Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasmus

Options
  • 17-04-2003 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has ever gone on Erasmus and what did you think of it?

And has anyone spent it in 2 different uni's?

Merci beaucoup, as they say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Salut dv!
    I spent a year in France as as ERASMUS student (in one uni only though). It was one of the best years of my life, I met ppl from all over the world and became fluent in French.
    It's also a good break before the final year - you get to pick any course you're interested in and because you're an ERASMUS, many of the lecturers allow you to write essays to get your grade for the course instead of sitting exams. You should definitely give it a go if you have the opportunity!
    Shouldn't be that difficult to go to 2 different unis as the college year is semesterized in most European countries, your college should help you with registration etc.

Hope this is helpful!
    simu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

Hey simu, thanks for replying.

Spending one semester is obligatory for my course but I've been thinking about spending a second semester abroad aswell.

Becoming fluent in french would definately be reason enough to go. To be honest, I kind of can't wait..

Anyway, thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

Im going into second year arts and am studying german, today i was told that the department insists you go to german for a year, even if you dont want to. Anyone know if this is true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

I know that in UL alot of the language students have to spend one semester on Erasmus (unless they get some sort of exemption) and are "strongly advised" to spend coop abroad aswell.

I'm sure it's the same in plenty of other colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I would have liked to do Erasmus but i left it too late. I'm doing second year exams now and we have 3rd year work experience. If i had the chance i'd definitely do it. Anyone I've spoken to whose done it really liked it and benefited from it. There was some hairy stories but they are few and far between. Research where your going before you commit to it.

I'm going to LA on my work experience next year so that kind of made up for it :p .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I'm a Leaving Cert student... yay :p

Anyway, I'm thinking about courses that include an Erasmus yr.. like law & french etc..... Just wondering if the year away is sort of seen as an extra edge to your degree....? I mean do employers look for it etc...?

thnks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

well, it shows you're not afraid of trying new things, you must be adaptable, confident and more open-minded after having lived in a different culture ... that's what they always say in those career brochures they give us in college but, having done Erasmus myself, I agree.

If you need to use your language for your job, it shows you probably have a pretty good grasp of it, having been immersed in it for a year/6 months ... I know ppl who did degrees in French, never went to a french speaking country and they'd have trouble ordering a cup of coffee in the language. If you go abroad, you pick up loads of everyday phrases automatically, even if you've never killed yourself learning off grammar & vocab.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I spent my co-op in Munich and its helped me to all odds and ends when trying to get other jobs. Its also a period of time where you get away from all the normal Irish-ness which surrounds you in college here. Do it, it will definetly make you a more rounded individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

dv wrote: »
    Hey simu, thanks for replying.

Spending one semester is obligatory for my course but I've been thinking about spending a second semester abroad aswell.

Becoming fluent in french would definately be reason enough to go. To be honest, I kind of can't wait..

Anyway, thanks again.

So how did the Erasmus go in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

I wanna do this but dont think my course will let me =(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

So how did the Erasmus go in the end?

That post was seven years old :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

That post was seven years old :rolleyes:

Clearly. I still want to know how it went for him/her though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Clearly. I still want to know how it went for him/her though!

dv:Last Activity: 13-01-2008 16:29

:)

Advertisement