Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redneck rant

Options
  • 17-04-2003 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Found this on a politics site, didn't know whether to laugh or cry :p

It's only partially tongue in cheek.
    Here goes:

Bet you'll stand up and say, "HELL YEAH!" after ya read this. If the man/woman who wrote this ran for PRESIDENT I would VOTE for him/her.

I like big cars, big boats, big motorcycles, big houses and big campfires. I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not some governmental stooge with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts for squirting out babies.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, that is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion. I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or
    Miss White America and see what happens. Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.

I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off. When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling, it is the law of statistics.

I know what sex is, and there are not varying degrees of it. If I received sex from one of my subordinates in my office, it wouldn't be a private matter or my personal business. I would be "FIRED" immediately!

I believe that if you are selling me a milk shake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen you should have to speak English!. My father and grandfather should not have died in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours. I think the
    police should have every right to shoot your sorry ass if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the above lines.

I feel much safer letting a machine with no political affiliation recount votes when needed. I know what the definition of lying is.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document and open to their interpretations. It's not, at all....ever! Go home.

I don't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor. I know wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television, and that doesn't stop you from watching them. I believe a self-righteous liberal or conservative with a cause is more dangerous than a Hell's Angel with an attitude.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better and put your name on the building. Ask your buddy that invented the Internet to help you.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid and smack their little 'ass' when necessary and say "NO."

"I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And Please stay home until that new lip ring heals, I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me french fries!

I am sick of "Political Correctness" and of all the suck ups that go along with it. I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa, so how can they be "African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe.

I am proud to be from America and nowhere else. And if you don't like my point of view, tough ****, leave the country!

Hell Yeah!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Hells_Fury

WOO HOO !!! ( APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! ) Spoken as it should be !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

please excuse me while I go and recover from the aneurism that this utter drivel caused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I was told by my dear old Dad (R.I.P.) that in America of old, "Redneck" and "Mackerel Snapper" were names for the Irish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Yee-ha, and God bless Robert E. Lee. :)

• Advertisement

In America , the term Redneck is used to describe those "good ol' southern boys" , ya know ...... the hicks , hillbilly, backwoods , cowboys types ..... basically because they like to wear their hair short and they tend to get sunburned on the back of their necks .... therefore giving them the name "redneck" .

If'n yourn a redneck , than yourn fromt the south .

Oh hell ..... it's easier to speak than type. If we were speaking I could go ALLLLLLL southern belle redneck fer ya' , bat my purty little blue eyes at ya' and start talkin' all hickish ,...... and you'd be sittin' thar scratchin' yer 'ead goin' whaaaaaaaaaaat ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can find little to disagree with...! :D

In fact maybe nothing at all. Thats not being a redneck, (they can't type) its telling it like it is.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

My Dad must have known the redneck-as-Irish term from the 1920s or the 1930s, so maybe it had a wider meaning then in America. I did a little search and found this on a site of a professor of English in an American university:

from "Merseytalk"

"redneck: Catholic term for a Protestant
    Source: GTH
    Redneck: a Catholic
    Source: LS2
    Obviously, it depends who is talking."

http://www.louisville.edu/~tavan001/MerseytalkR.html

Sources:
    "GTH: A Game of Two Halves, Brian , by Fritz Spiegl
    Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1996"

"LSII: Lern Yerself Scouse, or--the ABZ of Scouse, by Linacre Lane, B.Sc.(Bachelor of Scouse). The second volume of a Three-Part Cacology on How to Talk Proper on Merseyside, edited and annotated by Fritz Spiegl. Liverpool: Scouse Press, 1966"

http://www.louisville.edu/~tavan001/Merseytalk.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭xm15e3

Originally posted by Hells_Fury
    In America , the term Redneck is used to describe those "good ol' southern boys" , ya know ...... the hicks , hillbilly, backwoods , cowboys types ..... basically because they like to wear their hair short and they tend to get sunburned on the back of their necks .... therefore giving them the name "redneck" .
    The term "Redneck" was originally applied to rural labor. Farmers for the most part. ie, Sunburned necks.

They don't have to be, and most aren't from the South. The South is often maligned by the North unfairly, the truth is Southerners are as a group better mannered, better dressed, and more formal then their Northern counterparts. They make us West Coast Yankies look slovenly. Most Southern men wear crew cuts and collared shirts (tucked in and pressed). These types are not true rednecks.

Rednecks tend of have long hair (or those God forsaken mullets), cut off jeans, flannel shirts, rifle racks (with rifle) and chain saws in their pickups, and insist their dogs are not allowed to be pets.. that would ruin them for hunting'. Rednecks are not always ignorant or white trash.. Good examples of Rednecks are Ted Nugent, The Georgia Satellites, or "Lawrence" from Office Space. Some are actually very good people and play well with other races.

American TV (Hollywierd) is very biased against The South and tends to market a negative perception of Rednecks..and apply that image to the entire South.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We've all seen Deliverance not to mention the Dukes of Hazzard! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    I like big cars...
    See, now I have to read the entire piece to the tune of "Baby Got Back". No fair.
    Originally posted by mike65
    We've all seen ... the Dukes of Hazzard!
    Oh Daisy!

adam

Famous last words of a Redneck:

"Hey, ever body...Wach This!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Id vote for that lad as well :)

not some governmental stooge with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts for squirting out babies

For those of you who have a modicum of intelligence, you know what Social Welfare is really about right?
    Guns do not make you a killer

They give the greatest opportunity - you have to really want someone dead to beat them repeatedly up close with a basball bat but it is not so hard to shoot someone with an automatic assault rifle.
    I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong,

Whooopdy do. I don't engage in it myself but the point is that you can disagree with it but kindly not take it out on every homosexual you come across not that I think he would do that with a quote like this
    I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird
    The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.
    Of course he ignores that these were to balance up the Status Quo rather than give black people an advantage.
    As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen you should have to speak English!.
    Why? Because a couple of hundred thousand white guys took it over from the original inhabitants, half killing them all in the process and they spoke English? Yeah good reason. Or maybe because most of these sort of people are too stupid or lazy to learn a foreign language.
    I feel much safer letting a machine with no political affiliation recount votes when needed. I know what the definition of lying is.
    Does he know the meaning of 'the machines can be rigged' do you think?
    We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms...
    I laughed very hard at the last part
    ....so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document and open to their interpretations. It's not, at all....ever! Go home.
    It is their right to tell you what they want no? It is your right whether or not to heed them.
    It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid and smack their little 'ass' when necessary and say "NO."
    What crap. Having had experiences with a near psychotic parent, the village being there to flee to might have helped. As it turned out, parent didn't smack my little ass, she tried beating me severely with a metal belt buckle.
    I am sick of "Political Correctness" and of all the suck ups that go along with it. I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa, so how can they be "African-Americans"?
    If that is what they want to be called then you respect that since they are people and they are entitled to that respect. If WASP's suddenly want to be called Euro- or Anglo- American, we'd be obliged to respect that.
    I am proud to be from America and nowhere else. And if you don't like my point of view, tough ****, leave the country!
    Well that says it all; if you aren't some wannabe macho anti-diplomacy warmongering blind republican moron, please leave the country. Free speech is obviously a concept synonymous with Totalitarian Regime for this guy.

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan

Of course he ignores that these were to balance up the Status Quo rather than give black people an advantage.

Why? Because a couple of hundred thousand white guys took it over from the original inhabitants, half killing them all in the process and they spoke English? Yeah good reason. Or maybe because most of these sort of people are too stupid or lazy to learn a foreign language.

What crap. Having had experiences with a near psychotic parent, the village being there to flee to might have helped. As it turned out, parent didn't smack my little ass, she tried beating me severely with a metal belt buckle.

Well that says it all; if you aren't some wannabe macho anti-diplomacy warmongering blind republican moron, please leave the country. Free speech is obviously a concept synonymous with Totalitarian Regime for this guy.

Well I had two Grannies each had their own way of saying the same thing. The first one would always say ..... "he how lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones" , the second would quote the bible " Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" Seems like Éomer of Rohan is a saintly sort of person since he likes to throw stones in glass houses and is without sin :D

Might also interest you to know that the Status QUO in America is SO in favor of the "minority" that the "majority" is severly discriminated against. Have you stopped to add up ALL the minorities to see if they STAYED the minority and added all the benefits they recieve in order to assure yourself that majority isn't severly discriminated against ?

And your also saying that if YOU were to go to another country , say China or France then THEY should speak YOUR language instead of YOU have the common deceancy to learn the language of the country you are in.

There is also a difference in disciplining a child and ABUSING a child. I'm sincerely sorry that your mother chose to abuse you. No child should have to suffer that. But discipline also has it's purpose. A swat on the bottom could easily teach a child to give a quick response in an emergency situation that would save it certain death . Such as NO! DON'T TOUCH ! or STOP ! Don't touch ... a boiling hot pot of liquid or a broken piece of glass or a broken electrical line. STOP! to keep them from running in front of an oncoming car. Many parents tend to "talk their child to death" and not follow up with the threatened priviledge withdrawal. In results the child does not learn to respect the parents or anyone elses authority and does whatever it well pleases, including rape , theft and murder when it matures because it has not learned respect for others. By the time these "children" GETS to the village than they are of no use to society. But as I said ABUSE has no purpose and should not be inflicted on ANYONE , child or adult. The ones that inflict abuse should be severly punished for it.

Before you start calling people "wannabe macho anti-diplomacy warmongering blind republican moron" in a country where "Free speech is obviously a concept synonymous with Totalitarian Regime" I suggest that you take the time to get to know the country and the people instead of listening to incomplete stories of the press or what someone told someone that told someone that told someone's cousin. I think you would be very ashamed of yourself if you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Originally posted by Hells_Fury
    I thought rednecks were all supposed to have mullets?

Besides, isn't redneck a racist form of abuse?

Well I had two Grannies each had their own way of saying the same thing. The first one would always say ..... "he how lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones" , the second would quote the bible " Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" Seems like Éomer of Rohan is a saintly sort of person since he likes to throw stones in glass houses and is without sin

Having serious problems with religion, I get lost with references from the greatest fiction in History so do elaborate.
    Might also interest you to know that the Status QUO in America is SO in favor of the "minority" that the "majority" is severly discriminated against. Have you stopped to add up ALL the minorities to see if they STAYED the minority and added all the benefits they recieve in order to assure yourself that majority isn't severly discriminated against ?

Examples....?
    There is also a difference in disciplining a child and ABUSING a child. I'm sincerely sorry that your mother chose to abuse you. No child should have to suffer that. But discipline also has it's purpose. A swat on the bottom could easily teach a child to give a quick response in an emergency situation that would save it certain death . Such as NO! DON'T TOUCH ! or STOP ! Don't touch ... a boiling hot pot of liquid or a broken piece of glass or a broken electrical line. STOP! to keep them from running in front of an oncoming car. Many parents tend to "talk their child to death" and not follow up with the threatened priviledge withdrawal. In results the child does not learn to respect the parents or anyone elses authority and does whatever it well pleases, including rape , theft and murder when it matures because it has not learned respect for others. By the time these "children" GETS to the village than they are of no use to society. But as I said ABUSE has no purpose and should not be inflicted on ANYONE , child or adult. The ones that inflict abuse should be severly punished for it.
    Read up on the Russian Behavioural Scientist Pavlov - he could train dogs to d what he wanted at the blow of a whistle and humans are much more intelligent than dogs. Withdrawal of priveleges sounds like a very middle class sort of punishment I have to say - have you ever thought about grounding or making them do housework getting more and more severe for each transgression? As a result of personal experience, no family SHOULD EVER be like a dictatorship where the parents have the right to deal with the kid how they choose and one of the worst offences is beating, hence why there should be very severe laws against it because it does far more harm than good.

Having serious problems with religion, I get lost with references from the greatest fiction in History so do elaborate.

Examples....?

Read up on the Russian Behavioural Scientist Pavlov - he could train dogs to d what he wanted at the blow of a whistle and humans are much more intelligent than dogs. Withdrawal of priveleges sounds like a very middle class sort of punishment I have to say - have you ever thought about grounding or making them do housework getting more and more severe for each transgression? As a result of personal experience, no family SHOULD EVER be like a dictatorship where the parents have the right to deal with the kid how they choose and one of the worst offences is beating, hence why there should be very severe laws against it because it does far more harm than good.

Well I'm not a great fan of church goers either I can't qoute the bible directly to you. Basically the sentiment is ... ONLY if you are so perfect a human should you then be allowed to judge others. Humans are an imperfect species we all make mistakes and I suspect that you do even yourself . Point in fact you are judging a whole country of people by the actions of the "person in power" . From what I recall he was NOT voted into office unamiously. But since he was voted into office then the people can only make the best of the situation at hand until the next election when they can then remove him from office. From what I can tell he has not done anything that would give the people the right to impeach him which would be the only other way of removing him from office barring assination.

Examples - You are only mentioning the "Blacks" or African Americans as they preferred to be called as the minorities. When in fact there are several GROUPS of minorities in America each claiming that they should recieve special priviledges .... who are they ... Mexicans , Asians ( can be subdivided even further - chinese , vietnamese , koreans ...... ) , Cubans, Porta Ricans ( never EVER confuse them with Cubans it is a MAJOR insult in their eyes ) and I'm sure I am forgetting many others.

Once again I stress that NO ONE should ever suffer from ABUSE. Apparently that is what you have survived and what you are basing alot of your sentiment on. I am well aware of Pavlov and his dogs . He "trained" them to work for food and if they failed to "preform" then they were not feed .... even worse they were subjected to a punishment if their transgressions were severe enough. Have you ever stop to think that these dogs were also kept in cages/ pens until it was time for them to "learn" their behavior patterns? Are you then suggesting if a child fails to mind that the parents should fail to feed them ?? Or even worse yet that they should be kept in cages or pens until they learn the appropriate behavior needed to interact with society ? That would be considered abuse also in the minds of most people and definitely in mine ! Housework should be a mandatory chore for a child and so should helping with lawn care. Why should the mother be deligated to pick up and clean up after every member in the household. It doesn't hurt for others to help. A child should be able to clean his own room , pick up his clothes and put them in the dirty clothes bin , help with washing in dishes , vaccuming the floors or even helping to prepare a meal. Giving housework as a punishment when it should be done regardless isn't much of a punishment. More removal of videos games , radios , TV priviledges , social interaction with friends is more of a removal of priviledges , but at times can take days or even months to get your point across. . Again I do NOT condone the abuse of a child !! HOWEVER A SWAT ( that's just one and not multiple ) on the butt of a young child to emphasize a point impressing on their young mind that what they were doing was a serious offense. It is to teach them quickly and intensely that touching something harmful or running in front of something dangerous is a major NO NO . Better a swat on the ass than a dead child wouldn't you agree ?? That is FAR from BEATING a child with the metal end of a belt buckle !! My own mother use to beat me with the wire end of a fly swat , not only that she was into mental games ( she was always going to run away from home and it was all us kids fault - we were the reason she was unhappy with her life and she let us know it ). But I managed to grow up a stable human being or so I had thought. You are confusing a simple swat on the butt with the severe beating that you recieved from an abusive mother. That should never happen to a child , would that I could change it for you I would .

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion . I'm not saying that you are totally wrong .... but you are not totally right either. I know that I am not totally right and would never claim to be. I would hate to be the "perfect person"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

After reading through Eomar's initial reply, I was going to suggest that a reply wasn't needed, as nobody was actually going to take the guy seriously. but then along came somebody who did. oh dear. the points he brings up (re homosexuals, minorities, etc) are really just due to ignorance, and there's not much debate you can have with someone like that. they've got their principles, and we've got ours, i guess.

why do you have such problems with religion, eomar, btw?

Well Sanvan, this is a politics forum so I will not disseminate to religion as it is mentioned here only in order to clarify a point someone was making.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon

LOL ... it might be considered so by some , but you've no idea how many are PROUD to be a redneck :D And no most rednecks are clean cut ( short hair , clean shaven ) . They are just a bit different from those northern Yankees , and dang sure aint lookin' to get any more like them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by sanvean:

After reading through Eomar's initial reply, I was going to suggest that a reply wasn't needed, as nobody was actually going to take the guy seriously. but then along came somebody who did. oh dear. the points he brings up (re homosexuals, minorities, etc) are really just due to ignorance, and there's not much debate you can have with someone like that. they've got their principles, and we've got ours, i guess.
    Really? On what basis do you make the assertion that his principles are founded on ignorance? You have made no attempt to debunk his assertions, neither have you offered any conclusive reasons as to why you think he is ignorant, instead pointing towards his views about the treatment of minorities, and you have not even explained your own position on the matter.

If you thinks his points are based on ignorance, then please enlighten us as to how this is the case. Accusing a member of boards of making broad generalisations based on ignorance, and then (appearing) to do the same smacks of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Damn swiss is getting good at that formalspeek ;)

jc

Originally posted by swiss
    Really? On what basis do you make the assertion that his principles are founded on ignorance? You have made no attempt to debunk his assertions

i didn't offer to discuss the original post or reply because eomar discussed it and pretty much said what i would've said - although i failed to say this in my post. as for his principles being based on ignorance, primarily the remarks about homosexuality (which tend to be based - to a large extent - on judeo-christian notions of sin and morality. not that this immediately debunks said morals, but there is a need to look at the reasons as to why homosexuality was so vilified in the bible, and then see whether these same criteria apply to today) and also the remarks about how 70% of people who are arrested in america are black or from other minorities. firstly, a link to how these figures are obtained would be nice, as well as at least an acknowledgement of social and historical factors as having at least an influence in supposed high figures. failure to look at the reasons behind crime etc, beyond aspects of race, is ignorance.

as for bringing up religion: it's not necessarily removed from politics ... especially the bible, although i guess it's more historical, and definately off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Am I over-reacting? Rather than just slag this guy, I decided to address the points.
    I like big cars, big boats, big motorcycles, big houses and big campfires. I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not some governmental stooge with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts for squirting out babies.
    The money is to look after the baby, not the crack addict. If you have so much that you can have "like big cars, big boats, big motorcycles, big houses and big campfires", do you begrudge that baby a regular diet?
    Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.
    Ah, but guns make it so easy to kill. You can't bring your 18-foot SUV into the bedroom when you catch your wife with someone else, or sneak said SUV into the bank / airport under your jacket.
    I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, that is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts!
    So who would join the cub scouts and the sea scouts? In an era when it is difficult to get people involved in community activities, artificial barriers need to be broken down. Single sex school amalgamate, why not other organizations? And it is fair enough to allow boys to form a bond in an organized fashion, but what about letting all children do so? From age 7 to 20 there were no girls in my school / college classes, 12 boys to 3 girls on my street. Where are young teenagers meant to learn to meet, know and respect each other if not in a community setting?
    I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.
    It is one thing to believe it is wrong, it is another to hate or abuse people for it.
    I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund,
    Would this be designed to rectify the legacy of past discrimination? That most "white" people, directly or indirectly benefited from, to the detriment of non-white people? Discrimination to rectify past discrimination is permissible.
    Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.
    Let me guess these target niche markets, like men's and women's magazines do or the way "Friends" has had very few non-white characters (but makes a feature of it's WASPs).
    Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America and see what happens. Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.
    Well if you really want, why not set up a Mister Redneck America? Where you can compare nail polish, hairstyles, dresses and the like? It's OK, I won't hate you for wanting to look like a pretty 19-year old. I'm sure it will go down great with the boys back home. :p
    I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off. When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling, it is the law of statistics.
    However you have to ask the question when half your (very large) prison population comes from a minority of the population. It is one thing to be not tolerant, another to be abusive(but please tell me how your two sentences marry). And while you have the right to be not tolerant to them, they have the same right back. What happens when you travel elsewhere and they have different rules, will you insist on absolutely sticking to your normal behavior? Will you absolutely follow the norms of the locals? Or will you try to strike a happy balance? Respect breeds respect.
    I know what sex is, and there are not varying degrees of it. If I received sex from one of my subordinates in my office, it wouldn't be a private matter or my personal business. I would be "FIRED" immediately!
    Perhaps this is a reference to Clinton? This is why he used a private office (and the stationary cupboard I believe ;)), where he was the boss, not a cubicle in a room with 100 other people. The only thing Clinton did wrong was lie to a judge who was engaged in a politicized investigation.
    I believe that if you are selling me a milk shake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English!
    But what about ethnic restaurants? What about the large numbers of immigrants working in low paid jobs that keep the American economy going and your purchases cheap? Oh, and wait till you get to say, rural China, then …. (guess what there may be no English speakers for miles).
    As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen you should have to speak English!.
    What? Speak English, not American? ;) Indeed I understand you do need to be able to speak English if you want to be a naturalized American citizen, but not everyone wants to be one. What if you are born an American citizen, but are a native-born Spanish, French or American Indian language speaker? Would you force English (a European language after all)on them?. Oh yes, please note that the USA advertises itself to immigrants as the country where "anyone can become president", but omits that those immigrants can’t.
    My father and grandfather should not have died in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.
    What are you on about?
    I think the police should have every right to shoot your sorry ass if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can’t understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the above lines.
    What is it about "cop" shows where police shout "freeze" – what is wrong with "stop", a much more understandable word. If the officer feels that life is in jeopardy (or similar) then there might be reason to shoot, otherwise it is overreacting.
    But I feel uneasy about a machine that has no verification system and let me see computers never break down or get hacked do they?
    I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.
    I can't really comment, perhaps by engaging with foreign businesses, your government wants to grow your economy, just as countries do the world over.
    We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document and open to their interpretations. It's not, at all....ever! Go home.
    I'm not sure what this refers to, but everything is open to interpretation, especially your constitution by the American Supreme Court. Remember the AK47 wasn't in mind when the American constitution was changed to allow people to bear arms.
    I don't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor. I know wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television, and that doesn't stop you from watching them. I believe a self-righteous liberal or conservative with a cause is more dangerous than a Hell's Angel with an attitude.
    Would you be the former or latter?
    I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more.
    And every bank robber should keep all the money he ingeniously stole, using his patented method. If he broke the law, he should not benefit at other's expense from that. Oh, by the way Bill Gates is trying to get rid of some of his money.
    So you would have all children permanently kept home then? No parent can teach a child everything, especially not the bad lessons in life.
    "I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And Please stay home until that new lip ring heals, I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me french fries!
    So you are now defining other people's political beliefs for them and condemning youngsters for having their own opinions. What next a crack down on mini-skirts? And shame on you for buying french fries!!!! ;)
    I am sick of "Political Correctness" and of all the suck ups that go along with it. I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa, so how can they be "African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe.
    But most "black" people are from Africa. When people claim to be "African-Americans", they are looking for ownership of their ancestry, which was stolen from many of them when their ancestors were made slaves (who disproportionately helped build up the USA).They lost family names, family history, traditions and culture. Unlike, say Irish-Americans (a much abused term), they can't claim to have say Senegalese or Zairian or Hutu or Zulu ancestry, most of them can only claim African-American ancestry.
    Fair enough, I won't spend my tourist and trade dollars with you then.

Originally posted by Victor
    the way "Friends" has had very few non-white characters (but makes a feature of it's WASPs).

and and the only character with any sort of 'ethnic' associations is joey, a latin-american. guess who is portrayed as (loveably) dumb, and has to rely on numerous occasions on his WASP friend, chandler for money, advice etc etc.

victor's argument against the 'freeze' instructions by 'cops' reminded me of the american soldiers in iraq, ordering iraqis to 'STAY BACK!!' repeatedly before firing into their car. this was shown on sky as a news piece along the lines of 'well, look, for all their mistakes, they are giving them warnings' ... but you'd wonder how much of an expense it would be to get american soldiers who actually speak arabic (or kurdish).

[/QUOTE]

Redneck is a lifestyle that transcends all racial barriers. I think Mullets are optional, dogs aren't.

Originally posted by xm15e3

Redneck is a lifestyle that transcends all racial barriers. I think Mullets are optional, dogs aren't. [/QUOTE]

That pretty much nails it ..... dogs , guns and 4 wheel drive pickup trucks ;) Of course they also have those cuties with the big breast and daisy dukes ( cutoff jean shorts) ;)

Can I make the point that Victor said almost exactly what I said at most points in that effective dissemination but yet no polemical attack of no substance has been made on him by a certain poster? Interesting.

• Advertisement

Can I make the point that Victor said almost exactly what I said at most points in that effective dissemination but yet no polemical attack of no substance has been made on him by a certain poster? Interesting.

Maybe having said it once it should suffice. Sometimes it's better to let an issue drop than to keep arguing about it. Personally I've said my peace and bowed out of the whole issue , I prefer to spend my time having fun , than snapping and snarling over something that I have little to no control over . You either like America/Americans or you don't like America/Americans , everyone is entitled to thier opinions. I seriously doubt if anyone is going to change your mind on it. However if you were enjoying the battle ...........(wicked grin) I'm sure I could find something to twist your tail about ;)

Advertisement