Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xBox, MarantzSR4200 and 5.1/DTS

• 18-04-2003 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Guys

I've got the above setup and am connecting to the TV with an RGB enabled scart. The thing is, I don't seem to be getting any digital recgnition using an optical cable to the SR4200 - It's got me wondering does this receiver do the biz with a games console?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Theres a few steps to follow, and you'll need 3 cables also:
    scart->3xphono-out, scart->6xphono, optical cable

Connect the video from your x-box to the dss/vcr2 video-in at the back of the sr4200 (using the scart->3xphono-out), you can connect the l-r analog audio as well if you want.

Connect the TV to the SR4200 with the scart->6-phono:
    Video-In Plug -> Monitor-out on the SR4200.
    Audio-Out (L/R plugs) -> TV L/R audio on the SR4200.

Connect the optical cable from the x-box to the first optical in, then go to the SR4200's digital-in menu and make sure D1 is set to DSS/VCR2. (D1 & D2 are the optical inputs, D3 and D4 are coaxial).

Turn on X-Box.
    Turn on TV and set to AV.
    Switch SR4200 to DSS/VCR2 and hey presto X-Box video and Digital sound (use the A/D button to switch between that and analogue if required).

Just a note on the SR4200, never put anything on top of it, it really doesn't like to overheat, and an occasional hoover over the vents or open it up and use a air duster works wonders cos it doesn't like dust as well (both overheating and dust can lead to excessive hiss and very noticeable crackling).
    Also does yours have a ground connection on the rear power connector?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Thanks for the detailed reply, Kali.

I've got a temporary workaround sorted until I try your suggestion. I've popped the scart from the xBox into the Aux on the DVD player, unfortunately there seems to be signaling problems here, and I find loss of data with AV1 popping up on the TV screen every few seconds.

You suggest using the DSS/VCR2 - that's already configured for my NTL set top box. I presume VCR1 would be ok, as I don't use it? Into Maplins tomorrow for the cables then.

Aye you can use any of the selections that have a Video input DVD/DSS/VCR1 (or TV even), I just chose DSS/VCR2 as an example.

Originally posted by Kali

Just a note on the SR4200, never put anything on top of it, it really doesn't like to overheat, and an occasional hoover over the vents or open it up and use a air duster works wonders cos it doesn't like dust as well (both overheating and dust can lead to excessive hiss and very noticeable crackling).
    Also does yours have a ground connection on the rear power connector?

Emm - not realy sure. I just use the standard connection that came supplied. Enlighten me, please. :)

Check the power socket at the back of the unit.. 2 or 3 prongs?

• Advertisement

Check the power socket at the back of the unit.. 2 or 3 prongs?
    I'm wondering whether a build up of static is one of the main sources of interference and crackling I get through my unit.

Two pronged as well.

I haven't encountered any interference/crackling however.

Advertisement