Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle 8i hang when I use a Delete comand...?

Options
  • 19-04-2003 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hey,

The table i'm tring to delete a row from is:

CREATE TABLE Customer
    (
    Customer_ID varchar(6) PRIMARY KEY,
    Firstname varchar(10),
    Surname varchar(10),
    Address varchar(150),
    Phone number(20),
    Mobile number(10),
    Fax number(20),
    Email varchar(30),
    Username varchar(20),
    Password varchar(10)
    );

The table instance i'm tring to delete is:

INSERT INTO Customer VALUES('46744','Robert','Burke','35 Fake street ,','677889','08567596','','fake@campus.ie','customer','password');

The comand I use that makes SQL hang is:

DELETE FROM Customer
    WHERE Customer_ID = '46744';

Has this ever happened to any of you? Any sujestions or help would be much appreiated.

Thanks,
    BoB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Has the machine running oracle got plenty of ram? Has it enough HDD space? Load up the gui and check the amount of free space in the tablespaces. Make sure the temp segment has space available to it. Ive seen oracle hang because of this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Could also be a locking issue. It's difficult to tell without more information about the structure of the rest of the db.

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

You also need to clarify what you mean by "hanging" - is it that the command never terminates? Could it be a commit issue? Or perhaps an index-corruption issue?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

No outstanging transactions-ie has a commit command been entered for the corresponding insertion etc
    i remember now when it happened to me..messing around with multiple sessions open..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭TARE

Cheers lads. I was low on hard drive space at the time. I freed some up and it works now, thanks lynchie ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement