Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parenting Classes

Options
  • 17-04-2003 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Parenting Classes , this can be a lil contraversial :)

Those of us that are Lucky enough to have kids , kow that is is a hard job and that it is one you cant do over and really dont want to screw up.

So anything you can do to make it easier on you and the children
    and make life more fun is worth while doing.

With this in mind I signed up to do parenting classes at the local
    primary school. It was being run by another parent, during class time and there was a creche and the promise of tea/coffee and chocolate bickies.

Now Parenting classes are not anything new, mine own parents did one when I was about 12 and personally i hated them for doing it as it changed all the rules and what i could get away with.

The classes were 2hours long and ran for 8 weeks.
    It was well worth doing.

There are differnt techinces to dealing with problems,
    how to know when ur child is trying to start a power struggle ect
    ( lets face it from 3 mnth on they are learning how to push our buttons ).

the book was really good but the best bit was talking with the other parents, Learning what you do right , that they have had the same type issues with thier lil darlings and different ways to tackle stuff. The Brainstorming was really good.

Most schools primary schools run them but mine didnt exclude parents who did not have children enrolled, some of the mothers had children in the local toddler group were in the classes.

The module that was done was " From Pram to primary school "
    it is part of the courses by the familyparenting trust.

http://www.familycaring.co.uk/

I found it a good help and dont see why parent would not do one.

Advertisement