Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Time Drivers 30+ Age Discrimination

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Get your hands on a copy of the summary of the MIAB report. It will open your eyes. Young drivers aren't nearly as high risk as they make out, and lumping everyone between 17-25 together is ridiculous, as the difference between the 17-20 and 21-25 age groups is quite large :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by herbie747
    I bet you drive fast too

there you go again, accusing me cause I'm young and have a modded car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by ando
    there you go again, accusing me cause I'm young and have a modded car

Don't act so innocent. Everyone knows that 30mph is way too slow on an average main road. It is necessary to drive at least 35mph to maintain reasonable forward progress with other motorists.
    Are you trying to tell everyone you drive slower than old ladies? Because if you stick to the speed limits all the time Ando, you must have a constant trail of traffic waiting behind you. That must be embarrasing- especailly in a "modded" car...ha.

Man, if what you say is true, you must get no respect from other drivers: normal drivers think you're a knob-end because you drive a maxed up wannabe rally car, and other boy-racers will think you're a puff cause you drive within the speed limits.....AND your insurance is high. Jaysus, you don't have it easy mate!

Note: How could I have been "accusing you because you are young"? I don't know your age! You never said how old you were.
    There you go again, accusing me of things I never said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by seamus
    Get your hands on a copy of the summary of the MIAB report. It will open your eyes. Young drivers aren't nearly as high risk as they make out, and lumping everyone between 17-25 together is ridiculous, as the difference between the 17-20 and 21-25 age groups is quite large :)

Good point.
    Most boy-racers are probably within the 17-20 age group anyway, (most of them eventually grow out of it), so I guess it would be better to split the current age bracket in two. I'd say the premiums would still be quite expensive though, but if the "mad-yoke" boy-racers weren't contributing to our statistics, maybe we wouldn't be considered so high-risk.

Ando: I'm not saying they cause ALL of the accidents, but they do cause a lot of them within that age bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At the root of the problem it seems to me is the fact that insurance companies operate on the asumption that a driver will cost "them" rather than encouraging good behaviour by saying well you have'nt done anything wrong yet so we'll set the premium to reflect that fact.

In law you're innocent until proved otherwise in insurance its the other way round...
    Unless the mods change the way the car drives (port grinding, wider alloys, etc) or increases the value (for those fully comp) then I don't see any reason why the insurance company should be informed.

Seamus, on insurance and modding, I tend to assume that modding is making your car "harder, faster, stronger" not sticking a set of fogs and an airdam on the front end...thats just playing around. Still I wonder how many do mention it in passing...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Insurance is all about risk. If you add anything to a car that wasn't on it when it left the factory, you are obliged to inform the Insurance company. Anything that might increase the likelyhood of it being nicked, like a stereo, alloy wheels or even some stick on graphics all should be declared to the insurance company.

There were lots of stories of insurance companies in the UK, refusing to cover claims because of undeclared modifications, that were discovered when the car was recovered.

Theres normally something on your policy about it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Insurance really ticks me off. I don't mind paying a lot of money for something I am going to use, but I had to pay £1000 two years ago to insure a 49cc scooter!

I wasn't in any kind of accident or made any kind of claim so that money just got hoovered up by the insurers.

It annoys me that insurance costs so much for something you probably aren't going to use... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When I was 20 they said they preferred drivers over 25. When I was 25 they said they preferred drivers over 30. Now that I'm 30 ..... maybe I won't but into their bloody sytem after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Well Victor,
    I got the same speech over the years. Now I am 30 with two years as named driver and can't get insurance on my own.
    Due to the fact that they want at least 3 years or even 5 years of NCB

This sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Gmodified
    Well Victor,
    I got the same speech over the years. Now I am 30 with two years as named driver and can't get insurance on my own.
    Due to the fact that they want at least 3 years or even 5 years of NCB
    This sucks.

I had exactly the same problem. :mad: I'm on my second clean licence too. Try Stuarts Insurance (broker). I got the best deal from them. What was curious was that I got insured through a company who wouldn't insure me directly, only through a broker. Go figure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement