Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie IM

Options
  • 19-04-2003 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hey,

It'd be cool is boards setup a Jabber/XMPP client.

All the serers etc.. are open source.

Perhaps we could start an IM grassroots type thing in Ireland. IM isn't that big over here so getting everyone to use Jabber would be cool, especially when if/wehn it get's accepted by the IETF.

Here's an article about jabber's uptake in poland:
    http://www.jabber.org/journal/2003-04-15.html

Perhaps we could do the same here?

FAQ: http://www.jabber.org/faq.html

Al lot of the server & client software is opensource & free.

- Kevin, full of ideas lately
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Would it make much difference over the IRC channels boards.ie has?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Well IM is quite a differen beast to IRC.

I use the boards PMs, but they're not suited for real-time communication.

+ does anyone use the boards.ie IRC?

It really is a shame there's no focus for the Irish online community that's real time actually. Not like 1996. :D

- Kevin

have you used boards.ie irc lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

mm, #boards.ie , #fprtress.ie , #quake.ie ,

we have an irc server : ign.ie.quakenet.org:6667

and it works fine for me :P

no changes tbh, irc is where all my real time communications are

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm actually looking at doing some kind of coding project over the summer, and may try something like this over one of the open source protocols (does gnutella have any IM protocols?)

Maybe if the admins agreed/helped, there could be a server running on boards.ie that was linked into the vbulletin db, giving boards.ie username authentication goodness.

Don't push me for more info though, cos I've exams coming up, and I refuse to start thinking about this at least until the end of may :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Is there any cheeky way of getting into IRC from work if you're firewalled?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh, and my yoke would be written in Java so everyone could use it, regardless of OS.

Dapper - do a seach for Http-Tunnel, but it's painfully slow. You can also search for an open CGI:IRC server, but officially that's frowned upon.

(and your avatar is a sheep btw :p)

Originally posted by SearrarD
    have you used boards.ie irc lately?

Not in about 2 months (until today that is)

Boards.ie doesn't have an IRC server itself does it?
    It's just on the quakenet network. It isn't quite as intimate as an Irish only network.

Besides I can't get that java irc client to work. :/

- Kevin

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by p
    Not in about 2 months (until today that is)

Boards.ie doesn't have an IRC server itself does it?
    It's just on the quakenet network. It isn't quite as intimate as an Irish only network.

Besides I can't get that java irc client to work. :/

- Kevin

It's well used. And an Irish only network would be inhabited mostly by tumbleweeds...
    The quakenet one is popular because of the vastness of quakenet.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by CuLT
    It's well used. And an Irish only network would be inhabited mostly by tumbleweeds...
    The quakenet one is popular because of the vastness of quakenet.

Were you around in 1996, remember the Iol IRC server?
    It was absolutely thriving at one stage.

When it was shutdown? the irish IRC community got somewhat split.

You have people who simply stopped using it, then you have people who migrated to the phishy servers, gamers who use the quaknet, and a few other i'm sure I don't know about.

The iol IRC community was pretty cool though, so I think an irc.boards.ie could be class. Perhaps if some of the chanells spanned a few networks. e.g. you could access the #boards.ie from irc.boards.ie & the quaknet servers and #morgue (is it) of phishy?

You could very easily get a community together.
    have a #creativeireland channel for those types,
    a #archeire for those types. Maybe you could even hook up with p45.net, or is there a rivalry between boards & them?

- Kevin, getting all nostalgic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Theres really no need for it. Mirc doesnt allow for multiple servers to be open in the same instance (unlike, say, VIRC), so what youre suggesting would just be a pain in the arse, particularly for those involved in other communities on quakenet. Any necessary IRC channels can be created as the need arises on quakenet - its hardly worth it to shake up the system for benefits such as the 'intimacy' of an irish only server.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Afaik you can have multiple servers on mirc or am i just imagining things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

/server -m server.ip.address will open a new server in the same client in MIRC.

No need for a jabber server in my opinion fortress.ie and boards.ie on quakenet are doing the job fine. Also its kinda nice to have someone to talk about boards which isn't 100% under the boards admins control.

Asuka, I can only assume that you never actually used the irish IRC server then.

Community & intimacy is something that should never be underestimated.

It's the best thing about interacting with other people.

- Kevin

Originally posted by p
    intimacy is something that should never be underestimated.

/msg p Is this intimate enough for ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

there is quite a large community using #boards.ie. However, it has evolved quite a bit to the point where people log on and mostly msg each other; there is little discussion in the main channel itself. Which is quite different to the #quake of yester year.

Perhaps a IM server will cause a bit of shakeup in this, IRC doesn't seem quite so popular in general as it was a few years ago. IM software seems to be what most new internet users are familiar with.

Gav

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Verb, I dunno about that, it can be very lively in the evenings!

Seamus, I think its a good idea, talk to me on irc if you are about and we'll chat about it.

DeV.

Originally posted by p
    Asuka, I can only assume that you never actually used the irish IRC server then.
    p, you assume wrong. I used IOL IRC until the bulk of the community moved to Quakenet - iirc, when it was taken down.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Theres really no need for it. Mirc doesnt allow for multiple servers to be open in the same instance (unlike, say, VIRC)

mIRC does actually....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

DeVore
    Judge Mental

wtf? am I the first to spot this? Don't make me dredge thru a blog to know the answer Dev :).

And no I wasn't around in '96 p, for I was a mere child to the internet, too young to appreciate what my ADSL trial was...

I'm guessing it has something to do with the beta test for supporter packs.

Originally posted by kamobe
    mIRC does actually....
    Yup, so im now told, but it wasnt as obvious in older versions (when i went looking for it).

A

Advertisement