Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Build PC's

• 18-04-2003 2:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I don't know if this is the right place for this, but anyway.

I'm looking to buy a pc online, but all I need to but is the CPU. I don't want to build myself, as I've had a few bad experiences..... (don't ask) anyway, I have the monitor, etc all I want is a pre-built CPU. Does anyone know a cheap online store that will do this for me, I've tried searching online, no luck. It can be in Ireland or England.

Cheers

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Originally posted by Lump
    Right, I don't know if this is the right place for this, but anyway.

I'm looking to buy a pc online, but all I need to but is the CPU. I don't want to build myself, as I've had a few bad experiences..... (don't ask) anyway, I have the monitor, etc all I want is a pre-built CPU. Does anyone know a cheap online store that will do this for me, I've tried searching online, no luck. It can be in Ireland or England.

Cheers

John

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38836

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by Lump
    I want is a pre-built CPU.

John, you are aware that a CPU is a single hardware component that is approximately the size of a packet of cigarettes.

If it is a full computer that you are looking for. Then try the Komplett or Elara boards to see what thay have on offer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Marx Computers are good for custom built machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'm confused - you want someone to build a PC for you or you want a CPU. Which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

He wants a retailer who'll sell him the base box with the bits he specs out in it.

Go to you're local dealers.
    Or buy the bits off komplett and get a mate of yours to assemble it.
    Just mind yourself when putting on the heatsink on the cpu, especially if it's an athlon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Fit the parts yourself ya big woman! :)

You probably only need to upgrade the mobo, memory, processor and gfx card - there's no point buying a new modem, sound card, cd drives, disk drives, case, power supply, etc. Most manufacturers nowadays realise that novice users are fitting parts themselves and make things foolproof. My Gigabye mobo came with a colour chart showing exactly where everything goes, and good (not great) instuctions for connecting the power supply.

I don't know what your previous bad experiences were, but it's a piece of piss to fit parts yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

My previous bad experiences include buying a motherboard and all the other gear ust to have it die on me..... and no-one to be able to tell me what component was nackered.... so I went and bought a new mother board, ram and processor for it not to work a second time. I just want a computer that works..... I dont have 100's of Euro to hand out when things break.

Anyway I found a nice new PC for 700 Euro pre-built and delivered to my house in England.

John

Oh and by CPU.... I mean the whole box full of stuff not the little bitty processor, I didn't think I'd need to explain that to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I think we all know what you are talking about when you say CPU. BTW do you still have any of those old parts that don't work? I might be able to get them going again : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by Pimp Ninja
    John, you are aware that a CPU is a single hardware component that is approximately the size of a packet of cigarettes.

Apparently I had to explain it to him. Anyway, I still have all the components in England.... Thy may appear for sale on here in the future.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

U weren't doing a Raiden impression and zapping them with static? Send them back for a refund if they're broken. The hardest thing I found with my mobo was connecting it to the power switch. If the pins from the power switch aren't connected right the board won't work. In exteme cases you might have to get out the soldering iron and take it to the switch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement