Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite DSL

Options
  • 17-04-2003 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Anyone out there know of a reputable company doing satellite DSL.

I live in a bog hole that wont have ADSL for about 90 years.

Preferably a company with their own HUB that has been established for a while.

Please save me from my 56K HELL :ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

http://www.aramiska.com :) Had them since August and performance has been as advertised and there's never been any major downtime either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 PacO

Ta very much Bkehoe.

I should prob have mentioned that I want this for personal use.:rolleyes:

price of 3200STG for set up is a little outside my budget.

Would be cheaper to move house to Dublin.:)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

www.netsystem.com

I have had them for a year Its one way so you still need modem to connect but get nice download speeds. Sat is no good for games and not the best for P2P sharing either. But if you just want to download fast its great.

For more info do a search on boards for netsystem and also try www.broadbandsatellite.co.uk

Aramiska dont charge a setup fee if you use the rental option - you wont get good fast 2 way satellite for nothing due to the costs involved. Netsystem is 1 way (requires a modem/isdn for upload) and has a 6GB monthly limit on the 24/7 package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Patsion

PacO,
    You might want to go take a look at SatDrive. http://www.satdrive.co.uk

I have been using it now for 4 months and it rocks.

It the only option I will have for quite some time, due to location.

It costs £15.00 Stg. p.m.

Go take a look at it and see.
    If you require any other info on it, message me and we'll talk.

Pat

• Advertisement

I have had a few people PM me about speed's etc.
    All I can is take a look at the image below.

SatDrive.
    It does What it Say's on the Tin
    For me & at £15.00 Stg p.m.

Pat

satdrive_speed.jpg

This was at 23:30

Patsion, not bad ... in fact damn fast... BUT... i see you are downloading 700mb, i assume its a movie.. anyway the service appears capped to 1gb for the price you pay.. after that its 3p/mb so its not as nice as it seems... Still not bad.. but 1gb is way too low.. 1 movie or Linux ISO and a few downloads per month for your money and then you pay extra..
    Netsystem is not as fast but at least there is no cap.. well there was not when i signed up. I just checked and the low package is also 1gb.. ah well... maybe Satdrive are better after all! Then again i would not spend long enough onine to go over 1gb since i would also have to use a phone line and pay for that.. Im going ADSL asap.

It's NOT capped in any way to a 1 Down Load Gb per month.

It is only 3p if you choose to give it a real boost and use the Gears.

Gear 1 is all included in the standard per month, with no capp on the amount you D/L in a month.

Pat

Patison are you sure? Their website says otherwise.. unless its worded so badly to make it seem so. Anyway others car read and see it they can make it out. One bit says unlimited and then it mentions after 1gb you are stuck on priority 2 and charged more money... hang on.. i think i get it now though.. the priority level is to do with bandwith so no cap on crappy prioroty 1 then.. but if you want more bandwith then you can pay extra?

What priority are you using?

Software only package: (for customers who already have a dish and a DVB PCI card)

£149 inc VAT includes SatDrive CD and first months service fee with unlimited use of priority level 1 for fast browsing and light downloading

Standard Monthly service fee:

£14.99 inc VAT per month including unlimited use of priority level 1 for fast browsing and light downloading

SATDRIVE 1000 monthly service fee:

£34.99 inc VAT per month provides high downloading speeds in priority level 2 and 3 for the first GigaByte of data. Once the Gigabyte has been used you are then put onto the standard monthly fee service until the following month. Ideal for small business use or LAN configurations

Monthly usage fee for high speed downloading:

SatDrive provides up to 4 Mbit bandwidth on the satellite transponder. Using a unique bandwidth management programme customers can prioritise bandwidth for individual download sessions. The higher priority level selected for a download the more bandwidth becomes available to achieve speeds of over 800Kbps. Speeds will vary depending on the number of users online and the location of the content being downloaded.

For every Mega Byte of data downloaded in priority levels 2 to 6 an additional charge will be made see below for costs

Satdrive also have a new policy on gear1 - put any big downloads going and you get throttled, as they say gear1 is only for browsing and light downloiading.

• Advertisement

bkehoe

Yea over 20 meg are sometimes slowed on Gear 1 but you can live with it most of the time.
    Set big one's for overnight that's what I do.

Saruman

You ask what Gear I used well it was Gear 1 & I seldom, in fact never go up in the Gears now.

You also speak of "crappy priority 1"
    I have to ask have you used it?

All I can say it works for me and for the price £15.00 stg what do you want.

If a man has no food and is starving he will not turn his nose up at some stale bread.

Pat

Advertisement