Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an upload cap?

Options
  • 17-04-2003 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

As everyone is talking about the download caps for DSL from Eircom and EsatBT, I would like to know if there is an upload cap also? It is interesting to see what Eircom and EsatBT have to say for that as I know a person who wants to run a web server via DSL (hence little downloading and LOTS of uploading).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No limit on uploading but in the T and C its forbidden to run a web server (or server of any sort).
    Dunno about VIA but Eircom and Esat forbid running servers (cos then they liable for content and its a of hassle and work and stuff).

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

AFAIK...

If you want to run a webserver etc using an ADSL product, with eircom you have to get the 200 bucks/month version.. they'll give you static IP's and what not to run these sorts of "business" services...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

I would presume that the TCP ACKnowledgments for the data uploaded would count as downstream traffic.

I don't know how long it would take to build up several GB's of them. Depends on what you're hosting i suppose :)

nagero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Originally posted by nagero
    I would presume that the TCP ACKnowledgments for the data uploaded would count as downstream traffic.

yes this is true.

ok, i have a hypothetical question considering that using the budget DSL as a server is against the agreement apparently. my question is:

if someone was to upload manually (NOT AS A WEB SERVER OR ANY OTHER SORT!) to a number of people a large amount of data would there not be a cap to limit this sort of thing? for example at 256K upload speeds, someone uploading constantly would be able to upload 64.8GB in a month if they were to upload non-stop on a 512/256K DSL connection. surely Esat and Eircom would do something even if it were a very tiny minority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If you look really closely at the charges for going over the cap on eircoms site, it clearly says data transfered, so yes uploads and downloads are part of the cap. That said i don't think anyone anywhere has been charged as yet for going over the cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Boston
    If you look really closely at the charges for going over the cap on eircoms site, it clearly says data transfered, so yes uploads and downloads are part of the cap. That said i don't think anyone anywhere has been charged as yet for going over the cap.

Where does it say that?

from adsl.ie:

* The monthly fee covers charges for transporting traffic across the Internet within specified monthly limits (download allowance). This excludes fees that may be applied to access sites or additional services eircom may seek to charge for in the future. eircom reserves the right to apply a charge of 3 cent ex. VAT per Megabyte for downloads in excess of specified limits (see individual products for details). The regular monthly telephone line rental and voice charges apply.

There's no cap/allowance for uploads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

thats the new service, and has been rephased to make it more understandable to lay people. it used to be "information transferred over the internet" with no mention of uploads or downloads when i was first offered it. Didn't i have the conversation with you before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Yes, we did have this conversation before, and like the last time, you still haven't pointed out where this is being said exactly.
    The only references to data transfer on that site is for download allowances.

Edit: Sorry, missed this bit when I replied first:
    it used to be "information transferred over the internet" with no mention of uploads or downloads when i was first offered it
    That site's been updated recently, so they must have changed it then or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I do not think Eircon should be allowed to impose any data transfer cap without providing an easy way to check how much data transfer you have left for the month on your account, for instance via their web site.

Otherwise, it's hit and miss, or you have to install your own software which might report different usage than Eircon's own database. Honestly I can not see why they are allowed to do this.

Advertisement