Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

premiership play-off

• 18-04-2003 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

if united and arsenal end up all square on points and goal difference, there will be a 'final' played in a neutral venue to decide the title.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Is that a question or a statement?

If it's a statement you're wrong, if the points and goal difference are equal, the team with the highest total goals scored wins, if that's equal it's the team who conceded the least. After that they toss a coin I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

if that's equal it's the team who conceded the least.

That can never happen. :)

I reckon there is about 1/1000 chance of ending up a playoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson

If it's a statement you're wrong,

Hate to make you look silly but you should really try reading the current sports news before being so blunt.....

"Manchester United and Arsenal will face a winner-takes-all Premiership title play-off if the championship race ends in a dead heat.
    The Premier League has confirmed that if the two sides finish level on both goal difference and goals scored, they would play a decider at a neutral venue. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/2958047.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

According to Sky Premier league rules ,goal difference can be null and void if the possibility of 2 teams finish on same points can play a game at Cardiff with massive tv audience.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Guess that you've been told there Sheds... Anyway i read that on the sky sports site alright and it is also on the FA website. I cannot see it happen though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

yup, colour me owned alright. Still, the last couple of times this possibility came up I'm pretty sure that was the method they were going to use :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd watch that game! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't think it's right to decide a years worth of matches on one single tie. At the very least they should make it a two legged affair as the better team invariably comes out of them victorious.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

5 goals in it, as far as goals scored is concerned - to the Arse obviously. And one goal in the goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I cant see it happening, but if it does, It'd probably get more publicity then the world cup final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i cannot see this happening at all.

both teams will have to finish up with the same points, same goal difference, goals scored. there is no way that will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

If Arsenal win their game in hand against Southampton 1-0, niot beyond the realms of possibilty then the goal difference and points are the same. If united score 3 goals more then Arsenal in the last three games then it is a playoff situation. It is a very real possibilty and I think that it would be a great climax to a great season. It would be like '89 all over again, except this time the gunners would hopefully be on the losing side.

What ???

Arsenal have a better goal difference already. If they win 1-0 then they are two goal ahead of United on goal difference...

If United score three goals more than Arsenal in the last three games it will obviously depend on the number of goals scored by their opposition. If Arsenal won their three games (after Southampton 1-0) by 1-0 and United Won 2-0 in every game then United would win the league by virtue of their superior goal difference. If United won 2-1 in every game (having outscored Arsenal by a goal in every game = 3 goals) then Arsenal would win the league by virtue of a better goal difference.

F A GD
    Man U 66 32 34
    Arsenal 71 36 35

If Arsenal beat sou 1-0 then they would be 72 36 36, which is 6 more goals scored and 2 better goal difference. While it is not impossible that the league would go to a play-off, it is very unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bobsmith833

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    If it's a statement you're wrong, if the points and goal difference are equal, the team with the highest total goals scored wins, if that's equal it's the team who conceded the least.
    Whoever put that last category in clearly wasn't thinking straight - if goal difference is the same and goals scored is the same, then there's no way the goals conceded can be different - it just doesn't add up!

I agree with previous posters that the chances of pts, GD and GS all being identical is really very small. We'll know more by the time we go into the final round of matches, but I would expect one or other side to have to register a 6-4 final game victory or something for it to kick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Sorry I meesed up on the maths, but i still think there is a fair chance it can happen. In their last four league games United have scored 15 goals, i think Arseanl have sored less then 9. On current form United are capable of making that goals scored up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

UNITED FOR THE TITLE!!!!

I think Newcastle are out of it at this stage Dan...

Advertisement