Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

co ax cable query

Options
  • 18-04-2003 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I know that this is not a sat query but dont know where else to post it.
    we recently moved house and the reception from the roof top aerial (i am in Scotland) was rubbish. Anyway I had call to go up a ladder this pm and noticed that the cable was broken (clean break) and stuck together with tape. Iam sure that this is why the reception was crap, so my query is can i fix it and if so how? or do i need to replace all the cable from the aerial to the house

Thanks in advance

cujimmy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bit of a job if its wired through the house as you would need to replace all of it.
    Alternitvley repairing it may be a better option some googleing should get you the correct wiring for it then just attach some new wire to the break and it should be fine.

kdjac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can use F connectors to join it.
    B&Q - they have dem up there ?- sell a "maxview" "satellite cable connecting kit." which has two F connectors and a barrel and instruction on the packet - should do the job.

You will also need to waterproof the join with amalgamating tape - it's the silicone stuff that stretches to three times it's length.

If water has gotten into the cable or the reception ain't sorted then you should replace the cable. Get shielded cable - it's like ordinary cable except it has a foil as well as braid - the stuff used for satellite / digital terresterial tv - more expensive but worth it especially if you opt for the copper rather than the aluminium stuff (more corrosin resistant ?).

Join the ends of the old and new cable - so as you pull out the old on the new one follows - make sure the centre wires are well joined and use tape to stream line the join so it don't get caught - and when you have pulled it through - cut off and discard the first foot of the new cable as it will probably be streatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

thanks guys will try it over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Moved to the Terrestrial board.

Advertisement