Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Cable Connection

Options
  • 17-04-2003 2:13pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to connect a laptop with win98 to my PC thats running win2k. I does not want to connect. Can anyone talk me through what exactly I have to set.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Most of the trickery of setting up a DCC is in the TCP/IP options in control panel>network.
    It's been so long since I've had to set one up - I've forgotten the finer points of it :/

There's some good guides out there if you google for them.
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=how+to+setup+a+direct+cable+connection&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=
    ^^ Take your pick...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

When you say it does not want to connect, what exactly are you seeing - do you get as far as the password?

Are you using a Null modem cable or a cross over network cable?

Have you file and printer sharing enabled in Control Panel?

It would be easier if you gave us your setup and what you have done so far and we can take it from there.

TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Network Settings In Control Panel -> Double Click TCP/IP of your card. Set ip to 192.168.168.2 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Enable File/Print Sharing. Make sure its Client for MS Networks. Click Identification. Type the PC name as PC1 and the Workgroup as MSHOME

Second PC. Do the same only Ip this time 192.168.168.3 and the PC name PC2

Have a cross over cable between both if you don't have a switch/hub

Try that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

open up your pc and make sure your network card is in a Pci slot. Then close up your computer, unplug it and throw it out a window. That should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

:rolleyes: :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement