Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection to Net using a Nokia 6310i What option have I

Options
  • 18-04-2003 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭

Using my Nokia 6310i as a modem VIA and IR port on a laptop. I want to setup my 6310i to dial to the internet just to check e-mail and surf a small bit. My understanding of the 6310i is that I will be able to connect @ 43.6 using HSCSD connection. I have the phone installed as a modem and when I query the modem is works ok. Does anyone know the 087 Vodafone number I can dial for cheap calls and what username and password should I use?

Also I know I can use GPRS but I havent this setup on my phone yet..

Can someone please advise me and the best options for this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Make sure you have downloaded the latest drivers of nokia, using the app that appears in the control panel set your modem to isdn v110 and the speed up as far as it will go. The number is +353876202222 username and password is vodafone. ANother easier option is to head over to vodafone.ie and and download connect me which will do all the hard work for you (for both hscsd and GPRS). Ive found connection is better using a cable or bluetooth than over infrared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

Ok I can connect using the phone my but only @ 9.6k which is away to slow...

I have check in Control Panel and in Modems and it just says there Stanrdard modem using IR

When I go to Nokia Modem Options It doesnt see any installed modems and all the options to change the speed are greyed out...

all confused :(

heheh I got the ltest Nokia .inf file to update the modem nowI have all the options but I still only connect @ 28.8 buts thinsg are getting better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If you are dialing an ordinary isp, like eircom or oceanfree you will only get 28.8. If you dial into the vodafone isp number, you will get the 37 or so speed connection. Makue sure, as said above you have isdn ticked.

Gav

All sorted Im know connected at 39.4 im a happy camper now :) thanks Guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

any way a connection can be achieved using the data cable??

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

yes it's just as good if not better using the data cable, just download the newest 6310i software from the nokia site and follow the instructions above, or else get vodafone connect me a free download of their site. HSCSD only works on vodafone, both O2 and vodafone have gprs. You also need to get high speed data enabled on your account (no charge) just ring customer care to get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I use GPRS on a Nokia 6310i with o2. Max speed is 57kbps, though it feels more like a 32k modem because of the latency. I pay about 2 euros per megabyte. It's okay for checking emails and checking a few web sites without having to watch the clock, or even going on IRC, but useless for downloading (because of the cost).

Advertisement