't get my head round the thousands of ‘Irish Nationalists’ who leave these shores every week to watch them, yet wouldn't be seen dead at a local game. To me they are as bad as the Man U/ Liverpool fans - just seeking the glory and status of supporting a "big" club. I mean has anybody watched that Scottish league - it's not much better that what we have here! Rant nearly over, nearly!

Yeah, that's another thing. How come LoE fans can consider themselves (and are considered by their peers) to be 'hardcore' if they go to one, or maybe two, games a year. Oh and buy a scarf and a jersey as well. It's the difference between being a 'supporter' of a football club and a 'fan'. That fictional TV soap club on Sky One Harchester United, had (two years back) one of the biggest selling jerseys in Ireland sums up the whole thing for me. The kids (and older people) who went along to Tolka are big fans of a massively hyped event that is on television once a week. It doesn't matter that 'Dream Team' isn't real. It's only slightly less real to them than 'The Premiership'.

For the majority of Premiership fans in ireland, they're kidding themselves if they think that their 'support' is going to make a difference when their team are 2-0 down after fifteen minutes against their bitter rivals having given a nine-point handicap to the rest of the league. Watching a team that has been part of your life for so many years come from say the 4-1 down in Santry is so much a better feeling than anything on television. Mind you, I missed that match as well. FFS, I lived in Sligo at the time and the wife was sick-but I would have went.

To condemn the National League and fault it at every chance, to justify your opinion with mad notions and wild facts is not acceptable for me anyway. Some ManUre, Pool and plastic Celtic supporters over here treat the game with contempt, and they are the very ones who shout loudest for the boys in green, and take no responsibility for their failings, that there is no system of progression, it is either off to England for a place on the national team, or stay here for a promise like Glen Crowe, if there were 3 places reserved for National League players then you would see an improvement in this league, something to work for on the pitch, something to strive for and be rewarded with a place on the national team, I know we are a long way off that, but it seems the logical step that should be taken to improve things here. You always hear of the premiereship and its supporters complaining that there are too many foreigners, but the national team place is always there if you are good enough, but it is not the case here.

It just drives me crazy though when people think you're some kind of a freak because you follow Bohs instead of say, Liverpool. And especially, when they accuse you of not being a real Irishman if you don't always want Celtic to win (even if they're playing a real Irish team!) Logic doesn't really come in to it.
    The big argument League of England lovers come up with is that the eL is 'crap' and in fairness we all know it needs improvement. But some of the same people say Serie A is boring. Let's face it, we've all seen (on a regular basis) Premiership games that are every bit as dull as the worst games that our own league can provide. The real clincher is the Champions League coverage.
    How many times have RTE/TV3 shown boring meaningless games at the end of the group stages purely because British clubs were involved, while much more important clashes involving the real top clubs in Europe have been ignored? And how many LoE fans complained about missing out on the 'good' games?

I cant stand people who just ignore the League of Ireland, considering quite a few great Irish players have graced the league you think they would be encouraged to follow it to see some of the players who will make it if for no other reason. But I also agree there is nothing like live football, so I can’t understand people sitting in a pub glancing up at Southampton V Middlesboro, when there may be a top of the table clash on down the road! But if fans do follow an English club I really don’t mind it one bit, so long as the give their support to our national league as well but that does not seem to happen.

In closing, I would like to announce that I'm a nice normal person who works and takes care of his family and pays his taxes. Honest!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You should really get off that high horse as you come accross as a complete muppet.

In closing i hope the saints beat Scum 5-0 tonight :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I remember when I used to go to the Showgrounds to watch Sligo Rovers. A lot of players were English and Scottish, still didn't stop the Xenophobia coming from parts of the ground aimed at Vaudequinn and that black winger that played for Shels.

But thats ok, isnt it ? Its the national league !!

This is getting tedious.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

I used to go to Pat's games every Friday night when I was 16-17. A few cans, decent match and of course what became the customary brawl afterwards.

I just got pissed off.

LOI needs to do something along the lines of what rugby has done since turning pro and start making the game attractive to the masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Could you just post the links to the rants that you plagiarise rather than copying and pasting them and then passing them off as your own. wonder what paper you plundered for it this time ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by Gaffo
    I used to go to Pat's games every Friday night when I was 16-17. A few cans, decent match and of course what became the customary brawl afterwards.

I just got pissed off.

And i for one am quite happy you dont go anymore :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭anarchy

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Could you just post the links to the rants that you plagiarise rather than copying and pasting them and then passing them off as your own. wonder what paper you plundered for it this time ???

Practice what you preach man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

WTF are ya talking about ??

Just a quick reference to a post would be handy rather than saying something and not backing it up.

The reason I have mentioned it to Sligoliner is because he has been caught out at this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

:rolleyes: In future post the link and stop taking credit for someone else's work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

boring now sligoliner........yesterday it had a novelty effect to slag you off. now it's just drivel.

cmon man yoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thread closed as I've seen all this before and it is obviously a cut and paste job.

sligoliner if you want to have a discussion about Irish Football no problems, if you want to have a trolling confrontation with other members, big problem.

If you post up another cut and paste job like this I will ban you :)

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement