Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completely Piised Off!

Options
  • 12-05-1998 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Hi there ..

This isn't a glory run or anything of such, I just think I should give you people a little
    History lesson.. A long time ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away....

About a year or so ago the nice people at IOL provided some rather base quake servers with
    no modifications, patches and nobody had admin rights. For those of you around long enough
    will remember trying to do a clan war was near impossible. Imagine ten or so players with
    itchy fingers trying not to pick up weapons and not kill each other till the server rotated
    to the level which was agreed and then shouting GO for the game to begin. If you ever tried
    it you would remember it was complete mayhem and in alot of cases caused animosity among your
    own team never mind your opponents. In any event it was Shiite.

Indigo's commitment to the gaming scene was three CTF servers which had some sort of
    maintenance but always remained as ctf with no future to expand to any other patches.

At that time, the main scene for information consisted of Zero's News, the Greenfields and the
    Irish Quake Post. Other sites were set-up along with clan pages, etc. New clans form, Old ones
    died and even some of em break through firewalls to come alive on the scene.

Telecom Internet went into business.

Around the same time, Eddie 'Rockett' Curry set-up the Irish Games Network and established a
    relationship with Telecom Internet and with alot of correspondence and meetings with TiNet and
    ID software brought to life quake.ie. A Team fortress and a Free for All server were
    initially set-up by TiNet and the IGN. Just to let you know that TiNET and the IGN actually
    went out and bought a dedicated server at the value of about £5,000 pound. This did not
    include the hosting of the server which costs about £16,000 pound per year in bandwidth
    issues. I could go on and on here but I wont, not just yet..

In the meantime while everyone was playing on IOL and Indigo, John 'Cloud Warrior' Breslin,
    Dermot 'MouseRat' Friel, Ed Curry and a few other players you know well were working hard on
    the quake.ie web site getting it ready for the official launch of the site.

Mid Summer last year was the first major meet of most of the players in Ireland. At QuakeFest
    which was hosted by Ray 'Carnate' Casey and assisted by myself. Over 200 people from all
    over the country came up for it. I can tell you personally that event cost Ray a fair deal both
    in monetary terms and in his personal life. The organisation and time was quite extensive with
    the renting of things like the big tent to getting chairs, beer and food, etc.. Anybody who
    was at QuakeFest will remember it as simply amazing crack.

With the success of QuakeFest, I decided to put together QuakeLords shortly afterwards. You would
    not believe the amount of work, time, blood and guts I put into that. At that time, I got in
    contact with TiNet who were more than helpful in getting this event on the road. I actually
    managed to get them to host 6 duel quake servers and even went over to their premises and set
    them up with Conor McGovern into the wee hours of the morning. I had admin rights, patches,
    access to all and everything on those servers something which was completely unheard of in the
    gaming scene.

I would not like to think I was the start of all this, more that I had good timing. Anyhow,
    off I went and the competition went ahead. All the way up to the final I had intended to charge
    at the door so I could cover the costs of hiring the TempleBar Music centre. At the last moment,
    Lorcan Brophy from TiNet told me that TiNet would cover the cost of the hall aswell. Amazing. Not
    only did they give the quake community some servers, hosted them, gave us access, helped set-up
    the final, gave sound technical support, paid for the hall, they then such prizes from cool
    jackets to free tinet accounts!

QuakeMas was organised as a social gathering by Lorenzo 'Blade' Caira and Tom 'Devore'. A great
    session to be had and many more followed in its footsteps. More beer and even better games in
    Trinity which most piiss-ups regularly ended up thanx to the CT guys.

After Christmas, the quake.ie servers really came into power. Incidentally, both myself and
    Conor McGovern spent XMAS eve till very late getting the servers up and running for XMAS Day play
    and I know that John Breslin spent hours upon hours creating and maintaining quake.ie over the
    XMAS period. Enough of that.

In January a major change occurred for the servers as the complete server was changed from NT to
    Linux and the bandwidth increased. Alot of tweaking and fixing was required just to get them to
    a playable condition, never mind anything else. Along comes Quake II and even more servers are
    set-up.

More social gatherings occur with the likes of the Celtic Warriors day out in Global Cafe and the
    trip to both UCG and UL to meet up with Guns Islanders and Na Daghda. All successful quake meets.

The IGN starts hosing clan pages. Mailing groups and clan emails are given out, all set-up
    and working just nicely for all concerned. A team of guys come aboard doing various pages for
    the site. Alan 'As' Sweeney, Ronan 'Zero' Condon, Mick(ah) McGuiness, Brian 'Helg' Davey to
    name a few who put their back-sides into their pages.

Qamex ran by Helg and other prominent quake players opens. A few other here-today-gone-tomorrow
    sites open and various other things occur.

Then comes the IQCL, which really set things in motion thanx to Dermot, John and Conor. I knew
    what is involved so I got stuck in on the game admin side along with Ben 'Kaile' Shouldice and
    spent many a happy hour sorting out matches. The WWWBoard takes off major and with it some
    interesting threads and some very outspoken characters participating.

The Hiberian Irish Quake Team takes off with Ronan 'Zero' at the forefront. The team actually
    kick the hell outta one of the UK's top teams which launches Irish quake players into a frantic
    time.

I gear myself up for the new QuakeLords '98 competition and start putting the web site up.

Some loudmouthed comments and rather unsociable behaviour starts appearing on the WWWboard and it
    was only a matter of time when it would go wrong which inevitably it did which resulted in the
    board closing for a week or so and Zero leaving quake.

Other Things occur..

----

All this time people are playing on the servers and demanding, complaining, screaming all over
    the net about how Shiite the IGN and Tinet is. I've been off-line for the last month, but I have
    been watching the WWWboard and I also have been very active in the background working on the
    setting up of the IQCL final, the QuakeLords competition, meeting in Galway and Dublin for the
    Irish Games Network and also doing various work on the quake.ie servers never mind the other
    things that you guys aren't even aware of yet.

All this work that I have done, never mind those people I just mentioned above and it now feels
    like a big stab in the back with the rantings of some you players who have and do jack shiit for
    the Irish quake world.

I've talked to John, Conor and Ed and we have to agree that not only does your comments piiss us off
    but we find them abusive. Personally, I done alot for quake and it feels that I no matter what I do
    I get no fuuckin respect from lame ass newbies who haven't got the foggiest fuuckin idea of how much
    time and effort we put in. Yeah you might be great players, you could probably wipe my ass in
    a DM but one thing you haven't got is a bit of courtesy and respect.

Sure there is issues which require fixing with the servers, but there is only so many hours in a
    day and there is only so much resources one can get a handle on at any one time. Hey I don't mind
    constructive complaints and the odd biitching, but some of your comments are way outta line.

You moan that you don't have a server and when your provided with one you then question the manner
    in which we provide it. Id rather you all go and fuuckyouself and play on the shiitty IOL servers or
    some other server, host your own web pages, get your own emails and mailing lists, set-up and
    look after the various competitions going on, etc, etc and above all just F U C K O F F cos I know I
    got better things to be doing with my time than listening to some pubescent fuuckwit.

If your not here to help solve the problems then don't be part of the problem.

Over the years I've made some great friends from the net and in general I think most of you are great.
    But there is the arsewipes. You guys have gone too far this time.

Eric Mooney.
    MindPhuck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Damn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Death

Fair Fux to ya, ur right bout all of it all we are is ungrateful fucwits so its a bout time that we started to show ppl like Eric and John the respect that they deserve instead of running there sites and servers down, if ya want to complain FUC off and make ur own sites and servers as Eric says :P

And no i aint being sarcastic.

: I've talked to John, Conor and Ed and we have to agree that not only does your comments piiss us off
    : but we find them abusive. Personally, I done alot for quake and it feels that I no matter what I do
    : I get no fuuckin respect from lame ass newbies who haven't got the foggiest fuuckin idea of how much
    : time and effort we put in.

Speaking as a lame-ass newbie, I have to agree with you there, I don't have a lot of respect for you.
    Don't get me wrong, i'm grateful for all the work you've done for Irish Quake, and I respect all your efforts for us, but I find it difficult to respect you personally.
    To me, you've seemed quite inconsiderate in many ways, both online and in real life. It's strange, you can be a fairly charismatic person when you choose to be, but you also often behave like such a goddamn git! As least, so I find.
    So, if you're looking for more respect, i'd advise you try and give more respect to others, even us lame-ass newbies! :)
    I'd clarify what I mean when I advise you to give ppl a bit more respect, but I don't want to post anything defamatory to this board after the recent scandal. Besides, I think you know what i'm on about.

-James O'Byrne.

: Yeah you might be great players, you could probably wipe my ass in
    : a DM but one thing you haven't got is a bit of courtesy and respect.

Hehehehe, I said something just like this to you not too long ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Dearest Jim,

It appears that maybe i have been a naughty boy toward yourself and a apology is required. But alas if your dumbass tactics and pure lameness continues then you surely fit in that category I talked about.

You Are A Muppet.
    Resistance is Futile.
    Copyright (c) brother Reaper.

It's funny Eric,

Overlord and I were talking about 2 weeks ago b4 any of this
    back-biting ever occured and I asked him about you and how good you were
    at Quake, because I had never played you one on one, since I started
    playing Quake, over a year ago.

The description of your Quake playing ability is not relevant here
    but what is relevant, is that I told him he should accidently (on
    purpose) let you beat him every now and then, and suffer what every
    blow to his(OL's) pride it took.

Why? Because....

He said that if people like you ever loose interest in Quake or ever
    find something else - Irish Quake would recover - but it would take a
    damn long fuucking time!

nuf said
    g'night

Kobra

• Advertisement

: Hi there ..

: This isn't a glory run or anything of such, I just think I should give you people a little
    : History lesson.. A long time ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away....

:
    : About a year or so ago the nice people at IOL provided some rather base quake servers with
    : no modifications, patches and nobody had admin rights. For those of you around long enough
    : will remember trying to do a clan war was near impossible. Imagine ten or so players with
    : itchy fingers trying not to pick up weapons and not kill each other till the server rotated
    : to the level which was agreed and then shouting GO for the game to begin. If you ever tried
    : it you would remember it was complete mayhem and in alot of cases caused animosity among your
    : own team never mind your opponents. In any event it was Shiite.

: Indigo's commitment to the gaming scene was three CTF servers which had some sort of
    : maintenance but always remained as ctf with no future to expand to any other patches.

: At that time, the main scene for information consisted of Zero's News, the Greenfields and the
    : Irish Quake Post. Other sites were set-up along with clan pages, etc. New clans form, Old ones
    : died and even some of em break through firewalls to come alive on the scene.

: Telecom Internet went into business.

: Around the same time, Eddie 'Rockett' Curry set-up the Irish Games Network and established a
    : relationship with Telecom Internet and with alot of correspondence and meetings with TiNet and
    : ID software brought to life quake.ie. A Team fortress and a Free for All server were
    : initially set-up by TiNet and the IGN. Just to let you know that TiNET and the IGN actually
    : went out and bought a dedicated server at the value of about £5,000 pound. This did not
    : include the hosting of the server which costs about £16,000 pound per year in bandwidth
    : issues. I could go on and on here but I wont, not just yet..

: In the meantime while everyone was playing on IOL and Indigo, John 'Cloud Warrior' Breslin,
    : Dermot 'MouseRat' Friel, Ed Curry and a few other players you know well were working hard on
    : the quake.ie web site getting it ready for the official launch of the site.

: Mid Summer last year was the first major meet of most of the players in Ireland. At QuakeFest
    : which was hosted by Ray 'Carnate' Casey and assisted by myself. Over 200 people from all
    : over the country came up for it. I can tell you personally that event cost Ray a fair deal both
    : in monetary terms and in his personal life. The organisation and time was quite extensive with
    : the renting of things like the big tent to getting chairs, beer and food, etc.. Anybody who
    : was at QuakeFest will remember it as simply amazing crack.

: With the success of QuakeFest, I decided to put together QuakeLords shortly afterwards. You would
    : not believe the amount of work, time, blood and guts I put into that. At that time, I got in
    : contact with TiNet who were more than helpful in getting this event on the road. I actually
    : managed to get them to host 6 duel quake servers and even went over to their premises and set
    : them up with Conor McGovern into the wee hours of the morning. I had admin rights, patches,
    : access to all and everything on those servers something which was completely unheard of in the
    : gaming scene.

: I would not like to think I was the start of all this, more that I had good timing. Anyhow,
    : off I went and the competition went ahead. All the way up to the final I had intended to charge
    : at the door so I could cover the costs of hiring the TempleBar Music centre. At the last moment,
    : Lorcan Brophy from TiNet told me that TiNet would cover the cost of the hall aswell. Amazing. Not
    : only did they give the quake community some servers, hosted them, gave us access, helped set-up
    : the final, gave sound technical support, paid for the hall, they then such prizes from cool
    : jackets to free tinet accounts!

: QuakeMas was organised as a social gathering by Lorenzo 'Blade' Caira and Tom 'Devore'. A great
    : session to be had and many more followed in its footsteps. More beer and even better games in
    : Trinity which most piiss-ups regularly ended up thanx to the CT guys.

: After Christmas, the quake.ie servers really came into power. Incidentally, both myself and
    : Conor McGovern spent XMAS eve till very late getting the servers up and running for XMAS Day play
    : and I know that John Breslin spent hours upon hours creating and maintaining quake.ie over the
    : XMAS period. Enough of that.

: In January a major change occurred for the servers as the complete server was changed from NT to
    : Linux and the bandwidth increased. Alot of tweaking and fixing was required just to get them to
    : a playable condition, never mind anything else. Along comes Quake II and even more servers are
    : set-up.

: More social gatherings occur with the likes of the Celtic Warriors day out in Global Cafe and the
    : trip to both UCG and UL to meet up with Guns Islanders and Na Daghda. All successful quake meets.

: The IGN starts hosing clan pages. Mailing groups and clan emails are given out, all set-up
    : and working just nicely for all concerned. A team of guys come aboard doing various pages for
    : the site. Alan 'As' Sweeney, Ronan 'Zero' Condon, Mick(ah) McGuiness, Brian 'Helg' Davey to
    : name a few who put their back-sides into their pages.

: Qamex ran by Helg and other prominent quake players opens. A few other here-today-gone-tomorrow
    : sites open and various other things occur.

: Then comes the IQCL, which really set things in motion thanx to Dermot, John and Conor. I knew
    : what is involved so I got stuck in on the game admin side along with Ben 'Kaile' Shouldice and
    : spent many a happy hour sorting out matches. The WWWBoard takes off major and with it some
    : interesting threads and some very outspoken characters participating.

: The Hiberian Irish Quake Team takes off with Ronan 'Zero' at the forefront. The team actually
    : kick the hell outta one of the UK's top teams which launches Irish quake players into a frantic
    : time.

: I gear myself up for the new QuakeLords '98 competition and start putting the web site up.

: Some loudmouthed comments and rather unsociable behaviour starts appearing on the WWWboard and it
    : was only a matter of time when it would go wrong which inevitably it did which resulted in the
    : board closing for a week or so and Zero leaving quake.

: Other Things occur..

: ----

: All this time people are playing on the servers and demanding, complaining, screaming all over
    : the net about how Shiite the IGN and Tinet is. I've been off-line for the last month, but I have
    : been watching the WWWboard and I also have been very active in the background working on the
    : setting up of the IQCL final, the QuakeLords competition, meeting in Galway and Dublin for the
    : Irish Games Network and also doing various work on the quake.ie servers never mind the other
    : things that you guys aren't even aware of yet.

: All this work that I have done, never mind those people I just mentioned above and it now feels
    : like a big stab in the back with the rantings of some you players who have and do jack shiit for
    : the Irish quake world.

: I've talked to John, Conor and Ed and we have to agree that not only does your comments piiss us off
    : but we find them abusive. Personally, I done alot for quake and it feels that I no matter what I do
    : I get no fuuckin respect from lame ass newbies who haven't got the foggiest fuuckin idea of how much
    : time and effort we put in. Yeah you might be great players, you could probably wipe my ass in

: Sure there is issues which require fixing with the servers, but there is only so many hours in a
    : day and there is only so much resources one can get a handle on at any one time. Hey I don't mind
    : constructive complaints and the odd biitching, but some of your comments are way outta line.

: You moan that you don't have a server and when your provided with one you then question the manner
    : in which we provide it. Id rather you all go and fuuckyouself and play on the shiitty IOL servers or
    : some other server, host your own web pages, get your own emails and mailing lists, set-up and
    : look after the various competitions going on, etc, etc and above all just F U C K O F F cos I know I
    : got better things to be doing with my time than listening to some pubescent fuuckwit.

: If your not here to help solve the problems then don't be part of the problem.

: Over the years I've made some great friends from the net and in general I think most of you are great.
    : But there is the arsewipes. You guys have gone too far this time.

:
    : Eric Mooney.
    : MindPhuck

It's quite simple really. Eric is a really sound guy. All the serious players in Irish Quake know each other quite well, and get on like a house on fire. The people who moan are the spotty teenage muppets. Unfortunately these muppets form the vast majority of players in this country. Just ignore them.

: Hi there ..

: This isn't a glory run or anything of such, I just think I should give you people a little
    : History lesson.. A long time ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away....

:
    : About a year or so ago the nice people at IOL provided some rather base quake servers with
    : no modifications, patches and nobody had admin rights. For those of you around long enough
    : will remember trying to do a clan war was near impossible. Imagine ten or so players with
    : itchy fingers trying not to pick up weapons and not kill each other till the server rotated
    : to the level which was agreed and then shouting GO for the game to begin. If you ever tried
    : it you would remember it was complete mayhem and in alot of cases caused animosity among your
    : own team never mind your opponents. In any event it was Shiite.

: Indigo's commitment to the gaming scene was three CTF servers which had some sort of
    : maintenance but always remained as ctf with no future to expand to any other patches.

: At that time, the main scene for information consisted of Zero's News, the Greenfields and the
    : Irish Quake Post. Other sites were set-up along with clan pages, etc. New clans form, Old ones
    : died and even some of em break through firewalls to come alive on the scene.

: Telecom Internet went into business.

: Around the same time, Eddie 'Rockett' Curry set-up the Irish Games Network and established a
    : relationship with Telecom Internet and with alot of correspondence and meetings with TiNet and
    : ID software brought to life quake.ie. A Team fortress and a Free for All server were
    : initially set-up by TiNet and the IGN. Just to let you know that TiNET and the IGN actually
    : went out and bought a dedicated server at the value of about £5,000 pound. This did not
    : include the hosting of the server which costs about £16,000 pound per year in bandwidth
    : issues. I could go on and on here but I wont, not just yet..

: In the meantime while everyone was playing on IOL and Indigo, John 'Cloud Warrior' Breslin,
    : Dermot 'MouseRat' Friel, Ed Curry and a few other players you know well were working hard on
    : the quake.ie web site getting it ready for the official launch of the site.

: Mid Summer last year was the first major meet of most of the players in Ireland. At QuakeFest
    : which was hosted by Ray 'Carnate' Casey and assisted by myself. Over 200 people from all
    : over the country came up for it. I can tell you personally that event cost Ray a fair deal both
    : in monetary terms and in his personal life. The organisation and time was quite extensive with
    : the renting of things like the big tent to getting chairs, beer and food, etc.. Anybody who
    : was at QuakeFest will remember it as simply amazing crack.

: With the success of QuakeFest, I decided to put together QuakeLords shortly afterwards. You would
    : not believe the amount of work, time, blood and guts I put into that. At that time, I got in
    : contact with TiNet who were more than helpful in getting this event on the road. I actually
    : managed to get them to host 6 duel quake servers and even went over to their premises and set
    : them up with Conor McGovern into the wee hours of the morning. I had admin rights, patches,
    : access to all and everything on those servers something which was completely unheard of in the
    : gaming scene.

: I would not like to think I was the start of all this, more that I had good timing. Anyhow,
    : off I went and the competition went ahead. All the way up to the final I had intended to charge
    : at the door so I could cover the costs of hiring the TempleBar Music centre. At the last moment,
    : Lorcan Brophy from TiNet told me that TiNet would cover the cost of the hall aswell. Amazing. Not
    : only did they give the quake community some servers, hosted them, gave us access, helped set-up
    : the final, gave sound technical support, paid for the hall, they then such prizes from cool
    : jackets to free tinet accounts!

: QuakeMas was organised as a social gathering by Lorenzo 'Blade' Caira and Tom 'Devore'. A great
    : session to be had and many more followed in its footsteps. More beer and even better games in
    : Trinity which most piiss-ups regularly ended up thanx to the CT guys.

: After Christmas, the quake.ie servers really came into power. Incidentally, both myself and
    : Conor McGovern spent XMAS eve till very late getting the servers up and running for XMAS Day play
    : and I know that John Breslin spent hours upon hours creating and maintaining quake.ie over the
    : XMAS period. Enough of that.

: In January a major change occurred for the servers as the complete server was changed from NT to
    : Linux and the bandwidth increased. Alot of tweaking and fixing was required just to get them to
    : a playable condition, never mind anything else. Along comes Quake II and even more servers are
    : set-up.

: More social gatherings occur with the likes of the Celtic Warriors day out in Global Cafe and the
    : trip to both UCG and UL to meet up with Guns Islanders and Na Daghda. All successful quake meets.

: The IGN starts hosing clan pages. Mailing groups and clan emails are given out, all set-up
    : and working just nicely for all concerned. A team of guys come aboard doing various pages for
    : the site. Alan 'As' Sweeney, Ronan 'Zero' Condon, Mick(ah) McGuiness, Brian 'Helg' Davey to
    : name a few who put their back-sides into their pages.

: Qamex ran by Helg and other prominent quake players opens. A few other here-today-gone-tomorrow
    : sites open and various other things occur.

: Then comes the IQCL, which really set things in motion thanx to Dermot, John and Conor. I knew
    : what is involved so I got stuck in on the game admin side along with Ben 'Kaile' Shouldice and
    : spent many a happy hour sorting out matches. The WWWBoard takes off major and with it some
    : interesting threads and some very outspoken characters participating.

: The Hiberian Irish Quake Team takes off with Ronan 'Zero' at the forefront. The team actually
    : kick the hell outta one of the UK's top teams which launches Irish quake players into a frantic
    : time.

: I gear myself up for the new QuakeLords '98 competition and start putting the web site up.

: Some loudmouthed comments and rather unsociable behaviour starts appearing on the WWWboard and it
    : was only a matter of time when it would go wrong which inevitably it did which resulted in the
    : board closing for a week or so and Zero leaving quake.

: Other Things occur..

: ----

: All this time people are playing on the servers and demanding, complaining, screaming all over
    : the net about how Shiite the IGN and Tinet is. I've been off-line for the last month, but I have
    : been watching the WWWboard and I also have been very active in the background working on the
    : setting up of the IQCL final, the QuakeLords competition, meeting in Galway and Dublin for the
    : Irish Games Network and also doing various work on the quake.ie servers never mind the other
    : things that you guys aren't even aware of yet.

: All this work that I have done, never mind those people I just mentioned above and it now feels
    : like a big stab in the back with the rantings of some you players who have and do jack shiit for
    : the Irish quake world.

: time and effort we put in. Yeah you might be great players, you could probably wipe my ass in

: Sure there is issues which require fixing with the servers, but there is only so many hours in a
    : day and there is only so much resources one can get a handle on at any one time. Hey I don't mind
    : constructive complaints and the odd biitching, but some of your comments are way outta line.

: You moan that you don't have a server and when your provided with one you then question the manner
    : in which we provide it. Id rather you all go and fuuckyouself and play on the shiitty IOL servers or
    : some other server, host your own web pages, get your own emails and mailing lists, set-up and
    : look after the various competitions going on, etc, etc and above all just F U C K O F F cos I know I
    : got better things to be doing with my time than listening to some pubescent fuuckwit.

: If your not here to help solve the problems then don't be part of the problem.

: Over the years I've made some great friends from the net and in general I think most of you are great.
    : But there is the arsewipes. You guys have gone too far this time.

:
    : Eric Mooney.
    : MindPhuck

It's quite simple really. Eric is a really sound guy. All the serious players in Irish Quake know each other quite well, and get on like a house on fire. The people who moan are the spotty teenage muppets. Unfortunately these muppets form the vast majority of players in this country. Just ignore them.

Advertisement